Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed appending needed only after first instance Post 302496616 by 47shailesh on Monday 14th of February 2011 03:41:04 PM
Old 02-14-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by apmcd47
While I can see this working if the file is all on one line I would have thought the result is the same as the original poster's problem.
Yeah on multiple line code in my first reply will fail. However following appears to work in ksh:
Code:
sed '1s:\<falsemodule-option\>:\<falsemodule-option\>\<LdapLogin\>:'

EDIT: Checked this with example works only for line number specified Smilie .

Last edited by 47shailesh; 02-14-2011 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: correction

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replace 2nd instance

Hello, I want to replace 2nd instance of "foo" in a file use sed. Any suggestions? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katrvu
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed on first instance only

Hi, I've been trying to figure this one out and found a post about this on the forum here but the solution didn't seem to work for me. Basically what I have is a file that looks something like: stuff morestuff 0 otherthing 0 etc I want to substitute for the 0 but what I want to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eltinator
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command - substitue first instance

hi i have one file where i want to substitute only first instance of swap with swap1 i want to replcae only first instance of swap in my script i know we can do this with awk. but i need to do this with sed only i tried follwoing code sed 's/swap/swap1' filename but here all... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_swapneel14
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: how to limit pattern search to first instance only

I need to reduce a file's size below 50MB by deleting chucks of text. The following sed does this. sed '/^begpattern/,/endpattern/d' myfile However, it's possible that the file size can get below 50MB by just deleting the first instance of the pattern. How do I code that into sed? Or can awk... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mariod1049
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed can you specify the last instance of a character on a line?

I was told a way to do this with awk earlier today but is there a way with sed to specify the last instance of a character on a line? You will know what character you're looking for but there could be none or one hundred instances of it on a line say and you ONLY want to specify the last one for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed in Appending multiple lines

Hello, There is a log file A.log where new lines are getting added every minute. When ever any new lines are getting added in to A , the same lines needs to be appended to B.log I need to append these newly added lines to end of another file B through a shell script. I tried CAT but its... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: twisterboy
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help needed to put instance numbers

Hi All I need help am having a source file as below emp dept class subclass region country division first i need to get line count and i need to divide by 3 it is an parameter passing value number of lines 7 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragu.selvaraj
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to print first instance of pattern in range

The following text is in testFile.txt: one 5 two 10 three 15 four 20 five 25 six 10 seven 35 eight 10 nine 45 ten 50 I'd like to use sed to print the first occurance of search pattern /10/ in a given range. This command is to be run against large log files, so to optimize efficiency,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: uschaafm
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed for first instance of a pattern

Hi Everyone, I have the below information from a log file: LOAD SUMMARY ============ WRT_8036 Target: TGT_1_TAB (Instance Name: ) WRT_8039 Inserted rows - Requested: 3929 Applied: 0 Rejected: 3929 Affected: 0 Mutated from update: 3929 WRT_8041 Updated rows ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: galaxy_rocky
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to grab first instance of a range

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and also relatively new to sed and other such wonderfully epic tools. I'm attempting to grab a section of text between two words, but it seems to match all instances of the range instead of stopping at just the first. This occurs when I use: sed -n... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lazarix
7 Replies
XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)

NAME
xsil2graphics - generate scripts to load xsil output data files SYNOPSIS
xsil2graphics [options] <xsil_file> DESCRIPTION
Utility program bundled with xmds, used to generate scripts that load simulation output data into either matlab (http://www.mathworks.com) or scilab (http://www.scilab.org), which are then used to manipulate the results further if necessary and then to present the results graphically. Matlab To generate a matlab m-file, from the xsil file data_file.xsil use the command: bash$ xsil2graphics data_file.xsil or bash$ xsil2graphics --matlab data_file.xsil Then at the matlab command prompt: >> data_file Scilab To generate a scilab script file, from the xsil file data_file.xsil use the command: bash$ xsil2graphics --scilab data_file.xsil Then at the scilab command prompt: --> exec('data_file.sci') OPTIONS
-m, --matlab generate matlab m-file script to load data from the xsil data file (the default option) -s, -scilab generate scilab script file to load data from the xsil data file -o, --outfile <out_file> specify an alternative output script filename to the default which is the input xsil filename with the .xsil extension changed to either .m for the matlab m-file or .sci for the scilab script file EXAMPLES
bash$ xsil2graphics nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse.m to load the data into matlab bash$ xsil2graphics -m nlse.xsil Also generates the output nlse.m but explicitly sets matlab to be the output format bash$ xsil2graphics --scilab nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse.sci to load the data into scilab bash$ xsil2graphics --outfile nlse_new.m nlse.xsil Generates the output nlse_new.m to load the data into matlab AUTHORS
Originally written by Greg Collecutt Maintained by Paul Cochrane with code contributed by Joe Hope BUGS
No known bugs. SEE ALSO
xmds(1), loadxsil(1) http://www.xmds.org COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2000-2004 Code contributed by Greg Collecutt, Joseph Hope and Paul Cochrane This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MER- CHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. perl v5.8.2 2004-06-21 XSIL2GRAPHICS(1)