Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed to find first appearance and append string Post 302496483 by vkk on Monday 14th of February 2011 07:50:12 AM
Old 02-14-2011
Thanks. But that is deleting all my other lines and displaying only that line alone. I need the file as such. Smilie

Is that because of "!d" in the command??

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find the line number of a pattern of first appearance??

Hi, I am doin a project in shell script please answer the above question..... waiting........ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shivarajM
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

bash/grep/awk/sed: How to extract every appearance of text between two specific strings

I have a text wich looks like this: clid=2 cid=6 client_database_id=35 client_nickname=Peter client_type=0|clid=3 cid=22 client_database_id=57 client_nickname=Paul client_type=0|clid=5 cid=22 client_database_id=7 client_nickname=Mary client_type=0|clid=6 cid=22 client_database_id=6... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pioneer1976
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed append to string

I am trying to replace in multiple files every instance of text that begins with http and add hyperlink characters to it. I can get it to work with the following:sed -e "s/http*.*/<a href=\"&\">&<\/a>/g" * as long as the http text is at the end of the file. I need it to stop at the end of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: numele
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in a file and append character

Hi Experts, Is there a way to find a string in a file then append a character to that string then save the file or save to another file. Here is an example. >cat test.txt NULL NULL NULL 9,800.00 NULL 1,234,567.01 I want to find all NON NULL String and add a dollar sign to those... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: brichigo
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append a searched string with another string using sed

Hi, I need to replace and append a string in a text if grep is true. For eg: grep ABC test.txt | grep -v '\.$' | awk {'print $4'} | sed "s/ ? How do I replace all instances of "print $4" using sed with another sring? Eg of the string returned will be, lx123 web222 xyz Want to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vchee
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Find a String and append a text end of the Line

Hi, I have a File, which have multiple rows. Like below 123456 Test1 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY 123457 Test2 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Super XXXXXX. YYYY 123458 Test3 FNAME JRW#$% PB MO Approver XXXXXX. YYYY I want to search a line which contains PB MO Approver and append... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: java2006
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to Find first string, then next string

I know that if file is now is the time for all good men house boat car for sed -n -e '/is/,/for/p' file will print (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string in file and append new string after

Hi All, I'm trying to insert a string into a file at a specific location. I'd like to add a string after the parent::__construct(); in my file. <?php if (! defined('BASEPATH')) exit('No direct script access allowed'); class MY_Controller extends CI_Controller { function... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjkilpatrick
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find and append or insert on SAME line

Hi, $ cat f1 My name is Bruce and my surname is I want to use SED to find “Bruce” and then append “ Lee” to the end of the line in which “Bruce” is found Then a more tricky one…. I want to INSERT ….a string… in to a line in which I find sometihng. So example $ cat f2 My name is... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gnu tool; sed awk echo etc to prepend or append string to a file

Looking to add text to a file, example File example; nodegroups: check-hosts: L@host.domain.com,host2.domain.com,host3.domain.com I need to take a file with a one line list of hosts separated by commas host.domain.com,host2.domain.com,host3.domain.comand prepend the string " ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
6 Replies
uptime(1)						      General Commands Manual							 uptime(1)

NAME
uptime, w - show how long system has been up and/or who is logged in and what they are doing SYNOPSIS
[user] [pset_list]] [user] [pset_list]] DESCRIPTION
prints the current time, the length of time the system has been up, the number of users logged on to the system, and the average number of jobs in the run queue over the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes for the active processors. is linked to and prints the same output as displaying a summary of the current activity on the system. Options and recognize the following options: Print the current time, the length of time the system has been up, and the number of users logged on to the system in the first line of the output. The average number of jobs in the core over the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes for the active processors is also printed. When used with the option, the load averages for the processor sets (psets) are calculated on a core basis. Suppress the first line and the heading line. This option should not be used with the option. This option assumes the use of the option to Use long output. This option assumes the use of the option to Print the current time, the length of time the system has been up, and the number of users logged on to the system in the first line of the output. The load averages over the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes for the processor sets (psets) given in the command line, pset_list, are displayed in the subsequent lines. If no arguments are given, the load averages are displayed for all the psets in the system. If pset id of an empty pset is given in the command line, a corresponding message will be displayed. If the kernel does not have the pset capability, gives an error. The option cannot be used along with other options except Use the short form of output for displaying terminal information. The terminal name is abbreviated, and the login time and CPU times are suppressed. Print only the first line describing the overall state of the system. This is the default for the command. Print a summary of the current activity on the system for each user. This is the default for the command. EXAMPLES
The command: produces text resembling the following: depending upon the current status of the system. The command: gives the load average of all the psets in the system. If 0, 94, 95, and 97 are existing psets in the system, the output will look like the following: The command: gives output which looks like the following if 94 and 95 are valid pset ids: The command: gives the load average of the system, producing output resembling the following: The command: gives the load average of all the psets in the system. If 0 and 1 are psets in the system, the output will look like the following: AUTHOR
was developed by the University of California, Berkeley and HP. SEE ALSO
mpctl(2), pset_ctl(2). uptime(1)