Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Undefined "n" value and simplifying script Post 302496112 by Xterra on Saturday 12th of February 2011 09:55:20 AM
Old 02-12-2011
Undefined "n" value and simplifying script

I have a very 'dirty' bash script that is working and looks like this:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
for i in {1..n}
do
 mv block${i} infile
 ./dnadist <<-EOF
 D
 Y
 EOF
 rm infile
 mv outfile Result${i}
 mv Result${i} infile
 ./neighbor <<-EOF
 Y
 EOF
 rm infile
 rm outfile
 mv outtree Result${i}
done

Most of the times I do not know the value for "n", how can I modify the script in such way that even if I do not know the number of files in that particular folder I will be still able to process them?
Other little thing, I am pretty sure there should be a way to 'clean' the script to make it look "cleaner".
Any help will be greatly appreciate it!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

shared object "undefined symbol: fstat" error

Didn't have this problem in AIX, but ported to Linux with GCC compiler and am now getting a runtime error: tssutil: symbol lookup error: /work/agility/devel/bin/libagam.so: undefined symbol: fstat I'm sure most of you know that fstat is an intrinsic function just like printf, memcpy, etc. When I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcus121
5 Replies

2. AIX

Getting error "Undefined symbol: .u_strlen_2_6"

Hi, I am using xlC compiler. The compilation goes fine but at the time of linking it gives the following error ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more information. ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: .u_strlen_2_6 ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nachiketv
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: "undefined variable" and pipe

Hi, haven't found anything about this through searching, so may be a new topic: when doing this: set -o nounset set -o errexit find . -name "*.lib" | while read library; do echo ${libary} done echo "after while" I expect the script to exit within the while loop (because of nounset and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagaidhlig
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

5. Programming

make fails with "undefined reference to..."

i am compiling a program called vasp on suse and get the following error. there are many more preprocess and ifort commands prior so i just grabbed the tail of the log file: ./preprocess <main.F | /usr/bin/cpp -P -C -traditional >main.f90 -DMPI -DHOST=\"LinuxIFC\" -DIFC -Dkind8 -DNGZhalf... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
6 Replies

6. Solaris

I got "undefined reference to" on gcc

Hell all I tryed to build rmp from sources on Solaris 10. I download source code, install gcc, binutils, and other packs с sunfreeware.com. Doring compilation I got an error: /bin/bash ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -std=gnu99 -g -O2 -fPIC -DPIC -D_REENTRANT -Wall... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sluge
0 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Perl error: Can't call method "value" on an undefined value

Hi, I am running a perl script to automate a process and I keep running into a error can't find the "value" Can't call method "value" on an undefined value at process_file.pl line 44. file is CVS cell is ifdfdxrfmp.ksh Here is the script I have also attached it as well: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
2 Replies

8. Programming

Compiling C++ code with NetCDF libraries: "undefined reference"

Hi! I am trying to compile a C++ code with cmake and gcc on Ubuntu. The code uses NetCDF4 libraries. I specify the path to these libraries as follows: -I/usr/local/include -L/usr/local/lib -lnetcdf -lnetcdf_c++4 "ccmake" and "cmake" work fine. After typing "make" I receive the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alauda
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simplifying awk script using multiple "|"

I have the following script: awk -F "," '{ if ( $4 > 450 && $4 < 550 && $5 > 0.5 ) print $2, $5; else print $2, "0" }' test.txt | awk '{a+=$2}END{for(i in a){print i, a}}' | sort -nk 1.2 | sed 1,2d and a bunch of files that look like the test file attached here. I am outputting all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
gst-complete-0.8(1)						   User Commands					       gst-complete-0.8(1)

NAME
gst-complete-0.8, gst-complete - perform bash completion for gst-launch command lines SYNOPSIS
complete -Cgst-complete-0.8 gst-launch gst-complete [--gst-list-mm] [--gst-mm=string] [--print] DESCRIPTION
gst-complete-0.8 enables bash to provide context-sensitive tab completion for gst-launch command lines. See gst-launch(1) for the syntax of gst-launch command lines. You must have a version of bash that supports programmable completion. Such versions of bash provide the complete built-in command. gst-complete is a wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X. For example, if both gst-complete-0.7 and gst- complete-0.8 are installed on your system, gst-complete runs gst-complete-0.8. OPTIONS
The following options are supported by gst-complete-0.8 and gst-complete: --help Display detailed usage message. You can also use -? to specify this option. The following options are supported by gst-complete only: --gst-list-mm List found major/minor versions. This option displays the versions that are available. --gst-mm=string Force major/minor version. This option enables you to specify a specific version to run, if you do not want to run the default version. --print Print wrapped command line. This option displays the command that will be run, and then runs the command. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Generating the Registry of Available Plugins by Running gst-compprep Run the following command in your .bash_profile or other appropriate place: example% complete -C gst-complete-0.8 gst-launch Example 2: Running the Wrapper Script and Displaying the Command Name example% gst-complete --print /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.8 FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gst-complete-0.Executable for bash completion for gst-launch /usr/bin/gst-complete Wrapper script that runs the latest installed version of gst-complete-X.X ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-media | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gst-compprep(1), gst-feedback(1), gst-inspect(1), gst-launch(1), gst-launch-ext(1), gst-md5sum(1), gst-register(1), gst-thumbnail(1), gst- typefind(1), gst-xmlinspect(1), gst-xmllaunch(1), gstreamer-properties(1), libgstreamer-0.8(3), libgstgetbits(3) NOTES
Original man page written by the GStreamer team at http://gstreamer.net/. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 14 Oct 2004 gst-complete-0.8(1)