Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compare files in a directory
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare files in a directory Post 302496088 by rdcwayx on Saturday 12th of February 2011 05:51:26 AM
Old 02-12-2011
Code:
DIR1=/xxx
DIR2=/yyy

cd $DIR!

for file in `ls f* |sort -rn |sed '1,2d' `
do
    diff file $DIR2/$file
done

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory compare script

Hello, I am looking for a script, or pointer to an approach to creating a script, that will compare two versions of a codebase and output a third directory structure containing only the files that differ between the two. I use diff quite often, but it will only create patch files (AFAIK). Does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwilliams108
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare all files in a directory to a threshold value

Hi guys, I have the following, and would like to enhance it be be able to run it in the hard coded directory and compare each file in the directory with the expectedSizeHow would I go about doing this? Thanks, Bloke #!/bin/sh ] || { echo "Usage: watchSizes 400"; exit 0 ; } #Hammer: How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bloke
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare files in two directories and output changed files to third directory

I have searched about 30 threads, a load of Google pages and cannot find what I am looking for. I have some of the parts but not the whole. I cannot seem to get the puzzle fit together. I have three folders, two of which contain different versions of multiple files, dist/file1.php dist/file2.php... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bkeep
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Require compare command to compare 4 files

I have four files, I need to compare these files together. As such i know "sdiff and comm" commands but these commands compare 2 files together. If I use sdiff command then i have to compare each file with other which will increase the codes. Please suggest if you know some commands whcih can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to compare a file with set of files in a directory using 'awk'

Hi, I have a situation to compare one file, say file1.txt with a set of files in directory.The directory contains more than 100 files. To be more precise, the requirement is to compare the first field of file1.txt with the first field in all the files in the directory.The files in the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandek
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse files in directory and compare with another file

I have two files File 1 in reading directory is of following format Read 1 A T Read 3 T C Read 5 G T Read 7 A G Read 10 A G Read 12 C G File 2 in directory contains Read 5 A G Read 6 T C Read 7 G A Read 8 G A Read 20 A T File2 contains (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: empyrean
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl Compare zone files in directory with what is listed in named.conf

I would really appreciate any assistance that I can get here. I am fairly new to perl. I am trying to rewrite my shell scripts to perl. Currently I have a shell script (using sed, awk, grep, etc) that gets a list of all of the zone files in a directory and then looks in named.conf for what... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: brianjb
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Only "File Names" in 2 Files with file lists having different directory structure

I have a tar arcive arch_all.tar.gz and 4 batched tar archive . These batches are supposed to have all the files form arch1.all.tar.gz arch1_batch1.tar.gz arch1_batch2.tar.gz arch1_batch3.tar.gz arch1_batch4.tar.gz my issue is that the directory structure in "arch_all.tar.gz" is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumang24
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directory containing files,Print names of the files in the directory that are exactly same content.

Given a directory containing say a few thousand files, please output a list of all the names of the files in the directory that are exactly the same, i.e. have the same contents. func(a_directory_name) output -> {“matches”: , ... ]} e.g. func(“/home/my/files”) where the directory... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare directories and copy differences (files) in a another directory

Hey im working on script that can compare 2 directory and check difference, then copy difference files in third diretory. here is the story: in folder one we have 12 subfolder and in each of them near 500 images hosted. 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 in folder 2 we have same subfolder... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimafire
2 Replies
DIFF(1) 							   User Commands							   DIFF(1)

NAME
diff - compare files line by line SYNOPSIS
diff [OPTION]... FILES DESCRIPTION
Compare files line by line. -i --ignore-case Ignore case differences in file contents. --ignore-file-name-case Ignore case when comparing file names. --no-ignore-file-name-case Consider case when comparing file names. -E --ignore-tab-expansion Ignore changes due to tab expansion. -b --ignore-space-change Ignore changes in the amount of white space. -w --ignore-all-space Ignore all white space. -B --ignore-blank-lines Ignore changes whose lines are all blank. -I RE --ignore-matching-lines=RE Ignore changes whose lines all match RE. --strip-trailing-cr Strip trailing carriage return on input. -a --text Treat all files as text. -c -C NUM --context[=NUM] Output NUM (default 3) lines of copied context. -u -U NUM --unified[=NUM] Output NUM (default 3) lines of unified context. --label LABEL Use LABEL instead of file name. -p --show-c-function Show which C function each change is in. -F RE --show-function-line=RE Show the most recent line matching RE. -q --brief Output only whether files differ. -e --ed Output an ed script. --normal Output a normal diff. -n --rcs Output an RCS format diff. -y --side-by-side Output in two columns. -W NUM --width=NUM Output at most NUM (default 130) print columns. --left-column Output only the left column of common lines. --suppress-common-lines Do not output common lines. -D NAME --ifdef=NAME Output merged file to show `#ifdef NAME' diffs. --GTYPE-group-format=GFMT Similar, but format GTYPE input groups with GFMT. --line-format=LFMT Similar, but format all input lines with LFMT. --LTYPE-line-format=LFMT Similar, but format LTYPE input lines with LFMT. LTYPE is `old', `new', or `unchanged'. GTYPE is LTYPE or `changed'. GFMT may contain: %< lines from FILE1 %> lines from FILE2 %= lines common to FILE1 and FILE2 %[-][WIDTH][.[PREC]]{doxX}LETTER printf-style spec for LETTER LETTERs are as follows for new group, lower case for old group: F first line number L last line number N number of lines = L-F+1 E F-1 M L+1 LFMT may contain: %L contents of line %l contents of line, excluding any trailing newline %[-][WIDTH][.[PREC]]{doxX}n printf-style spec for input line number Either GFMT or LFMT may contain: %% % %c'C' the single character C %c'OOO' the character with octal code OOO -l --paginate Pass the output through `pr' to paginate it. -t --expand-tabs Expand tabs to spaces in output. -T --initial-tab Make tabs line up by prepending a tab. -r --recursive Recursively compare any subdirectories found. -N --new-file Treat absent files as empty. --unidirectional-new-file Treat absent first files as empty. -s --report-identical-files Report when two files are the same. -x PAT --exclude=PAT Exclude files that match PAT. -X FILE --exclude-from=FILE Exclude files that match any pattern in FILE. -S FILE --starting-file=FILE Start with FILE when comparing directories. --from-file=FILE1 Compare FILE1 to all operands. FILE1 can be a directory. --to-file=FILE2 Compare all operands to FILE2. FILE2 can be a directory. --horizon-lines=NUM Keep NUM lines of the common prefix and suffix. -d --minimal Try hard to find a smaller set of changes. --speed-large-files Assume large files and many scattered small changes. -v --version Output version info. --help Output this help. FILES are `FILE1 FILE2' or `DIR1 DIR2' or `DIR FILE...' or `FILE... DIR'. If --from-file or --to-file is given, there are no restrictions on FILES. If a FILE is `-', read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by Paul Eggert, Mike Haertel, David Hayes, Richard Stallman, and Len Tower. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This program comes with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. You may redistribute copies of this program under the terms of the GNU General Public License. For more information about these matters, see the file named COPYING. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for diff is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and diff programs are properly installed at your site, the command info diff should give you access to the complete manual. diffutils 2.8.1 April 2002 DIFF(1)