Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Using Bash/Sed to delete between identical strings Post 302496087 by Scott on Saturday 12th of February 2011 05:51:15 AM
Old 02-12-2011
Code:
$ awk '!p;/cat/{p=!p}' file
fish
cat
kitten
zebra

This User Gave Thanks to Scott For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace 2 identical strings on different lines

I am looking to replace two or more strings on different lines using sed, but not with the same variable. IE # cat xxx.file <abc> abc def ghi abc def ghi abc def ghi currently I can only change each line with the same pattern: # sed -e '/<abc>/!s/abc\(.*\)/jkl mno/' xxx.file abc jkl mno... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
3 Replies

2. SuSE

finding and removing block of identical strings

i have a problem in finding block of identical strings...i solved the problem in finding consecutive identical words and now i want to expand the code in order to find and remove consecutive identical block of strings... for example the awk code removing consecutive identical word is:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cocostaec
2 Replies

3. Programming

i have a problem in finding block of identical strings...i solved the problem in finding consecutive identical words and now i want to expand the code in order to find and remove consecutive identical block of strings... for example the awk code removing consecutive identical word is:... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can i delete the content between all the occurences of two strings using sed or awk command

Hi. I have to delete the content between all the occurrences of the xml tags in a single file. For example: * The tags <script>.....................</script> occurs more than once in the same file. * It follows tagging rules meaning a start tag will be followed by an end tag. Will not have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: satheeshkumar
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete 2 strings from 1 line with sed?

Hi guys, I wonder if it's possible to search for a line containing 2 strings and delete that line and perhaps replace the source file with already deleted line(s). What I mean is something like this: sourcefile.txt line1: something 122344 somethin2 24334 45554676 line2: another something... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: netrom
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search strings and highlight them using Perl or bash/awk/sed

Hi, I have two files: a.doc and b.txt I wish to search the strings from file b.txt in a.doc and want to highlight them in a.doc with different colours using Perl or bash./awk/sed? Please guide me. :) Thanks!!!!! (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bioinfo
10 Replies

8. Ubuntu

Merging strings that have identical rownames in a dataframe

Hi I have a data frame with repeated names in column 1, and different descriptors in column 2. I want to merge/cat strings that have same entry in column 1 into one row with any separator. Example for input: Cvel_1 KOG0155 Cvel_1 KOG0306 Cvel_1 KOG3259 Cvel_1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyaa
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print text between 2 identical strings

hey, i m having a hard time trying to print only the first occurrence between 2 idenicale strings. for the following output: please help me im a noob please im a noob help me noob please help me im a noob please im a noob help me noob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: boaz733
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to delete identical lines while leaving one undeleted?

Hi, I have a file as follows. file1 Hello Hi His Hi Hi Hungry hi so I want to delete identical lines while leaving one of them undeleted. So desired output will be Hello Hi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner_99
2 Replies
gnomevfs-cat(1) 						   User Commands						   gnomevfs-cat(1)

NAME
gnomevfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gnomevfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gnomevfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gnomevfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gnomevfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gnomevfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-vfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |External | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gnomevfs-copy(1), gnomevfs-info(1), gnomevfs-ls(1), gnomevfs-mkdir(1) NOTES
Written by Stephen Browne, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2004. SunOS 5.10 6 Sep 2004 gnomevfs-cat(1)