Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: uname too vague?
Operating Systems Linux Fedora uname too vague? Post 302495960 by cjcox on Friday 11th of February 2011 04:33:55 PM
Old 02-11-2011
Fairly portable:

cat /etc/*elease

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

uname -S

hi , i have made a mistake :( on the production enviourment by change tha host name . after that i returned back the old name. but i think this will not afeect the system until reboot the machine. laso i tried to telnet the syetem by the host name not by the IP address and it works fine. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: habuzahra
2 Replies

2. Linux

Uname

what is the difference between uname -m and uname -i what it actually means (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dileepsp
2 Replies

3. Solaris

uname help

hi all, Operating System Name : Unix Sun Solaris Operating system release level : 5.10 Operating system version : Generic_137111-06 i know the release level that is kernel version Generic_137111-06 what is number... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uname command

Hi, Can anyone let me know the -n option in uname command in unix? Gone through the man pages of uname, but unable to interpret. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tr command with uname -n

Using the command : echo $eup_terminal_code | tr -s 'mil vrn qcm' 'mci pql qcm' it works,but this translation changes depending on the system. I'd like to define the following variables ,one for each system : mil22h_from='mil vrn frl' mil22h_to='mci vci fci' ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pierluigi.sala
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uname -a output

Can anyone please let me know the meaning of output of uname -a ? I am totally new to unix or linux and just thinking to start learning. When I run uname -a the output I get is - "Linux blx28ap01 2.6.18-238.12.1.el5 #1 SMP Sat May 7 20:18:50 EDT 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux" I want to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
7 Replies

7. Solaris

uname -a

bssmsrv223:/ 53 ] uname -a SunOS bssmsrv223 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V245 bssmsrv223:/ 54 ] what does 118833-36 denotes in Generic_118833-36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
2 Replies

8. Linux

Difference between UNAME and WHO

Hi, What is the exact output tells me when i issued UNAME and WHO ? Regards, Nantha.Y (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies
Msgcat(3pm)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					       Msgcat(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Msgcat - Perl extension for blah blah blah SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Msgcat; $cat = new Locale::Msgcat; $rc = $cat->catopen(name, oflag); $msg = $cat->catgets(set_number, message_number, string); $rc = $cat->catclose(); DESCRIPTION
The Locale::Msgcat module allows access to the message catalog functions which are available on some systems. A new Locale::Msgcat object must first be created for each catalog which has to be open at a given time. The catopen operation opens the catalog whose name is given as argument. The oflag can be either 0 or NL_CAT_LOCALE (usually 1) which is the recommended value. The catgets message retrieves message_number for the set_number message set, and if not found returns string. The catclose function should be used when access to a catalog is not needed anymore. EXAMPLES
use Locale::Msgcat; $cat = new Locale::Msgcat; unless ($cat->catopen("whois.cat", 1)) { print STDERR "Can't open whois catalog. "; exit(1); } printf "First message, first set : %s ", $cat->catgets(1, 1, "not found"); unless ($cat->catclose()) { print STDERR "Can't close whois catalog. "; exit(1); } The above example would print the first message from the first message set found in the whois catalog, or if not found it would print "not found". AUTHOR
Christophe Wolfhugel, wolf@pasteur.fr SEE ALSO
catopen(3), catclose(3), catgets(3), perl(1). perl v5.14.2 1999-11-15 Msgcat(3pm)