Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Testing floating point numbers Post 302495924 by shamrock on Friday 11th of February 2011 03:19:07 PM
Old 02-11-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
bitwise operators -- on floating point numbers? You're assuming certain formats and endian-nesses of floats, and having to do pointer typecast tricks to get at the bits at all.
Why would endianness matter if program is run on the same machine it is compiled on...and all follow the IEEE format on unix/linux flavors.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point numbers in awk

hi all, i have the following problem using awk in a script i want to read the values from a column with real numbers and calculate the mean.the problem is that when i use a statement such as this num = $4 i cant find a way to convert the variable from string to floating point to perform... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanagias
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Compare Floating point / real numbers

Hai, Can you please guide me, to compare the floating point numbers. Eg. If then echo "value1 is grater " fi This code is not working properly when i excuted with floating values or real numbers (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: padarthy
13 Replies

3. Linux

Floating Point Exception

Hi, I am compiling "HelloWorld" C progam on 32-bit CentOS and i want to execute it on 64-bit CentOS architecture. For that i copied the a.out file from 32-bit to 64-bit machine, but while executing a.out file on 64bit machine I am getting "Floating point exception error". But we can run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandar123
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to extract only floating point numbers from HTML

Hi All, I'm trying to extract some floating point numbers from within some HTML code like this: <TR><TD class='awrc'>Parse CPU to Parse Elapsd %:</TD><TD ALIGN='right' class='awrc'> 64.50</TD><TD class='awrc'>% Non-Parse CPU:</TD><TD ALIGN='right' class='awrc'> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point numbers in if

# if > then > echo "1" > else > echo "2" > fi -bash: How can i compare floating point numbers inside statement? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare floating point numbers in shell script?

How can we compare 2 floating point numbers in SHELL script? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: dearanik
11 Replies

7. Programming

Floating Point

Anyone help me i cant found the error of floating point if needed, i added the code complete #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <ctype.h> typedef struct { int hh; int mm; int ss; char nom; int punt; }cancion; typedef struct... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slasho
9 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add floating point numbers from file

How do I use bash to add all the floating point numbers saved in a file like this? 490.47 244.61 263.07 131.59 246.81 115.20 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Floating Point Numbers in c shell!

I have started using bash but this script which I am working on it, is in c chell. So here is my simple problem: set x = 0.4124\0.234 echo $x 0.4124.0.234 Same operation in Bash gives me correct result in my terminal. So there is something with my c shell that is causing this behaviour.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: dixits
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison of floating point numbers in bash

I have the following code snippet in bash if ]; then minm=`echo "$diff" | bc` fi It works well for most of the cases. However lets say diff is -0.17 and minm is -0.0017. In such a case the comparison seems to fail. Is the correct way to compare a mixture of positive and... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ngabrani
12 Replies
integer(3perl)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					    integer(3perl)

NAME
integer - Perl pragma to use integer arithmetic instead of floating point SYNOPSIS
use integer; $x = 10/3; # $x is now 3, not 3.33333333333333333 DESCRIPTION
This tells the compiler to use integer operations from here to the end of the enclosing BLOCK. On many machines, this doesn't matter a great deal for most computations, but on those without floating point hardware, it can make a big difference in performance. Note that this only affects how most of the arithmetic and relational operators handle their operands and results, and not how all numbers everywhere are treated. Specifically, "use integer;" has the effect that before computing the results of the arithmetic operators (+, -, *, /, %, +=, -=, *=, /=, %=, and unary minus), the comparison operators (<, <=, >, >=, ==, !=, <=>), and the bitwise operators (|, &, ^, <<, >>, |=, &=, ^=, <<=, >>=), the operands have their fractional portions truncated (or floored), and the result will have its fractional portion truncated as well. In addition, the range of operands and results is restricted to that of familiar two's complement integers, i.e., -(2**31) .. (2**31-1) on 32-bit architectures, and -(2**63) .. (2**63-1) on 64-bit architectures. For example, this code use integer; $x = 5.8; $y = 2.5; $z = 2.7; $a = 2**31 - 1; # Largest positive integer on 32-bit machines $, = ", "; print $x, -$x, $x + $y, $x - $y, $x / $y, $x * $y, $y == $z, $a, $a + 1; will print: 5.8, -5, 7, 3, 2, 10, 1, 2147483647, -2147483648 Note that $x is still printed as having its true non-integer value of 5.8 since it wasn't operated on. And note too the wrap-around from the largest positive integer to the largest negative one. Also, arguments passed to functions and the values returned by them are not affected by "use integer;". E.g., srand(1.5); $, = ", "; print sin(.5), cos(.5), atan2(1,2), sqrt(2), rand(10); will give the same result with or without "use integer;" The power operator "**" is also not affected, so that 2 ** .5 is always the square root of 2. Now, it so happens that the pre- and post- increment and decrement operators, ++ and --, are not affected by "use integer;" either. Some may rightly consider this to be a bug -- but at least it's a long-standing one. Finally, "use integer;" also has an additional affect on the bitwise operators. Normally, the operands and results are treated as unsigned integers, but with "use integer;" the operands and results are signed. This means, among other things, that ~0 is -1, and -2 & -5 is -6. Internally, native integer arithmetic (as provided by your C compiler) is used. This means that Perl's own semantics for arithmetic operations may not be preserved. One common source of trouble is the modulus of negative numbers, which Perl does one way, but your hardware may do another. % perl -le 'print (4 % -3)' -2 % perl -Minteger -le 'print (4 % -3)' 1 See "Pragmatic Modules" in perlmodlib, "Integer Arithmetic" in perlop perl v5.14.2 2010-12-30 integer(3perl)