Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calculate age of a file | calculate time difference Post 302495821 by worm on Friday 11th of February 2011 09:58:30 AM
Old 02-11-2011
Hello Joeyg,

Thanks for the hint to use epoch time.

It was a little bit tricky to find the current epoch time on solaris, as
date +%s doesn't exist on solaris.

But the following line gives me the current epoch time:
Code:
truss date 2>&1 | grep time | awk '{print $3}'

Now I just need to find out, how I can print the epoch time, when the file was created.

Unfortunately, the stat command, you used in your script, doesn't exist on solaris.

Any ideas, how I could find the epoch time of the file creation?

Thanks and best regards

Rolf

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-14-2011 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate this time difference

Hi, Please help me in calculating the time difference between below mentioned timestamps. a=07/17/2007 02:20:00 AM MST b=07/17/2007 02:07:46 AM MST Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prat007
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate the time difference...

Hi All, I've written a script which reads all the systems backup information and saves it in a log file. ssh -l ora${sid} ${primaryhost} "tail -2 /oracle/$ORACLE_SID/sapbackup/back$ORACLE_SID.log" |head -1 | awk '{print echo "PREVIOUS:-- Start Date&Time: " $3,$4,echo "|| End Date&Time:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate the time difference.

Hi All, I've written a script which reads all the systems backup information and saves it in a log file. ssh -l ora${sid} ${primaryhost} "tail -1 /oracle/$ORACLE_SID/sapbackup/back$ORACLE_SID.log" | awk '{print $3,$4,$5,$6}' >> ${RESULTFILE} The output comes as below: 2008-09-30 06.00.01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the time difference between a local file and a remote file.

I m stuck with a issue. I need to calculate the time difference between two files.. one on the local machine and one on the remote machine using a script. Can any one suggest the way this can be achevied Thanks, manohar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meetmano143
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting output so I can calculate time difference between two stamps

I know there have been a million questions regarding calculating time stamps, and with enough googling, I think I'm almost there (I'm going to use the changing the times into seconds and subtracting solution). My problem is that I'm not sure how to format my log file to get the info I need. Below... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the Time stamp difference

hi, I have a log file which gives time stamps hh:mm:ss.sssss format in which hh- hours , mm -minutes ss.sssss - seconds.microseconds I need to calculate the time diff between sent time stamp and received time stamp .... could any one please help me.. i am tryin to write a script but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate time stamp difference

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting.I have to write a shell script for the problem statement: "A file is updated continously. If it is not updated for a day then an error message needs to pop up." So the script needs to read the last modified time of that file and current system time .If... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.phatak
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate time difference

I have time in a file in HH:MM:SS format as it contents(its not the file creation time). i need this to be converted to epoch time or time since 1970. The time is written into that file by a script, which i cannot modify. Im using AIX machine $ cat abc.txt 10:29:34 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate time difference between two lines

i grepped the time stamp in a file as given below now i need to calculate time difference file data: 18:29:10 22:15:50 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekn
5 Replies
GETDATE(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        GETDATE(1)

NAME
getdate - AME SYNOPSIS
[-dv][-n dec][-f format] [ra dec sys] itype2otype [date and/or time] DESCRIPTION
Convert date and time between various formats [-dv][-n dec][-f format] itype2otype @file itype: nfd=ISOFITS fd=FITS, dt=yyyy.mmdd, hr=hh:mm:ss, deg=dd:mm:ss jd=Julian Date, mjd=Modified Julian Date hjd=Heliocentric Julian Date, mhjd=Modified HJD ep=epoch, epj=Julian epoch, epb=Besselian epoch lt=local time, ut=UT, ts=seconds since 1950-01-01 now=current time, ang=fractional degrees otype: fd=FITS, dt=yyyy.mmdd, jd=Julian Date, mjd=Modified Julian Date hjd=Heliocentric Julian Date, mhjd=Modified HJD hr=hh:mm:ss, deg=dd:mm:ss, ang=fractional degrees ep=epoch, epj=Julian epoch, epb=Besselian epoch ts=seconds since 1950-01-01, tsu=Unix sec, tsi=IRAF sec gst=Greenwich Sidereal Time, lst=Local Sidereal Time @file: First one or two columns are in itype format ra dec sys: Need for Heliocentric conversions -a: Append date to input file, if there is one -d: Print date without time -e: Print output as ET/TDT/TT converting from UT -f: Format for output number (C printf) -h hours: Longitude in hours, west positive -l degrees: Longitude in degrees, west positive -n: Number of decimal places in sec, epoch, JD -t: Print time without date -v: Verbose getdate 3.8.4 June 2012 GETDATE(1)