Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Calculate age of a file | calculate time difference Post 302495800 by worm on Friday 11th of February 2011 08:57:22 AM
Old 02-11-2011
Calculate age of a file | calculate time difference

Hello,

I'm trying to create a shell script (#!/bin/sh) which should tell me the age of a file in minutes...

I have a process, which delivers me all 15 minutes a new file and I want to have a monitoring script, which sends me an email, if the present file is older than 20 minutes.

To do so, I have created two variables:
Code:
CURRTIME=`date +"%H%M"`
FILETIME=`ls -l $APSYS_DAT/currency.txt | awk '{print $8}' | awk -F: '{print $1 $2}'`

Now, I could calculate: echo $CURRTIME - $FILETIME | bc

But it doesnt calculate it as time... 1305-1255 gives me 50 and not 10 minutes.

How can I calculate with time?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards

Rolf

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-14-2011 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: Please use code tags, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate this time difference

Hi, Please help me in calculating the time difference between below mentioned timestamps. a=07/17/2007 02:20:00 AM MST b=07/17/2007 02:07:46 AM MST Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prat007
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate the time difference...

Hi All, I've written a script which reads all the systems backup information and saves it in a log file. ssh -l ora${sid} ${primaryhost} "tail -2 /oracle/$ORACLE_SID/sapbackup/back$ORACLE_SID.log" |head -1 | awk '{print echo "PREVIOUS:-- Start Date&Time: " $3,$4,echo "|| End Date&Time:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate the time difference.

Hi All, I've written a script which reads all the systems backup information and saves it in a log file. ssh -l ora${sid} ${primaryhost} "tail -1 /oracle/$ORACLE_SID/sapbackup/back$ORACLE_SID.log" | awk '{print $3,$4,$5,$6}' >> ${RESULTFILE} The output comes as below: 2008-09-30 06.00.01... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: suri.tyson
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the time difference between a local file and a remote file.

I m stuck with a issue. I need to calculate the time difference between two files.. one on the local machine and one on the remote machine using a script. Can any one suggest the way this can be achevied Thanks, manohar (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meetmano143
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting output so I can calculate time difference between two stamps

I know there have been a million questions regarding calculating time stamps, and with enough googling, I think I'm almost there (I'm going to use the changing the times into seconds and subtracting solution). My problem is that I'm not sure how to format my log file to get the info I need. Below... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to calculate time difference between start and end time of a process!

Hello All, I have a problem calculating the time difference between start and end timings...! the timings are given by 24hr format.. Start Date : 08/05/10 12:55 End Date : 08/09/10 06:50 above values are in mm/dd/yy hh:mm format. Now the thing is, 7th(08/07/10) and... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarty86
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate the Time stamp difference

hi, I have a log file which gives time stamps hh:mm:ss.sssss format in which hh- hours , mm -minutes ss.sssss - seconds.microseconds I need to calculate the time diff between sent time stamp and received time stamp .... could any one please help me.. i am tryin to write a script but... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: firestar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate time stamp difference

Hi All, I am new to shell scripting.I have to write a shell script for the problem statement: "A file is updated continously. If it is not updated for a day then an error message needs to pop up." So the script needs to read the last modified time of that file and current system time .If... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharath.phatak
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate time difference

I have time in a file in HH:MM:SS format as it contents(its not the file creation time). i need this to be converted to epoch time or time since 1970. The time is written into that file by a script, which i cannot modify. Im using AIX machine $ cat abc.txt 10:29:34 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculate time difference between two lines

i grepped the time stamp in a file as given below now i need to calculate time difference file data: 18:29:10 22:15:50 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivekn
5 Replies
LEAVE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  LEAVE(1)

NAME
leave -- remind you when you have to leave SYNOPSIS
leave [[+]hhmm] DESCRIPTION
leave waits until the specified time (within the next 12 hours), then reminds you that you have to leave by writing to the TTY that you exe- cuted leave on. You are reminded 5 minutes and 1 minute before the actual time, at the time, and every minute thereafter. When you log off, leave exits just before it would have printed the next message. OPTIONS
hhmm The time of day is in the form hhmm where hh is a time in hours (on a 12 or 24 hour clock), and mm are minutes. However, all times are converted to a 12 hour clock, and assumed to be in the next 12 hours. An attempt to set an alarm for farther into the future will be truncated to within the next 12 hours. + If the time is preceded by '+', the alarm will go off in hours and minutes from the current time. If no argument is given, leave prompts with "When do you have to leave?". A reply of newline causes leave to exit, otherwise the reply is assumed to be a time. This form is suitable for inclusion in a ~/.login or ~/.profile. SEE ALSO
calendar(1), csh(1), sh(1) HISTORY
The leave command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
In the modern age with X(7) and window multiplexing programs like window(1) and screen(1), the leave command's reminders and admonitions might not be seen if the user has the window where leave was started minimized or obscured. This all begs for a more general user notifications system to be implemented. BSD
January 19, 2002 BSD