Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and add/replace text in text files Post 302495630 by rdcwayx on Thursday 10th of February 2011 06:18:14 PM
Old 02-10-2011
For first question:

Code:
awk 'NR==FNR{a[$1]++;next} /^PAGE/ {$0=$0 " of " a["PAGE"]}1' infile infile

PAGE             :   1 of 3
PAGE             :   2 of 3
PAGE             :   3 of 3

replace by space:

Code:
sed "s/\*\*\*Disclaimer Statement \*\*\*\*\*/ /" infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace text with a variable?

Is there a way that I can make the following work with using variables? perl -pi -e 's#blah#hrm#ig' replacetext but like this var=blah perl -pi -e 's#$var#hrm#ig' replacetext (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doublejz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace text

test 100 abc test 134 bcd test 356 cdf test 831 dfg test 720 fgh Please advise how can I replace the abc, bcd....with ABC, BCD.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobo
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace text PLEASE HELP

Dear friends please help, I have a large data file with few hundred lines. A small example is shown below: datafile is a file with few hundred lines with the third column has many different character stings: test 100 abc test 134 bcd test 356 cdf test 831 dfg test 720 fgh I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find text but replace a text beside it

I have an html file that looks like this (this is just a part of the html file): <td colspan="3" rowspan="1" style="text-align: center; background-color: rgb(<!-- IDENTIFIER1 -->51, 255, 51);"><small><!-- IDENTIFIER2 -->UP</small></td> This is to automatically update the status of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find text containing paths and replace with a string in all the python files

I have 100+ python files in a single directory. I need to replace a specific path occurrence with a variable name. Following are the find and the replace strings: Findstring--"projects\\Debugger\\debugger_dp8051_01\\debugger_dp8051_01.cywrk" Replacestring--self.projpath I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noorsam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find pattern and replace the text before it

i am editing a big log file with the following pattern: Date: xxxx Updated: name Some log file text here Date: eee Updated: ny Some log file text here Basically i want to remove all the text in a line before the "Updated" pattern. I sill want to print the other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan1983a
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace using 2 text files as arrays.

Here's the nonfunctional code I have so far #!/bin/bash searchFor=(`cat filea.txt` ) replaceWith=(`cat fileb.txt`) myMax=${#searchFor} myCounter=1 while ; do sed -i 's/${$searchFor}/${$replaceWith}/g' done The goal is to use each line in filea.txt as a search term, and each line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erulisseuiin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a text at the beginning of a text files in a folder?

how to add a text ( surya) at the beginning of a text files (so many) in folder text file: 111111 555555 666666 result: surya 111111 555555 666666 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find text and replace next line.?

Have multiple files with the same format and certain text is the same. Have specific text to search for and then need to replace the next line. Can search on the text DEVICE and multiple lines will be found. The line after each DEVICE line has {. Want to replace the line { with {-someadditiontext.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigdaddywags
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to skip lines find text and add text based on number

I am trying to use awk skip each line with a ## or # and check each line after for STB= and if that value in greater than or = to 0.8, then at the end of line the text "STRAND BIAS" is written in else "GOOD". So in the file of 4 entries attached. awk tried: awk NR > "##"' "#" -F"STB="... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
SHCOMP(1)						    User Environment Utilities							 SHCOMP(1)

NAME
shcomp - compile a ksh93 shell script SYNOPSIS
shcomp [ options ] [infile] [outfile]] ORIGIN OF THIS MAN PAGE
This man page was written by Christophe Martin <Schplurtz@free.fr> for the Debian GNU/Linux system. It is based on "shcomp --man" output. DESCRIPTION
Unless -D is specified, shcomp takes a shell script, infile, and creates a binary format file, outfile, that ksh93 can read and execute with the same effect as the original script. Since aliases are processed as the script is read, alias definitions whose value requires variable expansion will not work correctly. If -D is specified, all double quoted strings that are preceded by $ are output. These are the messages that need to be translated to locale specific versions for internationalization. If outfile is omitted, then the results will be written to standard output. If infile is also omitted, the shell script will be read from standard input. OPTIONS
-D, --dictionary Generate a list of strings that need to be placed in a message catalog for internationalization. -n, --noexec Displays warning messages for obsolete or non-conforming constructs. -v, --verbose Displays input from infile onto standard error as it reads it. --man Displays this man page on standard error and exits. --help Shows a short help message and exits. EXIT STATUS
0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred. DEBIAN WARNING
On a Debian GNU/Linux system, more than one package may provide ksh. the output of shcomp can only be used by ksh93. Any other ksh will be unable to run the compiled script. EXAMPLE
( echo '#! /bin/ksh93' ; shcomp myscript ) > myscript.bin && chmod 755 myscript.bin ./myscript.bin SEE ALSO
ksh(1) IMPLEMENTATION
version shcomp (AT&T Labs Research) 2003-03-02 author David Korn <dgk@research.att.com> copyright Copyright (c) 1982-2005 AT&T Corp. license http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cpl1.0.txt KSH93 Fri Jun 3 2005 SHCOMP(1)