Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Virus and Malware
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers Virus and Malware Post 302495583 by methyl on Thursday 10th of February 2011 04:23:35 PM
Old 02-10-2011
General answer.

Virus and Malware code can affect both unix and Linux systems. Mail and file storage systems can also relay bad code without protection. It is nowadays normal to install a robust Firewall and Malware/Virus protection on servers in addition to protecting each and every client against Malware/Viruses.

Not an endorsement, but another link to read.
Endpoint Security | Firewall | Data Protection | Anti-virus Software | Virus Protection - Sophos

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

Virus/Malware Uptake Rates

Hi. I'm trying to get information about the rates at which viruses and malware infect computers. Let's say that Mr. Dastardly Developer discovers an exploitable flaw, writes a virus to take advantage of it, and releases the virus. Assuming that a large-scale attack method is chosen (Facebook,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help to remove malware

hello I hope you have a good day, no question is because a few days ago I did a malware scan to my debian and showed me that I have malware, and searched and not found how I can eliminate it, would be useful if someone knows how to You can delete or uninstall, thank you very much (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asoh65
2 Replies
DESKTOP-FILE-VALIDATE(1)				      General Commands Manual					  DESKTOP-FILE-VALIDATE(1)

NAME
desktop-file-validate - Validate desktop entry files SYNOPSIS
desktop-file-validate [--no-warn-deprecated] [--warn-kde] FILE... DESCRIPTION
The desktop-file-validate program is a tool to validate desktop entry files according to the Desktop Entry specification 1.0. The specification describes a file format to provide information such as name, icon and description for an application. Such a file can then be used as an application launcher and to display the application in the applications menu. For information about the Desktop Entry specification, see http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/desktop-entry-spec. The desktop entry files are commonly called desktop files. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --no-warn-deprecated Do not warn about usage of deprecated items that were defined in previous versions of the specification. --warn-kde Warn about usage of KDE extensions to the specification. This includes the use of the KDE Desktop Entry group, of the ServiceTypes, DocPath, Keywords, InitialPreference, Dev, FSType, MountPoint, ReadOnly, UnmountIcon keys, or of the Service, ServiceType and FSDe- vice types. BUGS
If you find bugs in the desktop-file-validate program, please report these on https://bugs.freedesktop.org. SEE ALSO
desktop-file-edit(1) desktop-file-install(1) FREEDESKTOP.ORG DESKTOP-FILE-VALIDATE(1)