Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how to use shell variable in isql Post 302495553 by DGPickett on Thursday 10th of February 2011 02:28:07 PM
Old 02-10-2011
Sure, looks fine. I am more a fan of echo, where you can preview the output easier, and switch quotes to control what is exposed to shell substitution:
Code:
echo ' . . . '"$variable"' . . . ' | isql . . . .

Both are shell built in, << writes a /tmp file, | calls pipe().

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

isql in shell script help

Hello all... i'm trying to execute a shell script through crontab. To run at 8pm on wednesday's The crontab entry: 00 20 * * 3 /u2/dir1/dir2/jobs/p.sh the p.sh file: isql -s claims /u2/dir1/dir3/dir4/a.sql permissions for it are -rwxrwx--x i've confirmed a.sql is in that directory. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrviking
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting value of Shell variable from within ISQL

Hi Guys, Need help. I am using ISQL inside a shell script. Is there a way to set the value of shell script variable from inside the ISQL code. I do not want to write the results from the SQL to an output file. Please let me know. Regards, Tipsy. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipsy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using isql in korn shell

Hi all, I have two accounts in a Unix server, the first one uses .tcsh as default shell and the other uses .ksh (korn shell) as default. When I login using the account with .tcsh default, I can use the isql command and connect to our database server. However, when I use the other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: risk_sly
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting variable for query using iSql / Korn Shell

Hi All- First time using iSql. I have 4 query files - some have more than 1 line of sql statements After a bit of research it appears I can just use the -i command and specify the input file. Questions: Does it matter that there are multiple queries in each file? Do I need to have... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cailet
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

isql out in shell script

Hi I wrote a script for connecting isql(Sybase database) and stored the SQL output in Unix box. my script: isql -U${USER} -P${PASS} -S${SERVER} <<EOF > $WORK_DIR/out1.log go select convert(varchar(10),sdcurrent,101) from pr_sysdate go exit EOF Unfortunately, the output file not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: koti_rama
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign record count output of isql to a shell variable ?

isql select count(*) from Table eof How to assign record count output of isql query to a shell variable ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With isql in shell script

Hello I am not able to get the isql output to temp_res file ... i have tried all the different combinations as shown below, but could not get anywhere .... Please Help isql -S $serv_name -U $usr_name -P $pswd -D $db_name -o temp_res << EOF1 select status from modset where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gkrish
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign value from isql to UNIX variable

I want output to be assigned to UNIX variables echo "Enter RRS ID: " read rrs isql -SPROD_DDS -USYBUSER -PSYBPASS -b -osfg.out << EOF use sip go set nocount on select issuerId, legalStructTxt, productName, issuerName from sf_product where rrsId = $rrs go EOF (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JayDoshi
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Return value inside isql to a shell variable in ksh

Hello, I have a shell script where I am doing an isql to select some records. the result i get from the select statement is directed to an output file. I want to assign the result to a Shell variable so that I can use the retrieved in another routine. e.g. "isql -U${USER} -P${PASSWD} -S${SERVER}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RookieDev
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the output of a ISQL command in a variable?

I am trying to run a query which returns a sum value(a number). I want to get it in a variable so that i can refer to that variable in different places. when i am running the following command variable=`isql -Uuser -Sserver -Ppassword 1> select sum(count(*)) from xyz..abc where clm_id... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sharma331
2 Replies
SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-echo - GNU shtool echo(1) extensional command SYNOPSIS
shtool echo [-n|--newline] [-e|--expand] string DESCRIPTION
shtool echo is an echo(1) style command which prints string to stdout and optionally provides special expansion constructs (terminal bold mode, environment details, date, etc) and newline control. The trick of this command is that it provides a portable -n option and hides the gory details needed to find out the environment details under option -e. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -n, --newline By default, output is written to stdout followed by a "newline" (ASCII character 0x0a). If option -n is used, this newline character is omitted. -e, --expand If option -e is used, string can contain special "%x" constructs which are expanded before the output is written. Currently the following constructs are recognized: %B switch terminal mode to bold display mode. %b switch terminal mode back to normal display mode. %u the current user name. %U the current user id (numerical). %g the current group name. %G the current group id (numerical). %h the current hostname (without any domain extension). %d the current domain name. %D the current day of the month. %M the current month (numerical). %m the current month name. %Y the current year. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool echo -n -e "Enter your name [%B%u%b]: "; read name shtool echo -e "Your Email address might be %u@%h%d" shtool echo -e "The current date is %D-%m-%Y" HISTORY
The GNU shtool echo command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Website META Language (WML) under the name buildinfo. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), echo(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-ECHO.TMP(1)