Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Find and add/replace text in text files Post 302495336 by lodhi1978 on Thursday 10th of February 2011 04:53:02 AM
Old 02-10-2011
Find and add/replace text in text files

Hi.

I would like to have experts help on below action.
I have text files in which page nubmers exists in form like
Code:
PAGE             :   1
PAGE             :   2
PAGE             :   3

and so on there is other text too. I would like to know is it possible to check the last occurance of Page numer and replace this value as below
Code:
PAGE             :   1 of 3
PAGE             :   2 of 3
PAGE             :   3 of 3

Similarly I have to replace some text with blank spaces.
i.e the text is like ***Disclaimer Statement**** . Can I replace this with spaces. This text is Fixed and always occured in the end of every text file.

Regards,

Hassan

---------- Post updated at 02:53 PM ---------- Previous update was at 11:38 AM ----------

Further to update that I have tried to replace the text
Code:
***Disclaimer Statement *****

with blank spaces, but the sign * not replacing only the Alphabets were replaced I sued below code.
Code:

cd /text
find /text -name 'c*.txt' |
while read filename
do
cat $filename | sed 's/****Disclaimer Statement *****\(\)/\1/' > temp.txt
mv temp.txt $filename
done

Similarly received error
Code:
0403-057 Syntax error at line 9 : `'' is not matched.

while replacing
Code:
FORBANK'S POLICY

thru above code

Kindly advice.

Regards,

Hassan

Last edited by radoulov; 02-10-2011 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: Code tags, please!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

find and replace text with a variable?

Is there a way that I can make the following work with using variables? perl -pi -e 's#blah#hrm#ig' replacetext but like this var=blah perl -pi -e 's#$var#hrm#ig' replacetext (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doublejz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace text

test 100 abc test 134 bcd test 356 cdf test 831 dfg test 720 fgh Please advise how can I replace the abc, bcd....with ABC, BCD.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobo
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and replace text PLEASE HELP

Dear friends please help, I have a large data file with few hundred lines. A small example is shown below: datafile is a file with few hundred lines with the third column has many different character stings: test 100 abc test 134 bcd test 356 cdf test 831 dfg test 720 fgh I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobo
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find text but replace a text beside it

I have an html file that looks like this (this is just a part of the html file): <td colspan="3" rowspan="1" style="text-align: center; background-color: rgb(<!-- IDENTIFIER1 -->51, 255, 51);"><small><!-- IDENTIFIER2 -->UP</small></td> This is to automatically update the status of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The One
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find text containing paths and replace with a string in all the python files

I have 100+ python files in a single directory. I need to replace a specific path occurrence with a variable name. Following are the find and the replace strings: Findstring--"projects\\Debugger\\debugger_dp8051_01\\debugger_dp8051_01.cywrk" Replacestring--self.projpath I tried... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: noorsam
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find pattern and replace the text before it

i am editing a big log file with the following pattern: Date: xxxx Updated: name Some log file text here Date: eee Updated: ny Some log file text here Basically i want to remove all the text in a line before the "Updated" pattern. I sill want to print the other... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: balan1983a
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and replace using 2 text files as arrays.

Here's the nonfunctional code I have so far #!/bin/bash searchFor=(`cat filea.txt` ) replaceWith=(`cat fileb.txt`) myMax=${#searchFor} myCounter=1 while ; do sed -i 's/${$searchFor}/${$replaceWith}/g' done The goal is to use each line in filea.txt as a search term, and each line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Erulisseuiin
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add a text at the beginning of a text files in a folder?

how to add a text ( surya) at the beginning of a text files (so many) in folder text file: 111111 555555 666666 result: surya 111111 555555 666666 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find text and replace next line.?

Have multiple files with the same format and certain text is the same. Have specific text to search for and then need to replace the next line. Can search on the text DEVICE and multiple lines will be found. The line after each DEVICE line has {. Want to replace the line { with {-someadditiontext.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigdaddywags
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to skip lines find text and add text based on number

I am trying to use awk skip each line with a ## or # and check each line after for STB= and if that value in greater than or = to 0.8, then at the end of line the text "STRAND BIAS" is written in else "GOOD". So in the file of 4 entries attached. awk tried: awk NR > "##"' "#" -F"STB="... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)