Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to read and append certain files form directory Post 302495171 by lio123 on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 01:33:00 PM
Old 02-09-2011
Thanks

Last edited by lio123; 02-09-2011 at 03:32 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Read Files from a Directory

Hi, I have a requirement where I have get the files from FTP server then delete the files in the FTP server and then store the file name within the file where there is "TR". i.e Filename|TR|20071231|.... Once I finish loading my file I have to archive the files. Is there any way to do it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran_418
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read files from directory

hi i have a directory /tmp/Satya,it contains 5.FILE 6.FILE 7.FILE i need to read each file , and read its content line by line please help thanks Satya (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search directory-find files-append at end of line

Hi, I have a command "get_data" with some parameters in few *.text files of a directory. I want to first find those files that contain this command and then append the following parameter to the end of the command. example of an entry in the file :- get_data -x -m50 /etc/web/getid this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PrasannaKS
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

mget * (obtein files from current directory but not the files form sub-directories)

Hello, Using the instruction mget (within ftp) and with "Interactive mode off", I want to get all files from directory (DirAA), but not the files in sub-directories. The files names don't follow any defined rule, so they can be just letters without (.) period Directory structure example: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peter321
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append variable texts to the beginning of each line in all files in a directory

I am writing a code to append some numbers in the beginning of each line in all the files present in a directory. The number of files are really huge. The files are numbered as 1.sco, 2.sco, 4.sco (Note: 3.sco is missing). The files currently look like this: 1.sco 2 3 5 6 6 7My task is to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
4 Replies

6. Programming

C program to read n files and append it to a variable.

I am struck in the code of handling multiple files reading and appending it into a variable. My First file's entire content I have concatenated using strcat(<char pointer>,char array) In the Second file I extract using strtstr() function and below is the code. if( fp2 != NULL){ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gameboy87
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

append text to column in all files of directory

Hi, I want to append "chr" to all col 2 values of all files in a particular folder. This is what I came up with but isnt working. Please help. ls -1 * | ( while read line do awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS=":"} {$2="chr"$2;print $0}' $line > $line_new done ) Another question is, how to delete... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpesh
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read multiple files, parse data and append to a file

Hi..Can anyone suggest a simple way of achieving this. I have several files which ends with extension .vcf . I will give example with two files In the below files, we are interested in File 1: 38 107 C 3 T 6 C/T 38 241 C 4 T 5 C/T 38 247 T 4 C 5 T/C 38 259 T 3 C 6 T/C... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append string to all the files inside a directory excluding subdirectories and .zip files

Hii, Could someone help me to append string to the starting of all the filenames inside a directory but it should exclude .zip files and subdirectories. Eg. file1: test1.log file2: test2.log file3 test.zip After running the script file1: string_test1.log file2: string_test2.log file3:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Kishore
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Append pipe | at the end of all the rows except header n trailer for all the files under a directory

Hi Experts Need help... I am looking for a Unix script to append pipe | at the end of all the rows (except header and trailer)in all the files placed under the directory /interfaces/Temp e.g. Header row1 row2 row3 Trailer The script should read all the files under... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani333
3 Replies
sticky(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 sticky(8)

Name
       sticky - executable files with persistent text

Description
       The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000), is used to indicate special treatment for certain executable files and directories.

While the sticky bit, mode 01000 is set on a sharable executable file, the text of that file will not be removed from the system swap area.
       Thus the file does not have to be fetched from the file system upon each execution.  As long as a copy remains in the swap area, the origi-
       nal  text  cannot  be  overwritten  in  the file system, nor can the file be deleted.  Directory entries can be removed so long as one link
       remains.

Sharable files are made by the and options of

To replace a sticky file that has been used, clear the sticky bit with and execute the old program to flush the swapped copy.  This can	be
       done  safely  even  if others are using it.  Overwrite the sticky file.	If the file is being executed by any process, writing will be pre-
       vented.	It suffices to simply remove the file and then rewrite it, being careful to reset the owner and mode with and Set the  sticky  bit
       again.

A  directory  whose  sticky bit is set becomes an append-only directory, or, more accurately, a directory in which the deletion of files is
       restricted.  A file in a sticky directory may only be removed or renamed by a user if the user has write permission for the  directory  and
       the  user  is the owner of the file, the owner of the directory, or the superuser.  This feature is usefully applied to directories such as
       which must be publicly writeable but should deny users the license to arbitrarily delete or rename each others' files.

Restrictions
       Only the superuser can set the sticky bit.

See Also
       chmod(2)

RISC								 sticky(8)