Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Passing wildcard parameters to find via a variable Post 302495138 by mij on Wednesday 9th of February 2011 11:31:54 AM
Old 02-09-2011
It is always something simple! I probably should quote everything anyway to be safe, I do have files with spaces, but just quoting the ${FS_EXCLUDE[@]} variable was the missing piece to make the script work.

I am struggling to see the logic of why it makes a difference, though, as surely when the array elements are unpacked they would be within the quotes and so passed as a single parameter?

Anyway, it works now, so many thanks.

Michael.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find wildcard .shtml files in wildcard directories and removing them- How's it done?

I'm trying to figure out how to build a small shell script that will find old .shtml files in every /tgp/ directory on the server and delete them if they are older than 10 days... The structure of the paths are like this: /home/domains/www.domain2.com/tgp/ /home/domains/www.domain3.com/tgp/... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neko
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Passing parameters in script

I have 2 scripts: script1 and script2 Script1 passes 4 parameters to script2 as follows #script1 code ... ... script2 $var1 $var2 $var3 $var4 Script2 uses the export command to know to expect these values #script2 export $1 $2 $3 $4 code ... ... The problem that I am having is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eliguy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing more than 9 parameters

hi, i am passing around 14 parameters for a script a=$1 b=$2 c=$3 d=$4 e=$5 f=$6 g=$7 h=$8 i=\"${9}\" shift j=\"${1}\" still for j it is displaying the 1st parameter value..how to make it take the 10th parameter (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnat
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing unix variable to oracle parameters

Please help me how to pass some unix vairable to oracle. I have used below , but not displaying passed (inval) value. calling() { sqlplus -s $1/$2@$3 <<EOF begin exec call_sql($4); end; exit EOF } calling user pwd inst value1... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jairaj
17 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Variable Parameters (C shell)

I am trying to execute a copy command via shell script. However, on occassion, 2 or more files need to copied. How do I code for the multiple arguments? Does it matter how the files are delimited? Example: I have a script to copy files from 1 dir to another called duplicate.csh In most... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CKT_newbie88
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a wildcard in a variable

Hi There I am new to scripting and require some assistance please. I am trying to define a variable with a wildcard in a shell script (.ksh) that will be run on AIX 5300-10. The variable I am trying is: FILES=LLA_*.CSVWhen I run the following section of the script: scp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimbojames
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters to the script

how can i make a script to run only when parameters are given, if parameters are not given it should through an error , saying "please enter a parameter" for ex: i want a find command to run only when the parameters are given (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: knip
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing parameters with spaces

we are using following script to execute stored procedue. The problem is run_pmcmd.ksh script is using $* parameter which is not taking in account 'Men Shirt' parameter which includes spaces. 1. Step 1 run_pmcmd.ksh CONVERT_TEST script for run_pmcmd.ksh /u01/$(whoami)/run_pmcmd.ksh... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy162
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find ls of similar pattern files in a directory by passing the variable.

Hi, I have file in my $datadir as below :- SAT_1.txt SAT_2.txt BAT_UD.lst BAT_DD1.lst DUTT_1.txt DUTT_la.txt Expected result :- should get all the above file in $<Filename>_file.lst Below is my code :- for i in SAT BAT DUTT do touch a.lst cd $datadir (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: satishmallidi
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing Parameters to Crontab

Hello Experts, I have a requirement to pass some parameters to Linux cron tab. For ex: My default cron entry looks like this as below: ------------------------------- 55 10 * * --... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaheshChaudhari
7 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)