Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users collecting memory usage by a process Post 302494900 by methyl on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 07:18:43 PM
Old 02-08-2011
I'd use the RSS (program running size) figure.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to restrict memory usage by a process

we are running red hat ES4 and i would like to know if there is anyway of restrcting the maximum amount of memory that a process can get? I have a single preocess that is taking >13GB. Thanks, Frank (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
4 Replies

2. Solaris

RAM Physical Memory usage by each Process.

Hi All, I am trying to find the physical memory usage by each process/users. Can you please let me know how to get the memory usage?. Thanks, bsraj. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsrajirs
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Memory usage of a process

hi all, i want to write a script that checks the memory usage of processes and send a mail with the name of the process witch is using more then 300mb RAM. dose anybody have a sample script or an idea how i can make it ? PROCCESSES="snmpd sendmail" for myVar in $PROCCESSES do ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tafil
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

how could I get a process Memory Usage

I use pstat API to get Process Infomation I would like to get a process 1.process owner 2.how many physical memory and virtual memory and total memory used(KB) and usage(%) 3.a process excution file create time 4.a process excution file access time I do't know which attribute it i need ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

5. AIX

How to trace cpu/memory usage for a process

I don't know when the process will start and end, I need write a script to trace it's cpu/memory usage when it is runing. How to write this script? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rainbow_bean
2 Replies

6. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Memory usage of a process having shared libraries

Hi, I have the following two processes that's built with static libraries. Both the process have many common libraries. -rwxr-xr-x 1 xxx xxx 152946280 Oct 15 08:38 server1 -rwxr-xr-x 1 xxx xxx 41633880 Oct 15 08:39 server2. I built these two server processes making all the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivatsan_vn
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

Virtual Memory Usage a Process

Hi all, Is there any command which shows the virtual memory usage of a particular process in HP-UX machine. I have tried with ps, top but could not get what I want. Kindly provide me a solution. Thanks in Advance ARD (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ard
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Process memory usage

hi all gurus: I want to find out Solaris process memory usage, but got a bit confused, see if any one can provide me some guidance. i tend to use prstat -a to get total memory consumption by user (I know prstat likely have a bug that simply sum up the memory, regardless if the memory being... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oakville
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I check actual memory usage each Process?

I can't check actual memory usage in the Redhat 5.5... The used memory is 14214 Mb of Total 15919 by Free -m command. I sum the RSS value on PS aux command result and the value is 5428.66Mb. Yes It's quite different actual usage memory and RSS value. So I added Shared memory value... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom8254
5 Replies

10. Solaris

Find memory usage for a process

I have multiple oracle databases on one server. All the database are running from the same user i.e. oraent. The process for each database can be distinguished by the ps -ef command Eg : ps -ef | grep oraentThe Output : oraent 5361 1 0 20:58:05 ? 0:00 oracledb1... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: yashreads
11 Replies
smonitor(3C)															      smonitor(3C)

NAME
smonitor() - prepare execution profile SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
is an interface to sprofil(2) for collecting sampling information for execution profiles. To use link in the library by specifying on the linker command line or on the compiler command line. See gprof(1). For any application compiled with the option, the library collects profiling sampling information. But if an application requires finer control over profiling, the library yields control to an application that uses To stop the collection of sampling information, use: Use gprof(1) to examine the results. Parameters is an array of structures describing the regions to be profiled. It is defined in header The structure has the following fields: The fields are as follows: is the start address of the text segment of the load module. is the end address of the text segment of the load module. is the name of the load module (not the path name). The name of the load module should be the same as recorded in the executable by is the number of elements in the array regions. is the starting address a buffer to collect sampling information. is the length of is the only memory region used by to collect profiling information, so it should be big enough for all specified regions. does not initialize With more than one call to in the same process, dumps the sampling information collected with the last call. does not discard the information collected in previous calls if it is present in the buffer passed to last call of is unused and kept for future usage. is used to choose 16-bit or 32-bit buckets to collect sampling information. If is set to treats the buffer as an array of 16-bit buckets; if set to treats the buffer as an array of 32-bit buckets. For more information refer to sprofil(2). EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables The behavior of is controlled by the environment variable. See gprof(1). behaves with different settings of as follows: does not set up the buffers to collect sampling information. It is expected that will be called explicitly to collect the sampling information. So it is the ideal case to call the explicitly. sets up the sampling buffer for all the load modules and starts to collect the sampling information. Now if is invoked explicitly, is stopped, the buffer allocated by is deallocated, and all the sampling information collected prior to calling is lost. uses the buffer passed as an argument and starts again. sets up the sampling buffer for the load modules ldm1 and ldm2 and starts to collect the sampling information. Now if is invoked explicitly, is stopped, the buffer allocated by is deallocated, and all the sampling information collected prior to calling is lost. uses the buffer passed as an argument and starts again. If is not set, behaves as though FILES
SEE ALSO
cc(1), gprof(1), sprofil(2). smonitor(3C)