Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users makefile head-scratcher: multiple targets in one go Post 302494739 by drl on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 08:29:48 AM
Old 02-08-2011
Hi.

An analogy from the compilation scene -- normally you would have lines in your Makefile like:
Code:
program: main.o function1.o function2.o ... functionn.o
function1.o: function1.c
etc

you would not have the *.c as targets because you would have created them with an editor (with the exception of things like lex/yacc generated files, in which case you would have entered the requisite base files for them).

If you really need something to create the *.txt files, then I suggest that you create an initialization script that touches a.txt, b.txt, etc. -- which is exactly what I did: it made the initial content of the [abcd].txt files to be "0" so that a) they existed, b) had a value with which the demonstration equivalent of myscript could work.

If your solution performs satisfactorily, then use it; if not, then you might consider the suggestion above.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Makefile:57: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

Hi, I am getting the following error while building on Solaris 64 , while I am trying to build. Error Snippet :- ---------------------- Makefile:57: *** multiple target patterns. Stop. make: Leaving directory `/work1/patch/vds6053sun64o/vobs/jvi' make: *** Error 2 make: Leaving directory... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nileshborate
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

makefile Q about targets $@

Hi All I need to parse the target something like: ifeq '$@' 'first' echo 1 $@ endif ifeq '$@' 'second' echo 2 $@ endif The thing is to be able compare the target string to any string and then do the commands Thanks a lot ziv (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zivsegal
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

epstopdf for multiple files using makefile

Greetings! I'm fairly new to the unix world and I hope someone here can help me with my question. I'm using a Makefile to run a few programs and the final output is several .eps files. However I need them to be .pdf files, so I want to use epstopdf to convert the files. Since I'm already... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wwoord
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple script lines into a Makefile

Hi All I am creating a makefile and I want to do a clean section. In the clean section I would like to check if the file exists and then delete it. I always have an error 'unexpected end of file' What's wrong in it? Thanks msntn firstCpp: first.cpp g++ -o first first.cpp clean: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manustone
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

head / tail combination returns multiple rows

Hi, As part of our project, we need to load historical data for a year before our system is live. We have the data feed files that we need to load. However, I need to make sure that the file structure (number of fields separated by a comma) on the field is same for all the files of the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj.jha
1 Replies

6. Programming

Makefile for building multiple programs

I have the following part of a makefile and want to simplify it using rules rather than having to code the same two blocks when I need ti build another program. An having difficulty doing it all: 1dvel2 1dvel 2dvel ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: Makefile with multiple executables

I am trying to create executables for the following files Currently, I am making 9 different directories for for each. I would like to make 1 directory but everytime I try it does not work. CROSS_COMPILE?= # CROSS_COMPILE used to = arm-arago-linux-gnueabi... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpetersen
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Makefile with multiple executables

CROSS_COMPILE?= LIBDIR_APP_LOADER?=../../../../app_loader/lib INCDIR_APP_LOADER?=../../../../app_loader/include BINDIR?=../../bin CFLAGS+= -Wall -I$(INCDIR_APP_LOADER) -D__DEBUG -O2 -mtune=cortex-a8 -march=armv7-a -std=gnu99 LDFLAGS+=-L$(LIBDIR_APP_LOADER) -lprussdrv -lpthread OBJDIR=obj... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpetersen
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste multiple files, but only the sorted head -50

Hello, I want to merge multiple files (under hundreds folders) side by side. File name are the same but folder are different. like folder1/same_name.txt folder2/same_name.txt folder3/same_name.txt ......Normally it can be done as paste /different_path*/same_name.txt > merged_file.txtbut... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question in creating targets in makefile

Hi, I have a question related to makefile. I'm new to makefile and I'm in the process of writing a makefile for my RBT build. I have multiple source files and when I compile them I will get multiple object files (one object file for each source file). I'm having problem in creating a target for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anand Venkatesa
1 Replies
md(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     md(1)

NAME
md -- process raw dependency files produced by cpp -MD SYNOPSIS
md [-d] [-f] [-m makefile] [-u makefile] [-o outputfile] [-v] [-x] [-D c|d|m|o|t|D] DESCRIPTION
The md command basically does two things: Process the raw dependency files produced by the cpp -MD option. There is one line in the file for every #include encountered, but there are repeats and patterns like .../dir1/../dir2 that appear which should reduce to .../dir2. md canonicalizes and flushes repeats from the depen- dency list. It also sorts the file names and "fills" them to a 78 character line. md also updates the makefile directly with the dependency information, so the .d file can be thrown away (see d option). This is done to save space. md assumes that dependency information in the makefile is sorted by .o file name and it procedes to merge in (add/or replace [as appropriate]) the new dependency lines that it has generated. For time effeciency, md assumes that any .d files it is given that were cre- ated before the creation date of the "makefile" were processed already. It ignores them unless the force flag [f] is given. FLAG SUMMARY
-d delete the .d file after it is processed -f force an update of the dependencies in the makefile even though the makefile is more recent than the .n file (This implies that md has been run already.) -m makefile specify the makefile to be upgraded. The defaults are makefile and then Makefile -u makefile like -m above, but the file will be created if necessary -o outputfile specify an output file for the dependencies other than a makefile -v set the verbose flag -x expunge old dependency info from makefile -D c|d|m|o|t|D subswitch for debugging. can be followed by any of "c", "d", "m", "o", "t", "D" meaning: c show file contents d show new dependency crunching m show generation of makefile o show files being opened t show time comparisons D show very low level debugging SEE ALSO
make(1) BUGS
Old, possibly not used by anyone. HISTORY
The md utility was written by Robert V Baron at Carnegie-Mellon University. BSD
June 2, 2019 BSD