Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users makefile head-scratcher: multiple targets in one go Post 302494723 by treczoks on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 07:36:23 AM
Old 02-08-2011
Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by drl
My understanding is that you want to run a command if any of the targets are out of date, but only once, not once for each target.
Yep, entirely correct.

Indeed, an interesting idea to touch the config file and turn the dependencies around.

BUT:
a) It will only work when updating an existing set of files, not with creating them initially ("No rule to make target 'a.txt' needed by 'abcd.conf'")
b) It will not produce correct results in my case, as the same config file is used by several different scripts to generate targets (sometimes only one, sometimes 256 in one go)

I found a solution. Not nice, but I have to generate the makefile anyway...
Code:
# "myscript conf.dat" creates/updates a.txt, b.txt c.txt, and d.txt
all : a.txt b.txt c.txt d.txt
a.txt : conf.dat
  myscript conf.dat

b.txt : conf.dat
  myscript conf.dat

c.txt : conf.dat
  myscript conf.dat

d.txt : conf.dat
  myscript conf.dat

Looks like GNU make re-evaluates all targets after each run of a rule. Lets see how it copes with all ~8500 rules of the project...Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Makefile:57: *** multiple target patterns. Stop.

Hi, I am getting the following error while building on Solaris 64 , while I am trying to build. Error Snippet :- ---------------------- Makefile:57: *** multiple target patterns. Stop. make: Leaving directory `/work1/patch/vds6053sun64o/vobs/jvi' make: *** Error 2 make: Leaving directory... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nileshborate
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

makefile Q about targets $@

Hi All I need to parse the target something like: ifeq '$@' 'first' echo 1 $@ endif ifeq '$@' 'second' echo 2 $@ endif The thing is to be able compare the target string to any string and then do the commands Thanks a lot ziv (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zivsegal
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

epstopdf for multiple files using makefile

Greetings! I'm fairly new to the unix world and I hope someone here can help me with my question. I'm using a Makefile to run a few programs and the final output is several .eps files. However I need them to be .pdf files, so I want to use epstopdf to convert the files. Since I'm already... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wwoord
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple script lines into a Makefile

Hi All I am creating a makefile and I want to do a clean section. In the clean section I would like to check if the file exists and then delete it. I always have an error 'unexpected end of file' What's wrong in it? Thanks msntn firstCpp: first.cpp g++ -o first first.cpp clean: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manustone
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

head / tail combination returns multiple rows

Hi, As part of our project, we need to load historical data for a year before our system is live. We have the data feed files that we need to load. However, I need to make sure that the file structure (number of fields separated by a comma) on the field is same for all the files of the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raj.jha
1 Replies

6. Programming

Makefile for building multiple programs

I have the following part of a makefile and want to simplify it using rules rather than having to code the same two blocks when I need ti build another program. An having difficulty doing it all: 1dvel2 1dvel 2dvel ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help: Makefile with multiple executables

I am trying to create executables for the following files Currently, I am making 9 different directories for for each. I would like to make 1 directory but everytime I try it does not work. CROSS_COMPILE?= # CROSS_COMPILE used to = arm-arago-linux-gnueabi... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpetersen
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Makefile with multiple executables

CROSS_COMPILE?= LIBDIR_APP_LOADER?=../../../../app_loader/lib INCDIR_APP_LOADER?=../../../../app_loader/include BINDIR?=../../bin CFLAGS+= -Wall -I$(INCDIR_APP_LOADER) -D__DEBUG -O2 -mtune=cortex-a8 -march=armv7-a -std=gnu99 LDFLAGS+=-L$(LIBDIR_APP_LOADER) -lprussdrv -lpthread OBJDIR=obj... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bpetersen
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Paste multiple files, but only the sorted head -50

Hello, I want to merge multiple files (under hundreds folders) side by side. File name are the same but folder are different. like folder1/same_name.txt folder2/same_name.txt folder3/same_name.txt ......Normally it can be done as paste /different_path*/same_name.txt > merged_file.txtbut... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question in creating targets in makefile

Hi, I have a question related to makefile. I'm new to makefile and I'm in the process of writing a makefile for my RBT build. I have multiple source files and when I compile them I will get multiple object files (one object file for each source file). I'm having problem in creating a target for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anand Venkatesa
1 Replies
MAKE(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   MAKE(1)

NAME
make - maintain program groups SYNOPSIS
make [ -f makefile ] [ option ] ... file ... DESCRIPTION
Make executes commands in makefile to update one or more target names. Name is typically a program. If no -f option is present, `make- file' and `Makefile' are tried in order. If makefile is `-', the standard input is taken. More than one -f option may appear Make updates a target if it depends on prerequisite files that have been modified since the target was last modified, or if the target does not exist. Makefile contains a sequence of entries that specify dependencies. The first line of an entry is a blank-separated list of targets, then a colon, then a list of prerequisite files. Text following a semicolon, and all following lines that begin with a tab, are shell commands to be executed to update the target. Sharp and newline surround comments. The following makefile says that `pgm' depends on two files `a.o' and `b.o', and that they in turn depend on `.c' files and a common file `incl'. pgm: a.o b.o cc a.o b.o -lm -o pgm a.o: incl a.c cc -c a.c b.o: incl b.c cc -c b.c Makefile entries of the form string1 = string2 are macro definitions. Subsequent appearances of $(string1) are replaced by string2. If string1 is a single character, the parentheses are optional. Make infers prerequisites for files for which makefile gives no construction commands. For example, a `.c' file may be inferred as prereq- uisite for a `.o' file and be compiled to produce the `.o' file. Thus the preceding example can be done more briefly: pgm: a.o b.o cc a.o b.o -lm -o pgm a.o b.o: incl Prerequisites are inferred according to selected suffixes listed as the `prerequisites' for the special name `.SUFFIXES'; multiple lists accumulate; an empty list clears what came before. Order is significant; the first possible name for which both a file and a rule as described in the next paragraph exist is inferred. The default list is .SUFFIXES: .out .o .c .e .r .f .y .l .s The rule to create a file with suffix s2 that depends on a similarly named file with suffix s1 is specified as an entry for the `target' s1s2. In such an entry, the special macro $* stands for the target name with suffix deleted, $@ for the full target name, $< for the com- plete list of prerequisites, and $? for the list of prerequisites that are out of date. For example, a rule for making optimized `.o' files from `.c' files is .c.o: ; cc -c -O -o $@ $*.c Certain macros are used by the default inference rules to communicate optional arguments to any resulting compilations. In particular, `CFLAGS' is used for cc and f77(1) options, `LFLAGS' and `YFLAGS' for lex and yacc(1) options. Command lines are executed one at a time, each by its own shell. A line is printed when it is executed unless the special target `.SILENT' is in makefile, or the first character of the command is `@'. Commands returning nonzero status (see intro(1)) cause make to terminate unless the special target `.IGNORE' is in makefile or the command begins with <tab><hyphen>. Interrupt and quit cause the target to be deleted unless the target depends on the special name `.PRECIOUS'. Other options: -i Equivalent to the special entry `.IGNORE:'. -k When a command returns nonzero status, abandon work on the current entry, but continue on branches that do not depend on the current entry. -n Trace and print, but do not execute the commands needed to update the targets. -t Touch, i.e. update the modified date of targets, without executing any commands. -r Equivalent to an initial special entry `.SUFFIXES:' with no list. -s Equivalent to the special entry `.SILENT:'. FILES
makefile, Makefile SEE ALSO
sh(1), touch(1) S. I. Feldman Make - A Program for Maintaining Computer Programs BUGS
Some commands return nonzero status inappropriately. Use -i to overcome the difficulty. Commands that are directly executed by the shell, notably cd(1), are ineffectual across newlines in make. MAKE(1)