Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Need help with a shell script for finding a certain pattern from log file Post 302494684 by rockf1bull on Tuesday 8th of February 2011 04:38:29 AM
Old 02-08-2011
SmilieTruely amazing Frank!!!SmilieSmilie
You just did an awesome job and it did work for me Smilie

Guess I got really excited since this was my first post though I have been visiting this forum for a while now.

If you don't mind, can you please tell me a bit about those regular expressions?
I assume ^ stands for first line though not sure about !, ', ], p etc..

I am learning all these though it would be at least a good couple of months before I get close to this. One last favour was I already have a host of online sites, contents, ebooks to go through on general linux and unix stuff though if you can refer me to any good books for scripting beginners on both shell and perl, that would be really great. Though, this is not very urgent.

Thanks once again,
Andy.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with finding & replacing pattern in a file

Hi everyone. Could u be so kind and help me with on "simple" shell script? 1. i need to search a file line by line for a pattern. example of a lines in that file 2947 domain = feD,id = 00 0A 02 48 17 1E 1D 39 DE 00 0E 00,Name Values:snNo = f10 Add AttFlag = 0 2. i need to find... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dusoo
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for finding an error from a log file

Hi , I have a doubt about a shell script to find an ERROR from the log file. But I need to specify a the scan from a particular date and time in the log. Till now I have developed the following script. Please suggest what shall I add in this for date and time. If the script finds a particular... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: himvat
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to monitor the pattern in the log file

hi All, how to find a pattern in the log file & display the above and below line for example in the log file, i have many lines, whenever i search for "Category" it should display the above line with only few parameter like i want only the location name & department name Thu Jul 02 11:05:23... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rithick256
2 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

shell script that can create, monitor the log files and report the issues for matching pattern

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write an automated shell program(s) that can create, monitor the log files and report the issues for matching... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: itian2010
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding log files that match number pattern

I have logs files which are generated each day depending on how many processes are running. Some days it could spin up 30 processes. Other days it could spin up 50. The log files all have the same pattern with the number being the different factor. e.g. LOG_FILE_1.log LOG_FILE_2.log etc etc ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atelford
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the pattern and replacing the pattern inside the file

i have little challenge, help me out.i have a file where i have a value declared and and i have to replace the value when called. for example i have the value for abc and ccc. now i have to substitute the value of value abc and ccc in the place of them. Input File: go to &abc=ddd; if... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: saaisiva
16 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding file pattern in ksh 88

Hi, I've to find the file which has the pattern "Delete Report for History Tables" and need to search this file pattern from directory which has sub directories as well. I'm using ksh 88 Please suggest me which command will be used to find the file pattern . Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smile689
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to search for a pattern in 30 minutes from a log file

Hello All, I have to write a script which will search for diffrent patterns like "Struck" "Out of Memory" , etc from a log file in Linux box's. Now I will be executing a cron job to find out the results by executing the script once in every 30 minutes. suppose time is 14-04-29:05:31:09 So I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shubhasis Mathr
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding file extension on C Shell script

I very new to C Shell. I am trying to do is read from Command line. Find the if the file is zip, .txt, symbloic link,pipe, unknow (if file is not zip, txt, sy....) here is what I what got so far. I am very stuck atm Please help me out : If the file is symblooc link what file is link to ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: madbull41
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the file name in a directory with a pattern

I need to find the latest file -filename_YYYYMMDD in the directory DIR. the below is not working as the position is shifting each time because of the spaces between(occuring mostly at file size field as it differs every time.) please suggest if there is other way. report =‘ls -ltr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: archana25
2 Replies
Encode::Guess(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  Encode::Guess(3)

NAME
Encode::Guess -- Guesses encoding from data SYNOPSIS
# if you are sure $data won't contain anything bogus use Encode; use Encode::Guess qw/euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis/; my $utf8 = decode("Guess", $data); my $data = encode("Guess", $utf8); # this doesn't work! # more elaborate way use Encode::Guess; my $enc = guess_encoding($data, qw/euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis/); ref($enc) or die "Can't guess: $enc"; # trap error this way $utf8 = $enc->decode($data); # or $utf8 = decode($enc->name, $data) ABSTRACT
Encode::Guess enables you to guess in what encoding a given data is encoded, or at least tries to. DESCRIPTION
By default, it checks only ascii, utf8 and UTF-16/32 with BOM. use Encode::Guess; # ascii/utf8/BOMed UTF To use it more practically, you have to give the names of encodings to check (suspects as follows). The name of suspects can either be canonical names or aliases. CAVEAT: Unlike UTF-(16|32), BOM in utf8 is NOT AUTOMATICALLY STRIPPED. # tries all major Japanese Encodings as well use Encode::Guess qw/euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis/; If the $Encode::Guess::NoUTFAutoGuess variable is set to a true value, no heuristics will be applied to UTF8/16/32, and the result will be limited to the suspects and "ascii". Encode::Guess->set_suspects You can also change the internal suspects list via "set_suspects" method. use Encode::Guess; Encode::Guess->set_suspects(qw/euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis/); Encode::Guess->add_suspects Or you can use "add_suspects" method. The difference is that "set_suspects" flushes the current suspects list while "add_suspects" adds. use Encode::Guess; Encode::Guess->add_suspects(qw/euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis/); # now the suspects are euc-jp,shiftjis,7bit-jis, AND # euc-kr,euc-cn, and big5-eten Encode::Guess->add_suspects(qw/euc-kr euc-cn big5-eten/); Encode::decode("Guess" ...) When you are content with suspects list, you can now my $utf8 = Encode::decode("Guess", $data); Encode::Guess->guess($data) But it will croak if: o Two or more suspects remain o No suspects left So you should instead try this; my $decoder = Encode::Guess->guess($data); On success, $decoder is an object that is documented in Encode::Encoding. So you can now do this; my $utf8 = $decoder->decode($data); On failure, $decoder now contains an error message so the whole thing would be as follows; my $decoder = Encode::Guess->guess($data); die $decoder unless ref($decoder); my $utf8 = $decoder->decode($data); guess_encoding($data, [, list of suspects]) You can also try "guess_encoding" function which is exported by default. It takes $data to check and it also takes the list of suspects by option. The optional suspect list is not reflected to the internal suspects list. my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, qw/euc-jp euc-kr euc-cn/); die $decoder unless ref($decoder); my $utf8 = $decoder->decode($data); # check only ascii, utf8 and UTF-(16|32) with BOM my $decoder = guess_encoding($data); CAVEATS
o Because of the algorithm used, ISO-8859 series and other single-byte encodings do not work well unless either one of ISO-8859 is the only one suspect (besides ascii and utf8). use Encode::Guess; # perhaps ok my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, 'latin1'); # definitely NOT ok my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, qw/latin1 greek/); The reason is that Encode::Guess guesses encoding by trial and error. It first splits $data into lines and tries to decode the line for each suspect. It keeps it going until all but one encoding is eliminated out of suspects list. ISO-8859 series is just too successful for most cases (because it fills almost all code points in x00-xff). o Do not mix national standard encodings and the corresponding vendor encodings. # a very bad idea my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, qw/shiftjis MacJapanese cp932/); The reason is that vendor encoding is usually a superset of national standard so it becomes too ambiguous for most cases. o On the other hand, mixing various national standard encodings automagically works unless $data is too short to allow for guessing. # This is ok if $data is long enough my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, qw/euc-cn euc-jp shiftjis 7bit-jis euc-kr big5-eten/); o DO NOT PUT TOO MANY SUSPECTS! Don't you try something like this! my $decoder = guess_encoding($data, Encode->encodings(":all")); It is, after all, just a guess. You should alway be explicit when it comes to encodings. But there are some, especially Japanese, environment that guess-coding is a must. Use this module with care. TO DO
Encode::Guess does not work on EBCDIC platforms. SEE ALSO
Encode, Encode::Encoding perl v5.16.3 2013-04-29 Encode::Guess(3)