Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix/Linux System Administrator - Study Advice Post 302494272 by kalignas on Sunday 6th of February 2011 03:48:52 PM
Old 02-06-2011
Unix/Linux System Administrator - Study Advice

Hello all,

I really hope that this is the right Forum to post this kind of a question...

I have been working in the IT support industry for nearly 3 years now. I started of providing end-user support. So enough to say that I provided my fair share of "have you tried turning it off and on" solutions and did more password resets then is medically healthy for one... Anyway, to make a long story short I am now supporting HP-UX and Linux (SUSE and Red Hat) in mostly business critical environments for a living.

Although I am very happy with my current job I do of course sometimes wonder what my next position might be... And this is exactly where I need some help with. The logical next step (in my opinion at least) is to become a (Junior) System Administrator (which has been pretty much my goal when I started 3 years ago). However, providing support for Unix/Linux issues is obviously quite different from actually managing a couple of these servers. I must say that over the years I have become quite good at researching issues and documenting solutions... But at the same time I do not feel overly confident about mu administration skills.

So what I really like to know (hopefully from some experienced Unix/Linux system administrators) is how to proceed to the next level. How do I move from a support job into a administrator job? Or maybe even better, how did you manage to get there?

What I am especially interested in is:
- what certificate/course would you recommend me taking?
- what topics should I focus on?
- what else do you recommend me doing to make the transition as smooth as possible?

I was thinking to do the following:
- try to get the RHCSA (or possibly RHCE) certification under my belt
- focus on shell scripting (maybe Perl)

What are your thoughts? Keep in mind that I am currently living and working in Europe (not sure if that makes a difference?).

Thanks in advance for your time and suggestions!

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Good tips to Unix System Administrator

A list with sites that have a good tips to Unix System Administrator : www.samag.com www-1.ibm.com/servers/aix/products/aixos/whitepapers/aixmapping.html www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2/index.html www.spec.org Witt (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: witt
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want URGENT Advice:Career as UNIX Systme Administrator

Dear All, I have finished my MS in chemical engineering from US university and presetly on OPT work permit. I do not have software background. I have received call from consultant company. They are offering me AIX UNIX training for four weeks and find me a job. My question is how difficuilt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saarth_desh
5 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Unix Administrator and Linux Administrator transition

Hello Unix Experts, I'm going to be graduating with a CIS (Computer Information Systems) degree in the coming year. I have been offered an internship with a job title of Unix Administrator under a well known company. I understand that Unix is used for high-end servers in many large... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brentmd24
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix System Programmer Vs. Unix System Administrator

Hi friends, I hope you are all fine and doing well. First of all, let me say that I love Unix with passion. But I have one query in my mind that is bothering me. What should I do, Unix System Administration or Unix System Programmering. Could you please tell me the difference between the two. And... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
3 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Recommended skill and training for Linux system administrator

Hi Friends ! I'm sorry if this not right place to ask questions like this. I'm working as a Linux system administrator in one of the Indian hosting company that provides tech support to various UK and US based clients. I have now total 3+ years of web hosting technology experience and good... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratik_rao
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Linux System Administrator for a role in CH

Hi guys I hope I will not break any rules and guidelines on the forum with this post. I am Admir, working as a recruiter for execIT Recruitment Zurich, Switzerland. Our client is an urgent need of a linux system administrator/support analyst who has trading floor experience and is eligible... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BosAd
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Becoming a system administrator, need some advice.

I've been learning linux and solaris for the past couple months and have been thinking about seeking a systems admin career. Is it worth it to learn solaris? Do many companies really use it or is it a waste of my time? Would learning just linux be a better idea? I see there's more opportunity as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: austinramsay
2 Replies
DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Replicated::Balancer(3)	User Contributed Perl Documentation	DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Replicated::Balancer(3)

NAME
DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Replicated::Balancer - A Software Load Balancer SYNOPSIS
This role is used internally by DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Replicated. DESCRIPTION
Given a pool (DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Replicated::Pool) of replicated database's (DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Replicated::Replicant), defines a method by which query load can be spread out across each replicant in the pool. ATTRIBUTES
This class defines the following attributes. auto_validate_every ($seconds) If auto_validate has some sort of value, run "validate_replicants" in DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Replicated::Pool every $seconds. Be careful with this, because if you set it to 0 you will end up validating every query. master The DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI object that is the master database all the replicants are trying to follow. The balancer needs to know it since it's the ultimate fallback. pool The DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Replicated::Pool object that we are trying to balance. current_replicant Replicant storages (slaves) handle all read only traffic. The assumption is that your database will become readbound well before it becomes write bound and that being able to spread your read only traffic around to multiple databases is going to help you to scale traffic. This attribute returns the next slave to handle a read request. Your "pool" attribute has methods to help you shuffle through all the available replicants via its balancer object. METHODS
This class defines the following methods. _build_current_replicant Lazy builder for the "current_replicant_storage" attribute. next_storage This method should be defined in the class which consumes this role. Given a pool object, return the next replicant that will serve queries. The default behavior is to grab the first replicant it finds but you can write your own subclasses of DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Replicated::Balancer to support other balance systems. This returns from the pool of active replicants. If there are no active replicants, then you should have it return the master as an ultimate fallback. around: next_storage Advice on next storage to add the autovalidation. We have this broken out so that it's easier to break out the auto validation into a role. This also returns the master in the case that none of the replicants are active or just forgot to create them :) increment_storage Rolls the Storage to whatever is next in the queue, as defined by the Balancer. around: select Advice on the select attribute. Each time we use a replicant we need to change it via the storage pool algorithm. That way we are spreading the load evenly (hopefully) across existing capacity. around: select_single Advice on the select_single attribute. Each time we use a replicant we need to change it via the storage pool algorithm. That way we are spreading the load evenly (hopefully) across existing capacity. before: columns_info_for Advice on the current_replicant_storage attribute. Each time we use a replicant we need to change it via the storage pool algorithm. That way we are spreading the load evenly (hopefully) across existing capacity. _get_forced_pool ($name) Given an identifier, find the most correct storage object to handle the query. AUTHOR
John Napiorkowski <jjnapiork@cpan.org> LICENSE
You may distribute this code under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2014-01-05 DBIx::Class::Storage::DBI::Replicated::Balancer(3)