Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting script hangs when reading from stdin Post 302494247 by ux4me on Sunday 6th of February 2011 12:23:30 PM
Old 02-06-2011
it's KSH on AIX. trying to use the script to capture errors generated by another program into the stdin.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Help:error in reading from stdin

void redirect(int argc, char *argv) { int flag; if (strcmp(argv, ">") == 0) flag = 1; else if (strcmp(argv, "<") == 0) flag = 2; else if (strcmp(argv, ">>") == 0) flag = 3; else printf("Something Wrong,Please Check!\n"); switch (flag) {... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Hangs!

Hi, I have script which is based on TCL and expect. It is written to test my code. It usually runs fine for a while and hangs after sometime. Code snippet set l_temp_timeout $timeout OUTPUT_LOG2 2 >>>$expect_out(buffer)<<< OUTPUT_LOG2 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveenpn
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot redirect to STDIN in a shell script

I am unable to use STDIn redirection with < (commands) When I do the following, both approaches work and give the same results: 1. $ printf "aaa\nbbb\n" > file1 $ printf "111\n222\n" > file2 $ cat file1 file2 aaa bbb 111 2222. $ cat <(printf "aaa\nbbb\n") <(printf "111\n222\n") aaa... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: metaltree
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading from stdin in a shell script

Hello, I've managed to get my .procmailrc file to work. At least it triggers a script which creates a file. But the file is empty. How do I get at the data that's been piped? I've done much creative googling to no avail. I belive it should be in stdin, but I can't figure out how to access... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmesford
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to pass multiple stdin to prorgam?

Running on AIX 5.3L. I have a program "foo" written in Fortran that requires 3 levels of inputs from stdin (command prompt). > foo Enter Input 1: a Enter Input 2: b Enter Input 3: c running foo success! > How do I get a shell script to run this automatically? > echo "a" | foo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: discoganya
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Suplying stdin input within script

Hi , I have script in that , i uninstall rpm using rpm -ef $rc1 now my query is rpm -ef is asking user input DO YOU Want To continue (YES/NO) for each uninstalltion. now i want to supply YES variable when it asks for above statement . so that i dont have to give user input from... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghavendra.nsn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing stdin value into a script that is called from another script

I'm trying to automatically pass user input values into a script that is being called from another script, below is my current script and I added a comment next to the script where it asks user to enter input value. Thanks, mbak #!/bin/ksh echo " Adding disks for DB server then Enter YES... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to use stdin as argument for script?

Say I had an extremely simple script called testScript.sh: #!/bin/sh echo $1 and I invoked it as: source testScript.sh <<< x or source testScript.sh <<< inputFile.txt When I do the above the values don't appear in the echo statement, and I know that is because in the echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: steezuschrist96
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accept data from file or stdin in script

I have a script that looks like this:sed -f myfile.sed $1 > $1.out called myscript and would like to change it so the parameter isn't necessary: ls *.idx | myscript | xargs some_command What do I need to add so it can run either way? TIA ---------- Post updated at 09:41 AM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wbport
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help with the Script to pass stdin in run time

I have put a script inside bash_profile of user "root". That script executes when we do "sudo su -" and prompts with a question : "Why are you logginf as root?" and users have to pass the reason then they get prompt. Inside script we have used "read -p input" to take input from user. I am a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shekhar_4_u
3 Replies
TEXTDUMP(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 					       TEXTDUMP(4)

NAME
textdump -- textdump kernel dumping facility SYNOPSIS
options KDB options DDB DESCRIPTION
The textdump facility allows the capture of kernel debugging information to disk in a human-readable rather than the machine-readable form normally used with kernel memory dumps and minidumps. This representation, while less complete in that it does not capture full kernel state, can provide debugging information in a more compact, portable, and persistent form than a traditional dump. By combining textdump with other ddb(4) facilities, such as scripting and output capture, detailed bug information can be captured in a fully automated manner. FORMAT
textdump data is stored in a dump partition in the same style as a regular memory dump, and will be automatically extracted by savecore(8) if present on boot. textdump files are stored in the tar(5) format, and consist of one or more text files, each storing a particular type of debugging output. The following parts may be present: ddb.txt Captured ddb(4) output, if the capture facility has been used. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_ddb sysctl. config.txt Kernel configuration, if has been compiled into the kernel. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_config sysctl. msgbuf.txt Kernel message buffer, including recent console output if the capture facility has been used. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_msgbuf sysctl. panic.txt Kernel panic string, if the kernel panicked before the dump was generated. May be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_panic sysctl. version.txt Kernel version string. My be disabled by clearing the debug.ddb.textdump.do_version sysctl. Kernel textdumps may be extracted using tar(1). CONFIGURATION
The textdump facility is enabled as part of the kernel debugger using options KDB and options DDB. By default, kernel dumps generated on panic or via explicit requests for a dump will be regular memory dumps; however, by using the textdump set command in ddb(4), or by setting the debug.ddb.textdump.pending sysctl to 1 using sysctl(8), it is possible to request that the next dump be a textdump. If at the ddb(4) command line, the commands textdump set, textdump status, and textdump unset may be used to set, query, and clear the textdump pending flag. As with regular kernel dumps, a dump partition must be automatically or manually configured using dumpon(8). EXAMPLES
In the following example, the script kdb.enter.panic will run when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a panic, enable output cap- ture, dump several useful pieces of debugging information, and then invoke panic in order to force a kernel dump to be written out followed by a reboot: script kdb.enter.panic=textdump set; capture on; show allpcpu; bt; ps; alltrace; show alllock; call doadump; reset In the following example, the script kdb.enter.witness will run when the kernel debugger is entered as a result of a witness violation, printing lock-related information for the user: script kdb.enter.witness=show locks These scripts may also be configured using the ddb(8) utility. SEE ALSO
tar(1), ddb(4), tar(5), ddb(8), dumpon(8), savecore(8), sysctl(8) HISTORY
The textdump facility first appeared in FreeBSD 7.1. AUTHORS
The textdump facility was created by Robert N. M. Watson. BSD
December 24, 2008 BSD