Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Confused with find
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Confused with find Post 302494158 by Aia on Saturday 5th of February 2011 08:23:59 PM
Old 02-05-2011
You can ask `find' to search in any directory you want

Code:
find . /tmp $HOME -name foo

Look for the file foo in current directory, in /tmp and in $HOME

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confused,,,,

Hi,,, is there any possibility to install Linux in my P.C which is use Win98 without loose anything from my hard disk???? ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Is it better for a newbie in this kind of OS to install Linux instead of... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: spyros
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confused

hi! how when i'm chattin inside com there was this chatter andi don't know what he did but he saw all my files inside my shell. what did he do? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hapiworm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

confused with cp

may i know what cp $1 $2 $0 $2 does? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: C|[anti-trust]
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

confused

A red hat linux ftp server exists in which a file exists. My problem is I need to connect to this server from my windows xp terminal which is in the same network & retrieve the file then convert it to xcel for some data Pls advs commands and procedure to connect to the machine...oh my god... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sauravjung
1 Replies

5. Solaris

Confused c#t#d#s#

I am confused c#t#d#s# once I learn the following : slice 0 ...... 0 to 2520 slice 1....... 2521 to 2840 slice 6........2841 to 8891 slice 2........0 to 8891 really really confused. Please explain. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: deltakutty
8 Replies

6. Ubuntu

New and Confused

Hello, I am having a problem with Dual Booting Windows XP Pro and Linux Mint. I have Three Hard Drives, One Hard Drive has Linux Mint Loaded on it. When it is hooked up to the computer by itself it works great. This is an IDE Drive. The Second Hard Drive has Window XP Pro loaded on it.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Forextrading
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Confused with if/then

Hi All, I'm pretty new to this so please bear with me... I'm trying to write a bash script to first search in a file for a string of characters; if the characters exist than skip the rest of the code until you get to the last line and run that command /sbdin/ldconfig; if the string doesn't... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gmdune
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find + Symlinks = me confused

So i have read the man pages a few time. Searched google but I am not quite sure i understand all the lingo. What i want to do is list all files on / except i dont want any symlinks (because if I am searching / I will find the "true" file...correct?) So there is the -P, -H, and '-type l'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to find the perfect code...Geting confused in between

I have to find last delimiter in each line of a file and store the value after the last '/' in a variable in ksh script...Pls Pls help me:(The file is as shown below: /opt/apps/cobqa/apps/abadv/bind/advc0007.bnd /opt/apps/cobqa/apps/abbrio/bind/naac6115.bnd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhavanabahety
5 Replies
dpkg-name(1)							  dpkg utilities						      dpkg-name(1)

NAME
dpkg-name - rename Debian packages to full package names SYNOPSIS
dpkg-name [option...] [--] file... DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents the dpkg-name program which provides an easy way to rename Debian packages into their full package names. A full package name consists of package_version_architecture.package-type as specified in the control file of the package. The version part of the filename consists of the upstream version information optionally followed by a hyphen and the revision information. The package-type part comes from that field if present or fallbacks to deb. OPTIONS
-a, --no-architecture The destination filename will not have the architecture information. -k, --symlink Create a symlink, instead of moving. -o, --overwrite Existing files will be overwritten if they have the same name as the destination filename. -s, --subdir [dir] Files will be moved into a subdirectory. If the directory given as argument exists the files will be moved into that directory oth- erwise the name of the target directory is extracted from the section field in the control part of the package. The target directory will be `unstable/binary-architecture/section'. If the section is not found in the control, then `no-section' is assumed, and in this case, as well as for sections `non-free' and `contrib' the target directory is `section/binary-architecture'. The section field isn't required so a lot of packages will find their way to the `no-section' area. Use this option with care, it's messy. -c, --create-dir This option can used together with the -s option. If a target directory isn't found it will be created automatically. Use this option with care. -?, --help Show the usage message and exit. -v, --version Show the version and exit. EXAMPLES
dpkg-name bar-foo.deb The file `bar-foo.deb' will be renamed to bar-foo_1.0-2_i386.deb or something similar (depending on whatever information is in the control part of `bar-foo.deb'). find /root/debian/ -name '*.deb' | xargs -n 1 dpkg-name -a All files with the extension `deb' in the directory /root/debian and its subdirectory's will be renamed by dpkg-name if required into names with no architecture information. find -name '*.deb' | xargs -n 1 dpkg-name -a -o -s -c Don't do this. Your archive will be messed up completely because a lot of packages don't come with section information. Don't do this. dpkg-deb --build debian-tmp && dpkg-name -o -s .. debian-tmp.deb This can be used when building new packages. BUGS
Some packages don't follow the name structure package_version_architecture.deb. Packages renamed by dpkg-name will follow this structure. Generally this will have no impact on how packages are installed by dselect(1)/dpkg(1), but other installation tools might depend on this naming structure. SEE ALSO
deb(5), deb-control(5), dpkg(1), dpkg-deb(1), find(1), xargs(1). Debian Project 2012-04-15 dpkg-name(1)