Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Printing the line number in bash script Post 302494052 by AlphaLexman on Friday 4th of February 2011 04:21:16 PM
Old 02-04-2011
In bash:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

echo "Welcome to my script."
echo $LINENO
echo "The above variable should be: 4"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing a line number using awk

Hi Chaps, I'm trying to print the line number of a comma delimited file where the second field in the line is blank using AWK. Here is the code I have so far where am I going wrong. It is the last column in the file. nawk -v x==0 'BEGIN {FS=",";OFS=","} x++ if ($2 == " ") print $x' bob.tst ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjsha1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

printing line number

hi, i have a file, i need to search for a string , if the line contains i need to print that line number and line , please help thanks in advance Satya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regarding about printing line number

Hello, I am testing some data to get line number at cursor position 9 and found some problem, the code is below.Assume we got 3 attribute. At second attribute, there are some data(eg.A41/A6) missing like at the fourth and six line 11006 A41 1888 11006 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidkhan
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing the line number of first column found

Hello, I have a question on how to find the line number of the first column that contains specific data. I know how to print all the line numbers of those columns, but haven't been able to figure out how to print only the first one that is found. For example, if my data has four columns: 115... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: user553
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete lines above a certin line number in bash shell

Hi, I have written a script that returns the line number of the pattern i want and i stored the line number in a variable(getlinenumber).Now i want to delete all the lines in a file above this line number which is stored in a variable. i am using sed '1,$getlinenumberd' > file1.txt which is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete lines above a certin line number in bash shell

Hi, I have written a script that returns the line number of the pattern i want and i stored the line number in a variable.Now i want to delete all the lines in a file above this line number which is stored in a variable. i am using sed '1,$getlinenumberd' > file1.txt which is not working(wrog... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learninguser235
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing Number of Fields with the line number

Hi, How to print the number of fields in each record with the line number? Lets saw I have 3212|shipped|received| 3213|shipped|undelivered| 3214|shipped|received|delivered I tried the code awk -F '|' '{print NF}' This gives me ouput as 3 3 4 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: machomaddy
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script for printing folder names and their sizes

Good day, everyone! I'm very new to bash scripting. Our teacher gave us a task to create a script that basically does the same job the 'du' command does, with the difference that 'du' command gives an output in the form of <size> <folder name>and what we need is <folder name> <size>As for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: UncleIS
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Bash script for printing folder names and their sizes

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: The task is to create a script that would reproduce the output of 'du' command, but in a different way: what 'du' does is: <size> <folder name>and what is needed is <folder name> <size>We need to show only 10 folders which are the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: UncleIS
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash detecting number of digits in line

Hi I have a problem, I am attempting to write a bash script that goes through a file and can determine how many characters are at a set point in a line starting with QTY+113:100:PCE, If it detects 3 digits (number in bold) then pad it out with 12 zero's If there are only two digits then pad it... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: firefox2k2
8 Replies
uudemon(4)						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							uudemon(4)

NAME
uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour, uudemon.poll - Administrative shell scripts for polling remote systems, cleaning up spool directories, reporting status to the system administrator, and routine invocations of the uuxqt and uusched daemons SYNOPSIS
These shell scripts reside in the following directory: /usr/lib/uucp DESCRIPTION
All the scripts can be run from the command line or can be run automatically by the cron daemon. To automatically run the scripts, remove the comment character (#) from the beginning of the relevant line in the /var/spool/cron/crontabs/uucp file. This script reports status to the system administrator. It issues the uustat command to find out the status of uucp jobs. It mails the results to the uucp login ID. The script may be modified to send mail to any login ID such as the uucp administrative login ID (uucpa) or root. This script cleans up the /var/spool/uucp and /var/spool/uucppublic directories by running the uucleanup command. The uucleanup com- mand is run with the following parameters: -C7, -D7, X2, -o2, -W1. This script runs the uusched and uuxqt daemons in the background. This script polls the systems listed in the /usr/lib/uucp/Poll file. The uudemon.poll script should be scheduled before the uudemon.hour script. This allows uudemon.poll to create any command files before cron runs the uudemon.hour script. FILES
Contains the uudemon.admin, uudemon.cleanu, uudemon.hour and uudemon.poll files. Contains the uucp file. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: cron(8), uucleanup(8), uusched(8), uuxqt(1) Files: /usr/lib/uucp delim off uudemon(4)