Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: sed internal working
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed internal working Post 302494016 by Perderabo on Friday 4th of February 2011 01:28:16 PM
Old 02-04-2011
Code:
# ls -li data
3180921 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 42 Feb  4 09:33 data
# sed -i 's/2/B/' data
# ls -li data
3180920 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 42 Feb  4 13:24 data
#

The inode changed. It's a different file with the same name. sed copied the data to a new file to make the change. Then it deleted the old file and renamed the new file.
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed not working

Hi, Iam doing the following using sed in a script , it is NOT working line_old= 3754|Yes|Yes line_new= 3754|Yes|Yes|Yes|Yes sed -e 's/$line_old/$line_new/' data.$$ > tmp.$$ mv tmp.$$ data.$$ Regards (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baanprog
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sed command not working

Hi, I have a test file as follows: 1G102119 ^ AA1179291 ^ 06oct2006 09:50:35^ 73.4^ 2^ 13^ 0^ 1493 1G102119 ^ AA1179291 ^ 06oct2006 09:49:45^ 73.4^ 2^ 13^ 0^ 1493 1G102119 ^ AA1179291 ^ 06oct2006 09:48:58^ 73.4^ 2^ 17^ 0^ 2 1G102119 ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi_kiran_v
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed not working

I am working on sed ... to replace a string... but not able to save. i need to repalce a string in httpd.conf in numerous directories. I am doing this find /opt/apache/*/conf/ -name httpd.conf -exec sed 's/LogLevel debug/LogLevel error/g' {} \; even tried with find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: logic0
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not working for me.

Hi All, I need to modify ifcfg-eth0 file. The file currently contains the following: ONBOOT=no The desired output of the file is: ONBOOT=no DEVICE=eth0 BOOTPROTO=static IPADDR=234.235.34.56 NETMASK=255.255.255.0 GATEWAY=234.235.34.1 I know sed can help me in this, and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Forwarding internal internet packets to internal webserver using iptables

Hi, I need to redirect internal internet requests to a auth client site siting on the gateway. Currently users that are authenticated to access the internet have there mac address listed in the FORWARD chain. All other users need to be redirected to a internal site for authentication. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mshindo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed not working

Hi All, Need some assistance n my script. My file is LBXBC040904071724 and output should be LBX0904071704 tempFile=`echo $file | cut -c 4-7` tempFile1=`echo $file | sed -e s/$tempFile//` min=`expr substr $tempFile1 12 2` cycleno=`expr substr $tempFile 3 2` newFile=`echo $tempFile1 |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jda
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed not working

hello, I am not able to redirect the output to the same file, where I am searching and replacing a pattern. D:\>cat abc.txt abc D:\>sed "s\abc\xyz\g" abc.txt > abc.txt D:\>cat abc.txt D:\> If I dont redirect the output to abc.txt, the command is working fine, even if I append the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetanpunekar
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed not working the way i want it

I dont get something about sed If i have a text file inside contain a:a:a:a:a sed "s/"$title:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/"$Ntitle:$author:$price:$qtyAvailable:$qtySold"/" This work!! i can change a to be something else but If i have a text file inside contain Tom Tom:La... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GQiang
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I sed its not working!

sed -i '' 's:'<string>/Users/testuser/Desktop/test.sh</string>':'something':g' log.txt The log file has this in <string>/Users/testuser/Desktop/test.sh</string> and I want to change it to something This code isn't working any ideas? Its doing my head in! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: digitalviking
4 Replies

10. Solaris

SSH: internal working but external not working

Hi, This is a strange issue: We have an sftp server. Users can ssh to it from internal LAN without any issue, but they can not ssh to it externally via firewall. Here is what I got: OS is Solaris 9. No hosts.allow and hosts.deny files. Please help. Thank you in advance! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixlover
7 Replies
Blt_TreeDeleteNode(3)					      BLT Library Procedures					     Blt_TreeDeleteNode(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Blt_TreeDeleteNode - Deletes a node and its descendants. SYNOPSIS
#include <bltTree.h> Blt_TreeNode Blt_TreeDeleteNode(tree, node) ARGUMENTS
Blt_Tree tree (in) Tree containing the node. Blt_TreeNode node (in) Node to be deleted. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This procedure deletes a given node and all it descendants from a tree data object. The arguments are as follows: tree The tree containing the parent node. node Node to be deleted. The node and its descendant nodes are deleted. Each node's data values are deleted also. The reference count of the Tcl_Obj is decremented. Since all tree objects must contain at least a root node, the root node itself can't be deleted unless the tree is released and destroyed. Therefore you can clear a tree by deleting its root, but the root node will remain until the tree is destroyed. RETURNS
Always returns TCL_OK. Errors generated in a notification callbacks are backgrounded (see Tcl_TreeCreateNotifyHandler). EXAMPLE
The following example deletes the root node. Blt_TreeNode root; root = Blt_TreeRootNode(token); Blt_TreeDeleteNode(token, root); NOTIFICATIONS
Blt_TreeDeleteNode can trigger tree notify events. You can be notified whenever a node is deleted by using the Blt_TreeCreateNotifyHan- dler. A callback routine is registered that will be automatically invoked whenever a node is deleted via Blt_TreeDeleteNode to the tree. KEYWORDS
tree, token BLT
2.4 Blt_TreeDeleteNode(3)