Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Inherited VIO server an LPARs Post 302494003 by rbatte1 on Friday 4th of February 2011 12:48:24 PM
Old 02-04-2011
That would be wonderful if there was an easy conversion path away from a single VIO server. I have what I have been given.

Should I be looking to unmirror the VIO rootvg, release the disk and then find a way to create another LPAR with dedicated access to the now spare disk? I'm afraid there has been no training and very lttle documentation on VIO.

I have a sinking feeling that you are going to tell me that there should be 2 VIO servers as hardware items segragated from the LPARs somehow. I'[ve tried the IBM website but it's either nothing or Ijust get swamped. I'm obviously not phrasing the search very well.

Given I have one p520 and four internal disks, what am I looking at?

Help! Smilie

Apologies if I'm being stupid and missing something obvious. Smilie

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Inherited server - need help

I have inherited admin duties on an old server running SCO Open Server 5. No changes have been made to this thing for a very long time. The server has started randomly disconnecting itself from the network. I have to reboot the server to get it to find the network again. It happens about once a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmickens
3 Replies

2. AIX

Virtual Ethernet VIO HMC LPARs

Hi, I am little confused about the virtual Ethernet configuration on VIO and Client Partitions. There is alot of info on the internet but it gets more confusing.... If I have LHEA, it is very simple. Just assign LHEA (logical host ethernet adapter) to client partition -> run smitty tcpip and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
10 Replies

3. AIX

vio server and vio client

Hi, I want to know wheather partition size for installation of vio client can be specified on vio server example If I am installing vio server on blade with 2*300gb hard disk,after that I want to create 2 vio client (AIX Operating system) wheather I can specify hard disk size while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

4. AIX

Identifying the vio server names

Hi My vio client is getting its virtual Ethernet services from dual vio servers. What command if I execute on the vio client will get me the names of the vio servers ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies

5. AIX

VIO server on p520

trying to put VIO server software into this p520, firmware upgraded to the latest and greatest..SF240_415_318 , I think a few questions, on this practice AIX machine on AIX 7.1 VIO can only be installed if ASMI or HMC is running ??? if so, perhaps ASMI is much simpler, since I will need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies

6. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

7. AIX

Mirroring vio server

Hi, I would like to know installing vio server on local disk and mirroring rootvg, if I am creating AIX VIO CLIENT(lpar), and any of single local hard disk failuare. will it affect lpars? will lpars able to boot. what needs to be done? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

8. AIX

VIO Server

Hi, I am facing an issue in vio server. When I run bosboot -ad /dev/hdisk0 I am getting an error trustchk: Verification of attributes failed: /usr/sbin/bootinfo : accessauths regards, vjm Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to identify the blade from VIO server?

Hello, I would like to identify the blade or/and bladecenter from the hosted VIO server. I prefer the "command line" solution. May be kdb. Like, I want to ask the child about his father. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x41
1 Replies

10. AIX

Need to replace a broken PV in a VIO VG used for client LPARs (and it won't release the old one)

I have a broken PV in a VIO VG that's used to support client LPARs using LVs. On the client LPAR, I reduced all PVs from the relevant client VG and thus deleted it. I.e. there is no client LPAR using the VIO VG. Yet when I try to reducevg the VIO VG, it complains that the LV hosted on the PV is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
2 Replies
vxdarestore(1M) 														   vxdarestore(1M)

NAME
vxdarestore - restore simple or nopriv disk access records SYNOPSIS
/etc/vx/bin/vxdarestore DESCRIPTION
The vxdarestore utility is used to restore persistent simple or nopriv disk access (da) records that have failed due to changing the naming scheme used by vxconfigd from c#t#d#-based to enclosure-based. The use of vxdarestore is required if you use the vxdiskadm command to change from the c#t#d#-based to the enclosure-based naming scheme. As a result, some existing persistent simple or nopriv disks go into the "error" state and the VxVM objects on those disks fail. vxdarestore may be used to restore the disk access records that have failed. The utility also recovers the VxVM objects on the failed disk access records. Note: vxdarestore may only be run when vxconfigd is using the enclosure-based naming scheme. Note: You can use the command vxdisk list da_name to discover whether a disk access record is persistent. The record is non-persistent if the flags field includes the flag autoconfig; otherwise it is persistent. The following sections describe how to use the vxdarestore utility under various conditions. Persistent Simple/Nopriv Disks in the rootdg Disk Group If all persistent simple or nopriv disks in the rootdg disk group go into the "error" state, use the following procedure: 1. Use the vxdiskadm command to change back to the c#t#d# based naming scheme. 2. Either shut down and reboot the host, or run the following command: vxconfigd -kr reset 3. If you want to use the enclosure-based naming scheme, add a non-persistent simple disk to the rootdg disk group, use vxdiskadm to change to the enclosure-based naming scheme, and then run vxdarestore. Note: If not all the disks in rootdg go into the error state, simply running vxdarestore restores those disks in the error state and the objects that that they contain. Persistent Simple/Nopriv Disks in Disk Groups other than rootdg If all disk access records in an imported disk group consist only of persistent simple and/or nopriv disks, the disk group is put in the "online dgdisabled" state after changing to the enclosure-based naming scheme. For such disk groups, perform the following steps: 1. Deport the disk group using the following command: vxdg deport diskgroup 2. Run the vxdarestore command. 3. Re-import the disk group using the following command: vxdg import diskgroup NOTES
Use of the vxdarestore command is not required in the following cases: o If there are no persistent simple or nopriv disk access records on an HP-UX host. o If all devices on which simple or nopriv disks are present are not automatically configurable by VxVM. For example, third-party drivers export devices that are not automatically configured by VxVM. VxVM objects on simple/nopriv disks created from such disks are not affected by switching to the enclosure based naming scheme. The vxdarestore command does not handle the following cases: o If the enclosure-based naming scheme is in use and the vxdmpadm command is used to change the name of an enclosure, the disk access names of all devices in that enclosure are also changed. As a result, any persistent simple/nopriv disks in the enclosure are put into the "error" state, and VxVM objects configured on those disks fail. o If the enclosure-based naming scheme is in use and the system is rebooted after making hardware configuration changes to the host. This may change the disk access names and cause some persistent simple/nopriv disks to be put into the "error" state. o If the enclosure-based naming scheme is in use, the device discovery layer claims some disks under the JBOD category, and the vxdd- ladm rmjbod command is used to remove remove support for the JBOD category for disks from a particular vendor. As a result of the consequent name change, disks with persistent disk access records are put into the "error" state, and VxVM objects configured on those disks fail. EXIT CODES
A zero exit status is returned if the operation is successful or if no actions were necessary. An exit status of 1 is returned if vxdare- store is run while vxconfigd is using the c#t#d# naming scheme. An exit status of 2 is returned if vxconfigd is not running. SEE ALSO
vxconfigd(1M), vxdg(1M), vxdisk(1M), vxdiskadm(1M), vxdmpadm(1M), vxintro(1M), vxreattach(1M), vxrecover(1M) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxdarestore(1M)