Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Inherited VIO server an LPARs Post 302494003 by rbatte1 on Friday 4th of February 2011 12:48:24 PM
Old 02-04-2011
That would be wonderful if there was an easy conversion path away from a single VIO server. I have what I have been given.

Should I be looking to unmirror the VIO rootvg, release the disk and then find a way to create another LPAR with dedicated access to the now spare disk? I'm afraid there has been no training and very lttle documentation on VIO.

I have a sinking feeling that you are going to tell me that there should be 2 VIO servers as hardware items segragated from the LPARs somehow. I'[ve tried the IBM website but it's either nothing or Ijust get swamped. I'm obviously not phrasing the search very well.

Given I have one p520 and four internal disks, what am I looking at?

Help! Smilie

Apologies if I'm being stupid and missing something obvious. Smilie

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Inherited server - need help

I have inherited admin duties on an old server running SCO Open Server 5. No changes have been made to this thing for a very long time. The server has started randomly disconnecting itself from the network. I have to reboot the server to get it to find the network again. It happens about once a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmickens
3 Replies

2. AIX

Virtual Ethernet VIO HMC LPARs

Hi, I am little confused about the virtual Ethernet configuration on VIO and Client Partitions. There is alot of info on the internet but it gets more confusing.... If I have LHEA, it is very simple. Just assign LHEA (logical host ethernet adapter) to client partition -> run smitty tcpip and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
10 Replies

3. AIX

vio server and vio client

Hi, I want to know wheather partition size for installation of vio client can be specified on vio server example If I am installing vio server on blade with 2*300gb hard disk,after that I want to create 2 vio client (AIX Operating system) wheather I can specify hard disk size while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

4. AIX

Identifying the vio server names

Hi My vio client is getting its virtual Ethernet services from dual vio servers. What command if I execute on the vio client will get me the names of the vio servers ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies

5. AIX

VIO server on p520

trying to put VIO server software into this p520, firmware upgraded to the latest and greatest..SF240_415_318 , I think a few questions, on this practice AIX machine on AIX 7.1 VIO can only be installed if ASMI or HMC is running ??? if so, perhaps ASMI is much simpler, since I will need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies

6. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

7. AIX

Mirroring vio server

Hi, I would like to know installing vio server on local disk and mirroring rootvg, if I am creating AIX VIO CLIENT(lpar), and any of single local hard disk failuare. will it affect lpars? will lpars able to boot. what needs to be done? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

8. AIX

VIO Server

Hi, I am facing an issue in vio server. When I run bosboot -ad /dev/hdisk0 I am getting an error trustchk: Verification of attributes failed: /usr/sbin/bootinfo : accessauths regards, vjm Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to identify the blade from VIO server?

Hello, I would like to identify the blade or/and bladecenter from the hosted VIO server. I prefer the "command line" solution. May be kdb. Like, I want to ask the child about his father. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x41
1 Replies

10. AIX

Need to replace a broken PV in a VIO VG used for client LPARs (and it won't release the old one)

I have a broken PV in a VIO VG that's used to support client LPARs using LVs. On the client LPAR, I reduced all PVs from the relevant client VG and thus deleted it. I.e. there is no client LPAR using the VIO VG. Yet when I try to reducevg the VIO VG, it complains that the LV hosted on the PV is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
2 Replies
vxpfto(1M)																vxpfto(1M)

NAME
vxpfto - set Powerfail Timeout (pfto) SYNOPSIS
vxpfto -g diskgroup -t timeout vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -t timeout volume_list vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} vxpfto [-g diskgroup] -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} volume_list DESCRIPTION
Powerfail Timeout is an attribute of a SCSI disk connected to an HP-UX host (see the pfto(7) man page). The vxpfto command sets the Power- fail Timeout interval on a set of Volume Manager disks, either all disks in a disk group, or all disks underlying the volumes listed. The first form of the command sets the same PFTO value for all the disks in the specified VxVM diskgroup. In the second form, all disks underlying the given list of volumes are selected, optionally restricted by the disk group specified with the -g option. If you specify a diskgroup, any volume in the list not belonging to the diskgroup is ignored. Use the -o pftostate option to disable or enable PFTO. By default, PFTO is enabled. You can enable PFTO either on all disks in a disk group, or on all disks underlying the volumes listed. If you invoke vxpfto without arguments, it displays a usage message. OPTIONS
-g diskgroup Specifies the disk group for the operation, either by disk group ID or by disk group name. -o pftostate={enabled|disabled} Enables or disables the use of PFTO for IO. -t timeout Specifies the PFTO value in seconds. The value must be zero or a positive integer. Zero represents the system default PFTO value. The default value depends on the disk driver controlling the disk device. volume_list A list of VxVM volume names. List items must be separated by white-space. EXIT CODES
vxpfto returns a zero if successful. If it encounters an error, vxpfto exits and displays a message on standard error. Defined exit codes are: 0 Success. 1 No PFTO value specified. 2 No diskgroup or volume list specified. 3 Illegal PFTO value specified. EXAMPLES
Set the PFTO value on all disks in disk group testdg to 100 seconds: vxpfto -t 100 -g testdg Set the PFTO value to 50 seconds on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02 in disk group testdg: vxpfto -t 50 -g testdg volume01 volume02 Set the PFTO value to 300 seconds on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02, even though they are not in the same disk group: vxpfto -t 300 volume01 volume02 Disable PFTO on all disks in disk group testdg: vxpfto -g testdg -o pftostate=disabled Enable PFTO on all disks underlying volume01 and volume02i in disk group testdg: vxpfto -g testdg -o pftostate=enabled volume01 volume02 SEE ALSO
vxdisk(1M), pfto(7) VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxpfto(1M)