Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rsync doesn't copy aliases fully Post 302493977 by lazybaer on Friday 4th of February 2011 11:20:09 AM
Old 02-04-2011
i mean the normal osx aliases (right click ...)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Using RSYNC to copy files locally

Has anyone ever used rsync to copy files locally on one server? (in this case from one SAN volume to another). I am familiar with using rsync to copy files between servers, but not locally, I would usually use cp or or tar or something. Is rsync slower? Does it use additional overhead of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

scp : recursive copy doesn't work

Hi I have a problem with scp command : I try to copy a list of files from source to destination, it works fine but if there is a directory not existing on destination, it doesn't automatic create. Syntax : scp -rp /<PATH>/<NEW_DIR>/<FILE> <USER_DEST>@<HOST_DEST>:<PATH>/<NEW_DIR>/<FILE>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rsync with --link-dest doesn't create hard links

I have been experimenting with rsync as a scriptable backup option, reading various example and tips pages, including Time Machine for every Unix out there - IMHO That page seems to describe the exact behavior I want: The ability to make a "full backup" snapshot regularly, but with rsync... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fitzwilliam
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync copy files once

Hi This is my situation I have files on the left which I want to copy to the right. Once the files are copied to the right, they are processed and then deleted. The next time rsync runs I dont want it to copy the same files again, it should only copy any new files to the right. I have been... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: duonut
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Using remote rsync, but copy locally?

I'm looking to use rsync to compare remote files and to copy the diff to a local directory, rather than transfer over the net. The net connection is not fast enough to transfer these files (~1.8TB) and I'd like to sneakernet them instead. Possible? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfbills
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rsync copy files if dont exist

I have a setup where I have two drives. TV TVbackup For what ever reason, I have a lot of content on my TVbackup drive which isn't on my TV drive. I want to copy all the files across which are on TVbackup but are not currently on TV. If there is a file with the same name but a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Spadez
2 Replies

7. SCO

Rsync sometimes fails to copy

Hello I tried rsync (version 3.0.7) on OpenServer 5.0.7. Compile the version of samba.org and use of aljex.com. Both versions do not work reliably, sometimes show errors and stop copying (sometimes works) The OSR5.0.7 I'm using VirtualBox, I do not think the problem is in virtualization, but... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: flako
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync in bash script doesn't work even after placing pub key in target server

Hello Friends, My bash script is like this #!/bin/bash # request Bourne shell as shell for job #$ -S /bin/bash # assume current working directory as paths #$ -cwd #$ -N rsync-copy # # print date and time date rsync -rltD --progress "ssh -i /home/myname/.ssh/id_rsa"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Rsync added new folders after copy?

Hi guys, Don't really know much about unix or anything, just starting to mess around a little bit to have more understanding in general. So, I tried using rsync to copy my macbook pro backup/clone from an external drive I have to another external drive. I ended up using... "sudo rsync -a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cbjeebs
1 Replies

10. Ubuntu

Rsync - not copy certain files

I use this rsync --progress -r -u /media/andy/MAXTOR_SDB1/Ubuntu_Mate_18.04/* /home/andy/Ubuntu_18.04_Programs/Is there a way to have it not copy files such as these? 2019-02-25_11:04 I found this but can not figure out what it's doing. 3. Exclude a specific file To exclude a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
5 Replies
slack(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  slack(8)

NAME
slack - Sysadmin's lazy autoconfiguration kit SYNOPSIS
slack [option ...] [role ...] DESCRIPTION
slack is a master command which coordinates the activities of its backends, which variously: o determine the list of roles to be installed on this server o create a local cached copy of the role files from the central repository o merge file trees from subroles into a single, unified tree o install files onto the local filesystem o run scripts before and after installation Options you give to slack will be generally passed along to the backends where relevant. OPTIONS
-h, --help Print a usage statement. --version Print the version and exit. -v, --verbose Increase verbosity. Can be specified multiple times. --quiet Don't be verbose (Overrides previous uses of --verbose). -C, --config FILE Use the specfied FILE for configuration instead of the default, /etc/slack.conf. -s, --source DIR Source directory for slack files -e, --rsh COMMAND Remote shell for rsync -c, --cache DIR Local cache directory for slack files -t, --stage DIR Local staging directory for slack files -r, --root DIR Root destination for slack files --no-sync Skip the slack-sync step (useful if you're pushing stuff into the CACHE outside slack). --no-files Don't install any files in ROOT, but tell rsync to print what it would do. --no-scripts Don't run scripts -n, --dry-run Same as --no-files --no-scripts (CACHE, STAGE will still be updated) --role-list Role list for slack-getroles(8). -b, --backup Make backups of existing files in ROOT that are overwritten. This option defaults to on if it is not set to 0 in a config file or disabled with --nobackup on the command line. --backup-dir Put backups from the --backup option into this directory. -H, --hostname HOST Pretend to be running on HOST, instead of the name given by gethostname(2). --preview MODE Do a diff of scripts and files before running them. MODE can be one of 'simple' or 'prompt' (See PREVIEW MODES, below). --diff PROG Use this diff program for previews. --sleep TIME Randomly sleep between 1 and TIME seconds before starting operations. Useful in crontabs. PREVIEW MODES
Preview functionality is new in slack 0.14.0. I haven't quite worked out how things will work, so this usage is somewhat subject to change in future versions. I thought I would try it this way and see how people like it. In 'simple' mode, after syncing and staging the files directory, slack will present a diff of the files and scripts. In this mode, slack will not run the preinstall or fixfiles scripts, and because of this, it may provide some false output about permissions changes to files. In 'prompt' mode, after syncing and staging the files directory, slack will diff the script directory. If there are differences, slack will present them to you and ask you if you want to continue. If you say no, it will exit. If you say yes, it will stage the scripts directory, run the preinstall and fixfiles scripts, and then diff the files in the stage with those in the root. If there are differences, slack will present them to you and ask you if you want to continue. If you say no, it will exit. If you say yes, it will install the files and run the postinstall script. So, the 'simple' mode is easy to use, and will be accurate if you don't use fixfiles. The 'prompt' mode will be accurate if you use fix- files, but requires some interaction. Why can't we just have one mode that works with fixfiles and requires no interaction? Well, that would require slack to understand what your free-form fixfiles executable was going to do, which would either require some kind of universe simulator or would require you to write your fixfiles in a less free-form way, which would make slack less like slack. EXAMPLES
To install all the roles configured in the role list for a server: slack To install a specific role: slack rolename To test a new role before checking in the changes: slack --source user@workstation:/home/user/.../slack rolename To avoid killing your master server when calling from cron: slack --sleep 3600 FILES
/etc/slack.conf SEE ALSO
slack.conf(5), rsync(1) Administrative commands 2004-10-22 slack(8)