Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Toggle Flag/Switch Value with Sed Post 302493962 by bsquared on Friday 4th of February 2011 10:25:18 AM
Old 02-04-2011
@ghostdog, I was really looking for that specific sed one liner. I was pulling out my hair trying to remember. Thanks for helping.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to toggle BACKSPACE/DEL function for backArrow key for terminal other than xterm?

Hi all, I've got the problem which I can't resolve with my knowledge :) For xterm terminal we have resource class XTerm*backarrowKey. If we set it to true, backspace code (ASCII 0x8) will be sent to program. We can get it using e.g. getc() function. If it is disabled getc() returns DEL(0x7F). ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmitryb
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Toggle Hidden Files Mac OS X

Hi all, I have been using Ubuntu for 2 years now, and a few days ago I bought a Macbook. This is my first time using a Mac, so I have spent the better of two days learning the user interface, and configuring my Macbook. One thing I noticed is that there is no easy way to turn on and off hidden... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Omniwheel
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to toggle through dates by week

Hi, I need help to toggle through dates on a weekly basis to be fed into a script as inputs. The format should be: yyyy/mm/dd (start) yyyy/mm/dd (end), where end date is 7 days increments. The date (start) would be input as an ARGV and would continue until current date. I can check... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhap
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

pass variable to sed like in awk (-v switch)

hi all is possible to pass shell (bash) variable to sed like it is in awk? example: awk script is storred in awk.awk file and I am passing variable called var to this file. $ cat awk.awk {if ($5==var) print $0} so it works when i issue $ bash_var=24 $ ls -l | awk -v... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wakatana
1 Replies

5. Programming

toggle bit

how can I toggle all the bits of any given number using a shortest C code (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the switch to let sed edit and save file

I remember there is a sed switch i can use to edit and save the file at the same time, but i cannot recall it at all. so instead of -> sed 's/A/B/' file > file-tmp -> mv file-tmp file what can i do to just let sed edit and save the "file" (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed "-n" switch

Hi Guys, i'm exploring sed and failed to understand the following. Can anyone with more knowledge of this explain this better. I have to read lines 4 to 6 in a file so i used the following command : sed '4,6 p' file but the above prints all lines instead! . when i use the -n... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Irishboy24
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved]Can anyone tell me why -H flag with sudo doesn't switch to the target user's home directory?

I have checked the man page ,which says : The -H (HOME) option sets the HOME environment variable to the homedir of the target user (root by default) as specified in passwd(5). By default, sudo does not modify HOME But I have tried below command: #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Michaelw321
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print flag

I have an input file that looks something like this: .... key1: ABC .... key2: DEF .... key1: GGG .... key2: HHH .... The row of dots represents any number of lines that don't contain the strings "key1:" or "key2:" The strings key1: and key2: will always appear alternately as in the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmennen
8 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)