Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Beginner: Count & Sort Using Array's Post 302493953 by BigTOE on Friday 4th of February 2011 10:01:43 AM
Old 02-04-2011
Beginner: Count & Sort Using Array's

Hi,

I'm new to linux & bash so please forgive my ignorance, just wondering if anyone can help.

I have a file (mainfile.txt) with comma deliminated values, like so:
Code:

$1  $2  $3
613212, 36, 57
613212, 36, 10
613212, 36, 10
677774, 36, 57
619900, 10, 10

i need to split this file into two files. Any entries where the first number ($1) is in more than once needs to go in file1.txt. Any entries that only occur once need to go into file2.txt, like so:

File1.txt
Code:
613212, 36, 57
613212, 36, 10
613212, 36, 10

File2.txt
Code:
677774, 36, 57
619900, 10, 10

Any solution to this problem would be greatly appreciated, no matter how implemented.

however, i would like to get experience using arrays so a solution incorporating them would be fantastic. i've experimented with them, like this, but cant get my head around them.
Code:
awk ' { arr[$0]++ } END { for( str in arr  ) { if ( arr[str] = 1 ) print str " " arr[str] } } ' /directory/mainfile.txt | >/directory/file1.txt

awk ' { arr[$0]++ } END { for( str in arr  ) { if ( arr[str] > 1 ) print str " " arr[str] } } ' /directory/mainfile.txt | >/directory/file2.txt

It's a botch job and not surprisingly doesnt work. even if it did, how do i specify $1 and only $1 as the thing to look at, instead of a string?

Cheers,

IanSmilie

Last edited by Scott; 02-04-2011 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort and count using AWK

Hi, I've a fixed width file where I need to count the number of patterns from each line between characters 1 to 15 . so can we sort them and get a count for each pattern on the file between 1 to 15 characters. 65795648617522383763831552 410828003265795648 6175223837... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to sort by count

Hello! I have a file with 4 columns. I am trying to have it sort first with respect to the first column, and then with respect to the number of counts (in descending count) in the second column within the same first column identity. For example: Input: 1 2 A 1 1 6 B 2 2 5 G 7 1 6 D 4 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anchuz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sort with respect to count

Hello! I have a file with 4 columns. I am trying to have it sort first with respect to the first column, and then with respect to the number of counts (in descending count) in the second column within the same first column identity. For example: Input: 1 2 A 1 1 6 B 2 2 5 G 7 1 6 D 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anchuz
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort a the file & refine data column & row format

cat file1.txt field1 "user1": field2:"data-cde" field3:"data-pqr" field4:"data-mno" field1 "user1": field2:"data-dcb" field3:"data-mxz" field4:"data-zul" field1 "user2": field2:"data-cqz" field3:"data-xoq" field4:"data-pos" Now i need to have the date like below. i have just... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckaramsetty
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Beginner's questions] Filename Validation & Parsing

Hi !! I'm rather new both to the UNIX and scripting worlds, and I'm learning the ropes of scripting. Having said this, please excuse me if you notice certain basic errors. I'm working on a script that implements .jar and .war files for a WAS environment and I need to perform certain... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: levaldez
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Count and Array Copy help

Hi all, I have the code as below " echo "File carried list after 1st loop "${fileStreamAssiagnInit}"" and I have the out put for the above code as below : Output : File carried list after 1st loop abcInd.csv sdgUS.csv sopSing.csv Here i want to count the number of elements in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balasankar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Move & Sort by Name - Kick out Bad File Names & More

I have a dilemma, we have users who are copying files to "directory 1." These images have file names which include the year it was taken. I need to put together a script to do the following: Examine the file naming convention, ensuring it's the proper format (e.g. test-1983_filename-123.tif)... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nvizn
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Difference of Sort -n -k2 -k3 & Sort -n -k2,3

Hi, Could anyone kindly show me a link or explain the difference between sort -n -k2 -k3 & sort -n -k2,3 Also, if I like to remove the row with repetition at both $2 and $3, Can I safely use sort -u -k2 -k3 Example; 100 20 30 100 20 30 So, both $2 and $3 are same and I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Indra2011
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort multidimensional Array

Hello I have a problem. I create a Multidimensional Array Like this: ENTRY="$kunnum-$host" ENTRY="$host" ENTRY="# $3" for key in "${!ENTRY}"; do ENTRIES=${ENTRY} # INDEX=IP(5) donedeclare -p declare -A ENTRIES=(="unas15533" ="unas" ="# RDP-Terminal 2"... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marti95
12 Replies

10. Solaris

Connection Logging in Solaris 10 & 11 - Beginner

Excuse my ignorance as I am very new to working with Solaris. I'm looking for documentation on how to create a network log in Solaris 10 & 11. I don't wish to edit any of the logs currently the system. I simply want a log that will capture all incoming IP addresses and log them with a time-in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: FamousAv8er
8 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)