Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting remove characters from string based on occurrence of a string Post 302493793 by yinyuemi on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 05:23:45 PM
Old 02-03-2011
Code:
sed 's/\(.*_vw_\)\(.*\)/\2/' urfile

This User Gave Thanks to yinyuemi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove special characters from string

Hi there, I'd like to write a script that removes any set of character from any string. The first argument would be the string, the second argument would be the characters to remove. For example: $ myscript "My name's Santiago. What's yours?" "atu" My nme's Snigo. Wh's yors? I wrote the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to remove characters from a string

Hi. for the following line: Var1=${Array} now Array has text as "{hello there}" how do I remove the {} brackets before assigning the string to Var1? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadow_boi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove last 4 characters from a string

I'm tring to remove the last 4 characters from strings in a file i.e. cat /tmp/test iwishicouldremovethis icouldremovethos so i would end up with the last 4 characters from each of the above i.e. this thos I thought of using cut -c ... but I'm not sure how many characters will... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: josslate
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove characters from string

Hi I am new in shell scripting and i want to manipulate a string. I have a string tha looks like: /home/nteath/file.txt I want to remove everything until the last "/" , to keep only the filename. e.g. /home/nteath/file.txt output: file.txt Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nteath
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove string between two special characters

Hi All, I have a variable like AVAIL="\ BACK:bkpstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:backtest|\ #AUTH:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ TEST:authstg:testdb3.iad.expertcity.com:authiapd|\ " What I want to do here is that If a find # before any entry, remove the entire string... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: engineermayur
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

counting occurrence of characters in a string

Hello, I have a string like this 0:1:2:0:2:2:4:0:0:0:-200:500...... what i want is to break down how many different characters are there and their count. For example for above string it should display 0 - 5 times 1 - 1 times 2 - 3 times 4 - 1 times . . . I am stuck in writing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: exit86
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string

here is what i want to achieve... consider a file contains below contents. the file size is large about 60mb cat dump.sql INSERT INTO `table1` (`id`, `action`, `date`, `descrip`, `lastModified`) VALUES (1,'Change','2011-05-05 00:00:00','Account Updated','2012-02-10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove some special characters in a string?

Hi, I have string like this ="Lookup Procedure" But i want the output like this Lookup Procedure =," should be removed. Please suggest me the solution. Regards, Madhuri (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srimadhuri
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove last occurrence of character (_) and rest of the string in UNIX (sed)

Hi I need help on this ..!! Input : xx_abc_regA xx_def_regB xx_qwe_regC Now i required the output as the below abc def qwe Need to remove last occurrence of character (_) and rest of the string in Unix (sed). Thanks in Advance ..!!! -Nallachand (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nallachand
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count occurrence of string (based on type) in a column using awk

Hello, I have a table that looks like what is shown below: AA BB CC XY PQ RS AA BB CC XY RS I would like the total counts depending on the set they belong to: if search pattern is in {AA, BB, CC} --> count them as Type1 | wc -l (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gussifinknottle
3 Replies
IRSEND(1)								FSF								 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.8.7pre1 May 2010 IRSEND(1)