Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash assign string to variable Post 302493740 by cfajohnson on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 02:49:03 PM
Old 02-03-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog74
Whatever it is, the OP did not say he wants or not to do POSIX mode. The title also specifically said "Bash".
Using "let" the way he uses it is not "wrong" either, since its supported in Bash, (although I do agree it's not necessary.)

The way he used it is wrong. He was using it to assign a string.

In any case, I do not recommend bad practices to people just learning the shell. One may be using bash now, but in the future may have to use a shell that doesn't support let in any context. If it added something to the script, there would be some justification for it, but it doesn't.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign variable from a string having blanks in between

Hi All, I am new to bash scripting. I need your help to removing spaces from a string and assign them to different variables. Iwant to call script with one command line argument which is file name which containes different attributes their type and different values eg ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: flextronics
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

read and assign each character from the string to a variable

How... can I read input by a user character by cahracter. And assign each character from the string to a variable? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Tek-E
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign bash command to variable

Hi I am trying to write a function that needs to be able to assign the last run shell command to a variable. The actual command string itself not the exit code of the command. I am using the bash command recall ability to do this as follows: alias pb='ps | grep ash' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Moxy
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk output to bash variable

greetings all, I am have a heck of a time trying to accomplish a very simple thing. I have an array of "shortname<spaces>id" created from a dscl output. I want to assign shortname=word1 and id=word2. I have tried shortname=$(${textArray} | awk '{print $1}') - and get 'awk : cannot open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash assign mysql query single field to variable

I'm running a bash script query and assigning the output to a variable like this: exists=`mysql -u $USER_NAME --password=$PASSWORD -D "somedb" \ -e "SELECT * FROM somedb.sometable WHERE field1 ='$a' \ AND field2 ='$b' LIMIT 0 , 30";` which returns something like: echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to assign a string to a variable

Hello Experts, In my script i am using the below syntax /usr/bin/head -1 /opt/chumma.txt | /usr/bin/cut -d " " -f3 output of this one is --> Monday I want to store this String in a variable (i.e) j or k... Give me some idea experts. Thanks in advance. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: natraj005
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable the nth character of a string.

I see a millioin ways to do this with echo, but what I wan to do is assign a variable the "nth" character of an incoming parameter to a ksh script. $1 will be "pia" I need to assign the first character to stmttype. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: klarue
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign variables to CSV string (bash)

Hi guys, New to the forum, and been messing around with Linux for about a year now. I'm still very much a rookie, so just assume that I'm a total idiot: I currently have a shell that spits out a CSV number string of about 8 numbers as follows: 1.00,2.00,3.00 ... ,8.00I need to assign a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hansol
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I assign the output of a command to a variable within a loop in bash?

In the else of the main if condition . else set lnk = $(readlink -f <path> | cut -d '/' -f7) echo "$lnk" if ] When I run the above on command line , the execution seems to be fine and I get the desired output. But when I try to assign it to a variable within a loop... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sankasu
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Using read to assign value to bash variable not working

Hi, I am attempting to assign the output of the following command, to two bash variables, var1 and var2 using "read," but it doesn't seem to be working. # openstack hypervisor stats show | awk -F'|' 'NR==14{print $2,$3}' vcpus 92 # echo $? 0 # openstack hypervisor... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sand1234
4 Replies
SYSSTAT(5)							Linux User's Manual							SYSSTAT(5)

NAME
sysstat - sysstat configuration file. DESCRIPTION
This file is read by sa1(8) and sa2(8) shell scripts from the sysstat's set of tools. It consists of a sequence of shell variable assign- ments used to configure sysstat logging. The variables and their meanings are: HISTORY The number of days during which a daily data file or a report should be kept. Data files or reports older than this number of days will be removed by the sa2(8) shell script. COMPRESSAFTER Number of days after which daily data files are to be compressed, either by gzip or bzip2. SADC_OPTIONS Options that should be passed to sadc(8). With these options (see sadc(8) manual page), you can select some additional data which are going to be saved in daily data files. These options are used only when a new data file is created. They will be ignored with an already existing one. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/sysstat AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard (sysstat <at> orange.fr) SEE ALSO
sadc(8), sa1(8), sa2(8) http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux SEPTEMBER 2010 SYSSTAT(5)