Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers User creation (with only read only access) Post 302493541 by rajesh_pola on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 03:54:15 AM
Old 02-03-2011
give only read and execute access by using 755.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to read i-node informations (date of creation)

Hi, I'm looking for a way to get the date of creation for a file. Is it possible ? I know that these informations are in the i-node but I don't know how to access them (if the 'find' command can do it with option -ctime, I have reasons to believe in it). Thanks for helping me ! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mullmafr
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

user & group read/write access question

folks; I created a new users on my SUSE box and i need to give this user/group a read write access to one specific folder. here's the details: - I created new user "funny" under group "users". - I need to give this user "funny" a read/write access to another directory that is owned by "root".... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katkota
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

User creation

Hi Thanks in advance. How to create a user without useradd command ?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krish4linux
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Need help with user creation

Hello guys, i have a problem where i cant create a user and here some problem that i encounter. 1. /etc/passwd seems locked. 2. getting this error UX: useradd: ERROR: Cannot update system files - login cannot be created. # useradd -u 47367 -g 1084 -c "user123" -d /local/home/user123 -s... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: brew
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

To create user name with read only access

hi, how to create user name with read only access. i think first need to create group with read only access after that i need to create the user and assign it to that group. If it is correct, how to create user with read only access? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsivasan
4 Replies

6. AIX

User creation

hi seniors i want to create the users like when the user try to login it should not should not promt for passwd is it possible to create users like this please help me (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: senmak
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File creation with default access

Hi, I want to create files and directories with below access control System. AIX File should have 664 permission Directories should have 755 Can you please let me know how to achieve this? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: balasubramani04
3 Replies

8. Solaris

samba read write access to owner and no access to other users

Hi All, I want to configure samba share permission so that only directory creator/owner has a read and write permission and other users should not have any read/write access to that folder.Will that be possible and how can this be achieved within samba configuration. Regards, Sahil (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sahil_shine
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read files by Server Creation date wise?

Hi All, I would have many files in the server with xyz*.dat -- Static file name Physical files: xyz1.dat - 01PM xyz2.dat - 02PM xyz3.dat - 03PM In present version we are using for f in $file_name do fname=`ls $f | grep -v ^'\|'$ | sed s/' '/'\\ '/g` .... sqlldr... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dharv
4 Replies
mkproto(8)							    Unsupported 							mkproto(8)

Name
       mkproto - construct a prototype file system

Syntax
       /etc/mkproto special proto

Description
       The  command  is used to bootstrap a new file system.  First a new file system is created using The command is then used to copy files from
       the old file system into the new file system according to the directions found in the prototype file proto.  The  prototype  file  contains
       tokens  separated by spaces or new lines.  The first tokens comprise the specification for the root directory.  File specifications consist
       of tokens giving the mode, the user-id, the group id, and the initial contents of the file.  The syntax of the contents	field  depends	on
       the mode.

The mode token for a file is a 6 character string.  The first character specifies the type of the file.	(The characters -bcd specify regu-
       lar, block special, character special and directory files respectively.)  The second character of the type is either u or - to specify set-
       user-id	mode or not.  The third is g or - for the set-group-id mode.  The rest of the mode is a three digit octal number giving the owner,
       group, and other read, write, execute permissions.  See

Two decimal number tokens come after the mode; they specify the user and group ID's of the owner of the file.

If the file is a regular file, the next token is a pathname whence the contents and size are copied.

If the file is a block or character special file, two decimal number tokens follow which give the major and minor device numbers.

If the file is a directory, makes the entries .	and ..	and then reads a list of names	and  (recursively)  file  specifications  for  the
       entries in the directory.  The scan is terminated with the token $.

A sample prototype specification follows:

d--777 3 1
       usr  d--777 3 1
	    sh	 ---755 3 1 /bin/sh
	    ken  d--755 6 1
		 $
	    b0	 b--644 3 1 0 0
	    c0	 c--644 3 1 0 0
	    $
       $

Restrictions
       You can only run on virgin file systems.  It should be possible to copy files into existent file systems.

See Also
       dir(5), fs(5), fsck(8), newfs(8)

mkproto(8)