Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users regular expression for split function in perl Post 302493503 by jghoshal on Thursday 3rd of February 2011 12:49:30 AM
Old 02-03-2011
regular expression for split function in perl

Hi,

Below is an example of a record I have, which I wish to split using the perl's split function and load it into an array. I am having tough time figuring out the exact reg-ex to perform the split.

Given record:
Code:
"a","xyz",0,2,48,"abcd","lmno,pqrR, stv",300,"abc",20,

The delimiter to uniquely identify each field is "," (comma). The quotation marks represents a string and the non-quotation marks represents integers.

The problem with this record is such that, a string which is represented within the quotation marks has "," (commas) (example this "lmno,pqrR, stv") in it, which should not be identified as a field, because the comma resides within the quotation marks.

Therefore, I would like to build a reg-ex within the split function which will basically follow the either of the below algorithms:

Algo A:
split (/\,|dont split if there is [:alpha:]\,[:alpha:]|dont split if there is [:alpha:]\,|dont split if there is ,[:alpha:]/, $givenrec)

--------------OR---------------

Algo B:
split a field if the starting and ending character of that field is " (for strings) OR none (for integers)

I really appreciate the help in advance.

Please let me know if you require any further explanations.

Thus the result should be: That is retaining the quotation marks as well, since its string.
Code:
"a"
"xyz"
"abcd"
"lmno,pqrR, stv"
"abc"

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags when posting data and code samples.

Last edited by Franklin52; 02-03-2011 at 03:12 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression help in perl

Hi all, I am trying to match a multi line string and return the matching string in one line. Here is the perl code that I wrote: #!/usr/bin/perl my $str='<title>My title</title>'; if ($str =~ /(<title>)(+)(<\/title>)/ ){ print "$2\n"; } It returns : My title I want the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdubey
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regular expression in perl

hi, i want to extract the sessionID from this line. QnA Session Id : here the output should be-- QnA_SessionID=128589 Thanks NT (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: namishtiwari
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl regular expression

Dear all, I have a simple issue on a perl regular expression. I want to get the characters in red from the next lines : POWER_key LEFT_key RIGHT_key OK_key DOWN_key and so on... Thanks in advance for reply. Ludo (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lsaas
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need perl regular expression

Hi, I am looking for a Perl regular expression to match the below pattern of a java script file. var so = object.device.load('camera','value'); I want to grep out such lines present in the *.js files. The conditions are: a) the line may start with blank space(s) b) always the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Grep function regular expression

For some reason, @logs is a list of log files @filter is a list of expressions to grep out foreach (@logs){ open READ, "<$_" or die $!; @temp=<READ>; close READ; foreach (@filter){ print grep /$_/,@temp ; } } returns a regex error in one of the files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Hidden Characters in Regular Expression Matching Perl - Perl Newbie

I am completely new to perl programming. My father is helping me learn said programming language. However, I am stuck on one of the assignments he has given me, and I can't find very much help with it via google, either because I have a tiny attention span, or because I can be very very dense. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kittyluva2
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expression help!

Hi I am doing something basic like... if ($stringvariable =~ /have not typed/) I have a little problem because the 'not' in the expression gets highlighted as a kind of a '!'..what am I supposed to do in this situation? Thank you ---------- Post updated at 03:24 PM ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vas28r13
1 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl regular expression

Hi , I have the below array my @actionText = ("delivered to governor on 21/23/3345" , "deliver jllj" , "ram 2345/43"); When i am trying to grep the contents of array and if mathced substituting with the digitis or some date format from the element like below my @action = grep { $_ =~... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragilla
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split match regular expression with or

I cannot seem to get this to work correct: my ($k, $v) = split(/F/, $fc{$DIR}{symbolic}, 2); Below is the input (the $fc{$DIR}{symbolic} variable): QMH2562 FW:v5.06.03 DVR:v8.03.07.15.05.09-kbut i also need it to break on FV: Emulex NC553i FV4.2.401.6 DV8.3.5.86.2pthe code above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rusted_planet
2 Replies
SPLIT(1)						      General Commands Manual							  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split - split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split [ option ... ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Split reads file (standard input by default) and writes it in pieces of 1000 lines per output file. The names of the output files are xaa, xab, and so on to xzz. The options are -n Split into n-line pieces. -e expression File divisions occur at each line that matches a regular expression; see regexp(6). Multiple -e options may appear. If a subex- pression of expression is contained in parentheses (...), the output file name is the portion of the line which matches the subex- pression. -f stem Use stem instead of x in output file names. -s suffix Append suffix to names identified under -e. -x Exclude the matched input line from the output file. -i Ignore case in option -e; force output file names (excluding the suffix) to lower case. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/split.c SEE ALSO
sed(1), awk(1) grep(1), regexp(6) SPLIT(1)