Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add text at the end of line conditionally Post 302493370 by angshuman on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 01:31:04 PM
Old 02-02-2011
Add text at the end of line conditionally

Hi All,

I have a file as below:

Code:
cat myfile

abcdef
NA
rwer
tyujkl
na

I wish to add the text ".txt" at the end of all lines except the lines starting with NA or na.

I know i can add text at the end of line using following command but I am not sure how to valiate the condition.

Code:
sed 's/$/\.txt/g' myfile >temp
mv temp myfile

Can any one help me on how to achieve this? Your help is highly appreciated.

Regards
Angshuman

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

adding text to end of each line in a file

I'm needing to add a "hour:min" to the end of each line in a document. The document in this case is only going to be one line. if this inserts it at the end, what needs to be changed to add something at the end... /bin/echo "%s/^/$filler/g\nwq!" | ex -s $oFile Thank you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cubs0729
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

add text to end of text file

Hi, I assume there is a simple solution, but as usual i can't find it! How can i add a line of text to the end of a text file on a new line? i.e file.txt ________________ this is my text file ________________ file.txt ________________ this is my text file WITH A NEW LINE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: leeRoberts2007
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text at every end of the line

Hi, I just wanted to know if you have any idea or script to insert a text at everyend of the line, the text will vary. for example sample: this is line1 ok this is line2 ok this is line3 ok output: this is line1 ok /home/line1.txt this is line2 ok /home/line2.txt this is line3 ok... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get the 1st 99 characters and add new line feed at the end of the line

I have a file with varying record length in it. I need to reformat this file so that each line will have a length of 100 characters (99 characters + the line feed). AU * A01 EXPENSE 6990370000 CWF SUBC TRAVEL & MISC MY * A02 RESALE 6990788000 Y... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: udelalv
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append text to end of every line

I've scoured the internet with mixed results. As an amateur I turn to the great minds here. I have a text file of 80 or so lines. I want to add ".pdf" to the end of each line. (For now that's it) Most of the internet points toward using "sed". I don't know coding but can figure things out... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacebase
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a certain line and append text to the end of the line

After I create printer queues in AIX, I have to append a filter file location within that printers custom file. within lets say test_queue.txt I need to find the row that starts with :699 and then I need to append on the end the string /usr/local/bin/k_portrait.sh. Now I've gotten the sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: peachclift
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to add text to beginning and end of each line

Well here goes: I tried to write a batch file that adds a specific fixed text to each line of an already existing text file. for the adding text infront of each line I tried this: for /F "delims=" %%j in (list.txt) do echo.STARTTEXT\%%j >> list.txt for adding text after each line I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search a string in a text file and add another string at the end of line

Dear All I am having a text file which is having more than 200 lines. EX: 001010122 12000 BIB 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 2000 AND 12000 11200 1200003 001010122 12000 KVB 12000 11200 1200003 In the above file i want to search for string KVB... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Conditionally add character at end of line

Hi, I would like have a shell script to check every line in a file to see if it ends with ";". If this is NOT the last character ";" should be added. MyFile.csv : web9331801;01/01/2014 23:39:35;;"93962";353150256; web9331802;01/01/2014 23:44:29;;"479288";353153538; web9331803;01/01/2014... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vg77
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add text to the end of line

Seems simple but ive been searching for a good hour of so I have a text file and would like to add a string to the end of line 5 ( as an example) to ake tings hard the line number we have to add the text to is stored in a variable cunningly name $Line_to_append any ideas on how this could... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dunryc
2 Replies
fmt(1)								   User Commands							    fmt(1)

NAME
fmt - simple text formatters SYNOPSIS
fmt [-cs] [-w width | -width] [inputfile...] DESCRIPTION
fmt is a simple text formatter that fills and joins lines to produce output lines of (up to) the number of characters specified in the -w width option. The default width is 72. fmt concatenates the inputfiles listed as arguments. If none are given, fmt formats text from the standard input. Blank lines are preserved in the output, as is the spacing between words. fmt does not fill nor split lines beginning with a `.' (dot), for compatibility with nroff(1). Nor does it fill or split a set of contiguous non-blank lines which is determined to be a mail header, the first line of which must begin with "From". Indentation is preserved in the output, and input lines with differing indentation are not joined (unless -c is used). fmt can also be used as an in-line text filter for vi(1). The vi command: !}fmt reformats the text between the cursor location and the end of the paragraph. OPTIONS
-c Crown margin mode. Preserve the indentation of the first two lines within a paragraph, and align the left margin of each subsequent line with that of the second line. This is useful for tagged paragraphs. -s Split lines only. Do not join short lines to form longer ones. This prevents sample lines of code, and other such formatted text, from being unduly combined. -w width | -width Fill output lines to up to width columns. OPERANDS
inputfile Input file. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for a description of the LC_CTYPE environment variable that affects the execution of fmt. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
nroff(1), vi(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
The -width option is acceptable for BSD compatibility, but it may go away in future releases. SunOS 5.10 9 May 1997 fmt(1)