Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Inherited VIO server an LPARs Post 302493274 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 09:31:44 AM
Old 02-02-2011
Inherited VIO server an LPARs

Lucky me, someone has installed a server and got it running with the best intentions, but leaving me a headache. Smilie

We have a simple p520 with 4 disks. 2x145Gb & 2x300Gb. The smaller disk pair have been built into a VIO mirrored rootvg, and quite right too.

The other two disks form a volume group each (VIO storage pools). The plan was to ensure that disk allocated to the LPARs would be made in pairs, one from each user-volume group so that we would be confident at the LPAR that the hdisk definitions presented would be from different real media. The problem I now have is that we are adding more real disk (another 16x300Gb in a separate CEC) and add more LPARs.

So, should I create more volume groups on the VIO server (storage pools) on a one-disk-one-pool rule, or should I approach this another way. What would be nice would be a way to present the LPAR with a single device made from a mirror at the VIO server and enforcing strictness on the VIO server to make sure that the mirrors are on different real disks.

I feel that if/when we have a disk failure, I'm going to have a huge mess of failed hdisks in the various LPARs we will have and a huge overhead in logging and maintaining disk separation for all these LPAR hdisks and mirrors making sure that LPAR mirrors do not inadvertently end up on the same real disk as the primary copy, albeit a different hdisk that the LPAR sees.

Big question/headache I know. Any suggestions? Smilie

Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Inherited server - need help

I have inherited admin duties on an old server running SCO Open Server 5. No changes have been made to this thing for a very long time. The server has started randomly disconnecting itself from the network. I have to reboot the server to get it to find the network again. It happens about once a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmickens
3 Replies

2. AIX

Virtual Ethernet VIO HMC LPARs

Hi, I am little confused about the virtual Ethernet configuration on VIO and Client Partitions. There is alot of info on the internet but it gets more confusing.... If I have LHEA, it is very simple. Just assign LHEA (logical host ethernet adapter) to client partition -> run smitty tcpip and... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
10 Replies

3. AIX

vio server and vio client

Hi, I want to know wheather partition size for installation of vio client can be specified on vio server example If I am installing vio server on blade with 2*300gb hard disk,after that I want to create 2 vio client (AIX Operating system) wheather I can specify hard disk size while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

4. AIX

Identifying the vio server names

Hi My vio client is getting its virtual Ethernet services from dual vio servers. What command if I execute on the vio client will get me the names of the vio servers ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
2 Replies

5. AIX

VIO server on p520

trying to put VIO server software into this p520, firmware upgraded to the latest and greatest..SF240_415_318 , I think a few questions, on this practice AIX machine on AIX 7.1 VIO can only be installed if ASMI or HMC is running ??? if so, perhaps ASMI is much simpler, since I will need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ppchu99
2 Replies

6. AIX

vio server ethernet to vio client ethernet(concepts confusing)

Hi In the vio server when I do # lsattr -El hdisk*, I get a PVID. The same PVID is also seen when I put the lspv command on the vio client partition. This way Im able to confirm the lun using the PVID. Similarly how does the vio client partition gets the virtual ethernet scsi client adapter... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newtoaixos
1 Replies

7. AIX

Mirroring vio server

Hi, I would like to know installing vio server on local disk and mirroring rootvg, if I am creating AIX VIO CLIENT(lpar), and any of single local hard disk failuare. will it affect lpars? will lpars able to boot. what needs to be done? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
1 Replies

8. AIX

VIO Server

Hi, I am facing an issue in vio server. When I run bosboot -ad /dev/hdisk0 I am getting an error trustchk: Verification of attributes failed: /usr/sbin/bootinfo : accessauths regards, vjm Please use code tags next time for your code and data. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to identify the blade from VIO server?

Hello, I would like to identify the blade or/and bladecenter from the hosted VIO server. I prefer the "command line" solution. May be kdb. Like, I want to ask the child about his father. Thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: x41
1 Replies

10. AIX

Need to replace a broken PV in a VIO VG used for client LPARs (and it won't release the old one)

I have a broken PV in a VIO VG that's used to support client LPARs using LVs. On the client LPAR, I reduced all PVs from the relevant client VG and thus deleted it. I.e. there is no client LPAR using the VIO VG. Yet when I try to reducevg the VIO VG, it complains that the LV hosted on the PV is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
2 Replies
voldiskadm(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     voldiskadm(8)

NAME
voldiskadm - Menu interface for LSM disk administration SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/voldiskadm DESCRIPTION
The voldiskadm script is an interactive tool that presents a menu of possible operations to the user. When an operation is selected, the script guides the user through the necessary steps, and prompts for data needed to complete the operation. The voldiskadm interface is intended mainly for beginning users and for those who prefer a simple method for doing common operations. The interface uses query-based prompts to gather input, with defaults supplied when possible. Context-sensitive help is available at every prompt by typing ?. Also, a list option can be used to get information on available target disks for an operation. For operations that require a device name, one or more names can be specified using a space-separated list. Names in the list can have the form dskn or rdskn (for an entire disk) or dsknp or rdsknp (for a specific disk partition). Disk names relate directly to device names in the /dev/disk and /dev/rdisk directories. The file, /etc/vol/disks.exclude, may be used to exclude disks from use by voldiskadm. Each line of the file specifies the name of a disk to exclude (for example, dsk5). The voldiskadm menu includes the following options: Add or initialize one or more disks This option prompts for one or more disk device addresses. The specified disks can be added to an existing disk group, added to a new disk group, added to a disk group as spares, or initialized but not added to a disk group (reserved for use as replacement disks). After specifying the disks, the user is prompted for a disk group (rootdg by default) and a disk name. If no name is specified, a default disk name is assigned (diskn for disks in the rootdg disk group and diskgroupn for disks in other disk groups). The disks are then checked to ensure that there is no information already on them. If there is, the user is given the option of encapsulating the disks. Encapsulate one or more disks This option prompts for one or more disk addresses. It then calls volencap to encapsulate the specified partitions. Remove a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. The disk is checked to ensure that no subdisks reside on the disk. If the disk is in use, the operation fails with a recommendation to first move all volumes off the disk. If this disk is the last disk in a disk group, the user is prompted for whether the disk group should be removed from the system, as well. The operation proceeds by calling voldg rmdisk to remove the disk from its disk group. If this is the last disk in its disk group, voldg deport is used, instead, to remove the disk group from use. Remove a disk for replacement This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. The disk is checked for volumes that would lose all mirrors as a result of the operation. If such volumes exist, they are listed and the user is prompted to ensure that the operation should proceed. The operation proceeds by calling voldg -k rmdisk to dissociate the media record from the physical disk. If some formatted disks are under LSM control but not assigned to a disk group, the user is prompted for whether one of these disks should be used as a replacement. Replace a failed or removed disk This option prompts for a disk media name. The named media record must be dissociated from a disk. If the media record is not in the removed state, unused disks are scanned for matching disk IDs. If a disk with a matching disk ID is found, the user is prompted for whether that disk should be reattached. If a matching disk is not used, the user is prompted for a new disk, by device name. If the named replacement disk has a valid disk header, but is not allocated to a disk group, the user is prompted for whether the disk should be reinitialized. If the named replacement disk is listed as allocated to a disk group or to another host, the user is prompted to ensure that the operation should proceed. If the device is to be initialized, a new disk label is written to the disk to reflect its private and public regions. Given an initialized disk, the operation proceeds by replacing the disk in a disk group with voldg -k adddisk. Mirror volumes on a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. It then prompts for a destination disk within the same disk group, also by disk media name. Specifying no destination disks indicates that any disk is suitable. The operation proceeds by calling volmirror to mirror the volumes. Mirroring volumes from the boot disk will produce a disk that can be used as an alternate boot disk. This is done by calling the volrootmir command. Move volumes from a disk This option prompts for a disk, by disk media name. It then prompts for a possible list of destination disks, also by disk media name. Specifying no destination disks indicates that any disk is suitable. The operation proceeds by calling volevac to move sub- disks off the disk. Enable access to (import) a disk group This option prompts for a disk, by device address. The operation proceeds by calling voldg import to import the disk group stored on that disk. Disable access to (deport) a disk group This option prompts for a disk group name. The prompt display lists alternate disk groups and the disks (media name and access name) that they contain. The operation proceeds by calling voldg deport. Enable (online) a disk device This option prompts for a disk device. The prompt display allows for a display of disks on the system. The operation only func- tions for disks currently in an offline state. It then proceeds to make the disk accessible. Disable (offline) a disk device This option prompts for a disk device. The prompt display allows for a display of disks on the system. The operation only func- tions for disks currently in an online state but not part of any disk group. It then proceeds to mark the disk as offline such that the Logical Storage Manager makes no further attempt at accessing the disk. Mark a disk as a spare for a disk group This option sets up a disk to be used as a spare device for its disk group. A spare disk can be used to automatically replace a disk that has failed. No space can be used on a disk that is marked as a spare. Turn off the spare flag for a disk This option removes a disk from those that can be used as a spare and returns its space to the general pool of available space. Recover plexes and volumes after replacement This operation performs plex attachment, RAID-5 subdisk recovery, and resynchronize operations for the named volumes, or for volumes residing on the named disks (media name). If no media name or volume operands are specified, the operation applies to all volumes (or to all volumes in the specified disk group). ERRORS
See the voldiskadd(8) reference page for a description of errors related to the initialization operation. FILES
A list of disks to exclude from use by voldiskadm. SEE ALSO
disklabel(8), volintro(8), voldg(8), voldisk(8), voldiskadd(8), voldisksetup(8), volrootmir(8) voldiskadm(8)