Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help replacing quotes
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help replacing quotes Post 302492994 by jl487 on Wednesday 2nd of February 2011 04:49:58 AM
Old 02-02-2011
sorry for the confusion, but LI1 is the correct array. LI was created because that was my target output (note that there are no ' characters between the integers). I created LI just to test my code. LI1 is the array that needs to have the ' characters removed. The while loop in my code appends tokens to the array, but also surrounds my tokens with single quotes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quotes or single quotes when using ssh?

I'm not very familiar with the ssh command. When I tried to set a variable and then echo its value on a remote machine via ssh, I found a problem. For example, $ ITSME=itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx "ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME" itsme $ ssh xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx 'ITSME=itsyou; echo $ITSME' itsyou $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: password636
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single quotes and double quotes

Hi guys, I have a sed line in double quotes which works fine, but I want it to be in single quotes here is the sed line sed "/abc_def/s/\'.*\'/\'\${abc_def}\'/" can some one give the equivalent to the above script in single quotes Thanks a ton (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol_nov
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep single quotes or double quotes

Unix superusers, I am new to unix but would like to learn more about grep. I am very familiar with regular expressions as i have used them for searching text files in windows based text editors. Since I am not very familiar with Unix, I dont understand when one should use GREP with the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: george_vandelet
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing comma with in double quotes in a csv file

Hello, I need to read a csv file and I am trying to replace a comma with a text DSEE?DSEE. Example Input "Chapter","NewTrains, "oldTrains","Delayed",10,"London" "Chapter","Newbuses,oldbuses","On Time",20,"London" Output "Chapter","NewTrainsDSEE?DSEE... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatvani
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Having a terrible problem with quotes/single quotes!

Hello. I'm trying to write a bash script that uses GNU screen and have hit a brick wall that has cost me many hours... (I'm sure it has something to do with quoting/globbing, which is why I post it here) I can make a script that does the following just fine: test.sh: #!/bin/bash # make... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jondecker76
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed replacing quotes

Hi! I'd like to ask for help with the following problem: Using sed all double quotes (") in a textfile should be replaced with two of them ("") but not - and here is my problem - if two are already present ("")... For example: "this is an ""sample"" text" should be ""this is an... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rweber
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Single Quotes and Double Quotes for prompt PS1

Hi, Trying to change the prompt. I have the following code. export PS1=' <${USER}@`hostname -s`>$ ' The hostname is not displayed <abc@`hostname -s`>$ uname -a AIX xyz 1 6 00F736154C00 <adcwl4h@`hostname -s`>$ If I use double quotes, then the hostname is printed properly but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbygsk
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing quotes within quotes

Hello everyone, I am working on a file with thousands of lines and instead of manually removing them I need a script to remove quotes within quotes. For example a line may have something such as this: "Hey, I was ready to go on stage or "break a leg", but I failed miserably." So I need to... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybrownies
15 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing double quotes with the unicodes "urgent!"

Hi, I have the following text in a file <div class="snippet abstract"> We present a new "model" for multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) 'outdoor' has many things "what" ever </div></a href=sdfkkf"> </div> <div class="snippet context"> I have to replace the string between the <div... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vms
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace Double quotes within double quotes in a column with space while loading a CSV file

Hi All, I'm unable to load the data using sql loader where there are double quotes within the double quotes As these are optionally enclosed by double quotes. Sample Data : "221100",138.00,"D","0019/1477","44012075","49938","49938/15043000","Television - 22" Refurbished - Airwave","Supply... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlavanya
6 Replies
STRTOK(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 STRTOK(3)

NAME
strtok, strtok_r -- string tokens LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <string.h> char * strtok(char * restrict str, const char * restrict sep); char * strtok_r(char *str, const char *sep, char **lasts); DESCRIPTION
The strtok() function is used to isolate sequential tokens in a nul-terminated string, str. These tokens are separated in the string by at least one of the characters in sep. The first time that strtok() is called, str should be specified; subsequent calls, wishing to obtain further tokens from the same string, should pass a null pointer instead. The separator string, sep, must be supplied each time, and may change between calls. The strtok() function returns a pointer to the beginning of each subsequent token in the string, after replacing the separator character itself with a NUL character. Separator characters at the beginning of the string or at the continuation point are skipped so that zero length tokens are not returned. When no more tokens remain, a null pointer is returned. The strtok_r() function implements the functionality of strtok() but is passed an additional argument, lasts, which points to a user-provided pointer which is used by strtok_r() to store state which needs to be kept between calls to scan the same string; unlike strtok(), it is not necessary to limit tokenizing to a single string at a time when using strtok_r(). EXAMPLES
The following will construct an array of pointers to each individual word in the string s: #define MAXTOKENS 128 char s[512], *p, *tokens[MAXTOKENS]; char *last; int i = 0; snprintf(s, sizeof(s), "cat dog horse cow"); for ((p = strtok_r(s, " ", &last)); p; (p = strtok_r(NULL, " ", &last)), i++) { if (i < MAXTOKENS - 1) tokens[i] = p; } tokens[i] = NULL; That is, tokens[0] will point to "cat", tokens[1] will point to "dog", tokens[2] will point to "horse", and tokens[3] will point to "cow". SEE ALSO
index(3), memchr(3), rindex(3), strchr(3), strcspn(3), strpbrk(3), strrchr(3), strsep(3), strspn(3), strstr(3) STANDARDS
The strtok() function conforms to ANSI X3.159-1989 (``ANSI C89''). The strtok_r() function conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1c-1995 (``POSIX.1''). BUGS
The System V strtok(), if handed a string containing only delimiter characters, will not alter the next starting point, so that a call to strtok() with a different (or empty) delimiter string may return a non-NULL value. Since this implementation always alters the next starting point, such a sequence of calls would always return NULL. BSD
August 11, 2002 BSD