Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Read redirected file from stdin in C (a.out < file) Post 302492921 by semash! on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 10:57:12 PM
Old 02-01-2011
Read redirected file from stdin in C (a.out < file)

Hello everybody,
Having a file with the following content:
Code:
192.168.0.254->192.168.0.1
192.168.0.2->192.168.0.34
192.168.0.56->192.168.0.77

I need to code a program in C to read it from stdin redirection (i.e. root@box~# ./a.out < file), my question is, how can i do that?

I've tried with functions like fscanf(stdin, "%s->%s", var1, var2), but it only reads the first line of the file. How do i pass to the next line in file, and how do i detect the EOF?

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving a redirected file

What command do I use in order to save a file in directory A/B/C to directory A/D/E. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: JSP
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail -f a log file redirected into a new window?

Is this possible? I am attempting to display a new xterm window and tail -f the log file within that new window. I am currently working on a solaris 8 machine if that has any different meaning than the other platforms. As you can see, I am a newbie to this forum and to UNIX. Any help would be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: douknownam
2 Replies

3. AIX

search for a file - errors redirected

hi all, i do search for a file in solaris box in the following format find / -name 'file' -print 2>/dev/null i tried the same thing on AIX box; as i am searching from the root the same way i redirected the errors to /dev/null but find is showing strip off errors and when i just continued... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing redirected file inside script

hi, Is there a way to access the redirected file inside the script. Here is what the command line looks like: $ shar * > archive_file.arc I know I can't access the name of archive_file.arc with positional parameters like $1, $2.. Is there any way to figure out what file the output of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirected output not going to file for all cases

I have to confirm that an engine was not able to run. In the output below you see that it indeed got errors, but it didn't send those messages to the output file. When I run the same thing with a different executable it works. So does this mean something in the executable could cause it not to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: brdholman
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

no data redirected to a file with top and grep - why?

HI all, I want to capture cpu data in batch mode of "top" command and redirect to a file like this: top -b > cpu.dat it works! But I want to capture only Cpu lines, so i have: top -b | grep ^Cpu >cpu.dat Then I got an empty output file. Why? Could somebody explain and help me to make it... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: fongthai
15 Replies

7. HP-UX

STDIN Devie File Name and Location

Hi all, I want to know the device filename of STDIN in HPUX. As the same is available on other platforms at /dev/ directory as "/dev/stdin", i can't find any filename for STDIN at /dev/ in HPUX. Please let me know the name and location of device file of STDIN on HPUX. Thanks regards,... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: erra_krishna
0 Replies

8. UNIX and Linux Applications

missing delimiters when mysql output is redirected to log file

Hi, Pls check that '|' and '+' present in Step-1 are not copied to log file in Step-3. Pls suggest how to get the exact output from Step-1 (i.e. with out losing '|' and '+') in to a log file ~Thanks Step-1: Execute command > mysql -utest -ptest -htesthost testdb -e "select * from... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting redirected pwd from file.

Hi echo " username " read username echo "password" stty -echo read password stty echo through read i am taking standard input and redirecign them to a file echo " username=${username}/${password} " > file.lst now from the same shell script i want to delete the password (i.e... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosheks
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to use variable instead of stdin or file

on linux systems, i can do something like this: $ JIOO=hello.one.two $ $ awk -F"." '{print $2}' <<< "${JIOO}" however, on older systems or other unix systems that dont have the fancy stuff this does not work. i contemplated using "-v var="${JIOO}" but i dont think that works. any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
7 Replies
PRIPS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  PRIPS(1)

NAME
prips -- print the IP addresses in a given range SYNOPSIS
prips [-c] [-d delim] [-e exclude] [-f format] [-i incr] start end prips [-c] [-d delim] [-e exclude] [-f format] [-i incr] CIDR-block prips -h DESCRIPTION
The prips tool can be used to print all of the IP addresses in a given range. It can enhance tools that only work on one host at a time, e.g. whois(1). The prips tool accepts the following command-line options: -c Print the range in CIDR notation. -d delim Set the delimiter to the character with ASCII code delim where 0 <= delim <= 255. -e <x.x.x,x.x> Exclude ranges from the output. -f format Set the format of addresses (hex, dec, or dot). -h Show summary of options. -i incr Set the increment to 'x'. ENVIRONMENT
The prips tool's operation is not influenced by any environment variables. FILES
The prips tool's operation is not influenced by any files. EXAMPLES
Display all the addresses in a reserved subnet: prips 192.168.32.0 192.168.32.255 The same, using CIDR notation: prips 192.168.32/24 Display only the usable addresses in a class A reserved subnet using a space instead of a newline for a delimiter: prips -d 32 10.0.0.1 10.255.255.255 Display every fourth address in a weird block: prips -i 4 192.168.32.7 192.168.33.5 Determine the smallest CIDR block containing two addresses: prips -c 192.168.32.5 192.168.32.11 DIAGNOSTICS
The prips utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
ipsc(1), gipsc(1) STANDARDS
No standards were harmed in the writing of the prips tool. HISTORY
The prips tool was originally written by Daniel Kelly and later adopted by Peter Pentchev. This manual page was originally written by Juan Alvarez for the Debian GNU/Linux system and later added to the prips distribution and converted to mdoc format by Peter Pentchev. AUTHORS
Daniel Kelly <dan@vertekcorp.com> Juan Alvarez <jalvarez@fluidsignal.com> Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net> BUGS
Please report any bugs in the prips tool to its current maintainer, Peter Pentchev. BSD
March 1, 2011 BSD