Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need to Delete first 10 characters of a file name Post 302492886 by kurumi on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 08:16:14 PM
Old 02-01-2011
Code:
$ echo 1234567890samplefile1.txt | ruby -e 'print gets[10..-1]' 
samplefile1.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

how to insert and delete characters in the middle of file

I have a problem that I want to insert and delete some chars in the middle of a file. fopen() and fdopen() just allow to append at the end. Is there any simple method or existing library that allow these actions? Thanks in advance.:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivancheung
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete a file with special characters

I don't now exactly how I did it, but I created a file named " -C " cexdi:/home1 $ls -lt total 1801336 -rw------- 1 cexdi ced-group 922275840 23 mars 10:03 -C How do I delete this file ? cexdi:/home1 $rm -C rm: invalid option -- C Syntax : rm filename ... Doesn't work...... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yveslagace
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

delete non printable characters from file

i have a file which contains non printable characters like enter,escape etc i want to delete them from the file (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alokjyotibal
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to delete M-^M characters from a file

I am receiving a file with 'M-^M' characters...how do I get rid of these characters. I tried tr -d '\015' and sed '/^M//g', but they didnot work. Appreciate if someone can help me with this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hyennah
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete not readable characters

Hi All, I wanted to delete all the unwanted characters in the string. ie, to delete all the characters which are not alpha numeric values. var1="a./bc" var2='abc/\."123' like to get the output as print var1 abc print var2 abc123 Could you guys help me out pls. Your help is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete characters using a file

Hi All, I have a configuration file (file.cfg) in which data will be like this ; , _ + a to z A to Z Now i have to read a textfile (file.txt) and i need to check whether there is any other character present in text file that is not existing in (file.cfg). If other characters are present... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete new line characters from a file

Hi, I have a file with about 25 colums separated with '~', but few of the lines have extra tabs ('^') and new line characters ('$'). Is there a way I can delete those characters if they are anywhere before the 25th column in a line? example: CLUB000650;12345678;0087788667;NOOP MEMBER ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vim help - delete words in a file or characters after pattern

I have a file with words that begin with character #. Whenver that character is found that word should be deleted throughout the file. How do I do that in VIM. e.g: afkajfa ladfa ljafa #222222 kjafad ljl afajkj kjlj uouu #44444 jlkj lkjl Output should be afkajfa ladfa ljafa kjafad... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: osbourneric
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to delete special characters from the file content

Hello Team, Any one suggest how to delte the below special character from a file which is having one column 10 rows of same below content. ---------------------------------------- Kosten|bersicht gemd_ ' =Welche Kosten kvnnen... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help to delete special characters exists only at the end of the each record in UNIX file?

Hi, I have a file in unix with 15 columns.It consists special characters(#,$,^M,@,*,% etc)at the end of the each record.I want to remove these special characters.I used the following: Sed -e 's/ /g;s/ */ /g' . But It is removing special characters exists everywhere in the file(begining,middle... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshp
24 Replies
FPRINTF(3)								 1								FPRINTF(3)

fprintf - Write a formatted string to a stream

SYNOPSIS
int fprintf (resource $handle, string $format, [mixed $args], [mixed $...]) DESCRIPTION
Write a string produced according to $format to the stream resource specified by $handle. PARAMETERS
o $handle -A file system pointer resource that is typically created using fopen(3). o $format - See sprintf(3) for a description of $format. o $args - o $... - RETURN VALUES
Returns the length of the string written. EXAMPLES
Example #1 fprintf(3): zero-padded integers <?php if (!($fp = fopen('date.txt', 'w'))) { return; } fprintf($fp, "%04d-%02d-%02d", $year, $month, $day); // will write the formatted ISO date to date.txt ?> Example #2 fprintf(3): formatting currency <?php if (!($fp = fopen('currency.txt', 'w'))) { return; } $money1 = 68.75; $money2 = 54.35; $money = $money1 + $money2; // echo $money will output "123.1"; $len = fprintf($fp, '%01.2f', $money); // will write "123.10" to currency.txt echo "wrote $len bytes to currency.txt"; // use the return value of fprintf to determine how many bytes we wrote ?> SEE ALSO
printf(3), sprintf(3), sscanf(3), fscanf(3), vsprintf(3), number_format(3). PHP Documentation Group FPRINTF(3)