Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Have to learn sed and awk commands in kSH? Post 302492621 by Jotne on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 03:12:45 AM
Old 02-01-2011

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

can someone provide me with url or document to learn solaris commands easily???

HEllo guys, If somebody knowing the url or a document then please reply me i am in need of most useful solaris commands its really urgent... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lokeshpashine
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using variables within awk/sed commands

Can I use my own variables within awk and sed for example: I've written a while loop with a counter $i and I want to use the value of $i within sed and awk to edit certain lines of text within a data file. I want to use : sed '1s/$/texthere/g' data.csv Like this: sed '$is/$/$age/g' data.csv... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mustaine85
5 Replies

3. Linux

Adding a prefix to a column using awk/sed commands

Hello, I am a newbie to linux and struggling to find a better way to append a column in a text file. Here is the file i want to modify: It has 8 columns (and thousands of rows). I want to append the first column by adding "chr" infront of the numbers. Some rows have a string in the first... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bjorngill
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

it's ok to learn awk and not learning sed?

please reflect... since I am beginner and dont know what to do ---------- Post updated at 04:25 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:19 AM ---------- I am aware that awk is programming language and sed is just a tool (however people created some games with it). thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c_lady
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: substitution character, AWK or SED?

Hi Gurus, I am working with a korn shell script. I should replace in a very great file the character ";" with a space. Example: 2750;~ 2734;~ 2778;~ 2751;~ 2751;~ 2752;~ what the fastest method is? Sed? Awk? Speed is dead main point, Seen the dimensions of the files Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED sub commands in KSH not working for me

I am using SED to edit a file (called file) the file contains the word "ERROR" and I want to use SED to: 1. Search for text "ERROR" If found, 2. Append new line with text "hoi" I tried: sed 's/ERROR/ a\hoi' file sed 's/ERROR/ a\ hoi' file I get all the time the error sed:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alex400
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables into SED or AWK and multiple commands

Hello I am hoping you may help. I am not sure how to go about this exactly, I know the tools but not sure how to make them work together. I have two SED commands that I would like to run in a shell script. I would like to take the manual input of a user (types in when prompted) to be used... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lostincashe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or sed or any commands to stripe data

Say i have: g_gateway domain="abc.com" to="123.123.123.123" relay="false" how do i use awk or sed or any method to get the result below: abc.com 123.123.123.123 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble using awk and sed commands

Hi i have a control file which i need to read. It is ',' separated. the 3rd parameter will be ';' separated. I have 2 files: /home/orig.txt /home/join.txt I need a O/P file name based on firstparameter_1.txt and it should have the content of /home/orig.txt and appended content from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed commands success / fail from commandline vs ksh script

solaris 5.10 Generic_138888-03 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200 I need a sed command that tests true when presented with lines that contain either forward and backslash. input file: c:/myFile.txt c:\yourFile.txt It doesn't appear that sed (in my environment anyway) supports... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msutfin
4 Replies
FILETYPE(3)								 1							       FILETYPE(3)

filetype - Gets file type

SYNOPSIS
string filetype (string $filename) DESCRIPTION
Returns the type of the given file. PARAMETERS
o $filename - Path to the file. RETURN VALUES
Returns the type of the file. Possible values are fifo, char, dir, block, link, file, socket and unknown. Returns FALSE if an error occurs. filetype(3) will also produce an E_NOTICE message if the stat call fails or if the file type is unknown. EXAMPLES
Example #1 filetype(3) example <?php echo filetype('/etc/passwd'); // file echo filetype('/etc/'); // dir ?> ERRORS
/EXCEPTIONS Upon failure, an E_WARNING is emitted. NOTES
Note The results of this function are cached. See clearstatcache(3) for more details. Tip As of PHP 5.0.0, this function can also be used with some URL wrappers. Refer to "Supported Protocols and Wrappers" to determine which wrappers support stat(3) family of functionality. SEE ALSO
is_dir(3), is_file(3), is_link(3), file_exists(3), mime_content_type(3), pathinfo(3), stat(3). PHP Documentation Group FILETYPE(3)