Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting To log binary file output to a txt file Post 302492616 by dbashyam on Tuesday 1st of February 2011 02:46:59 AM
Old 02-01-2011
To log binary file output to a txt file

Hi,

I wrote a small script whose function is to execute the postemsg provided if the threshold breaches.

I want to log this postemsg messages to a log file. But I am not able to do. Can someone throw some light on how to log the output of this. I am pasting a snippet of that code.

Code:
export POSTEMSG=/opt/IHS.postemsg.base/postemsg
export POSTEMSGCFGFILE=/opt/IHS.postemsg.base/postemsg_aix.cfg
export SCRIPT_HOME="/"

$POSTEMSG -f $POSTEMSGCFGFILE -r CRITICAL -m "Guardium: CPU used is $CPUUSAGE %" hostname=$HOSTNAME sub_origin=$HOSTNAME IBMIMMGenAlert IBMHW_Trap >> $SCRIPT_HOME/.vguard.out

The binary gets executed but the output is not thrown in .vguard.out file. Any ideas?

Regards,
DineshSmilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Binary txt file received when i use uuencode to send txt file as attachment

Hi, I have already read a lot of posts on sending attachments in unix...but none of them were of help for my problem...so here goes.. i wanna attach a text file and send to a mail id..used the following code : uuencode "$File1" "$File1" ;|mail -s "$Mail_sub" abc@abc.com it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ash22
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert a .log file into .txt file under unix??

Hi Friends, I have a .log file generated from a tool(Windows PC) which can be opened using a notepad, but when I tried to view the file in unix (cygwin on my laptop) the file type is showing as binary file, So I am unable to process the file. I need to extract some of the selected text... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a log file and appending to a .txt file

I'm new to shell scripting and am writing a script to help me log the free memory and hd space on a server. As of now, the script just runs 'df -h' and appends the output to a file and then runs 'top' and appends the output to a log file. What I want to do, is have the script also search the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: enator45
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Store output of DB Cursor to a txt file

I am writing a cursor to select values from 3 tables. I want to store these values in a txt file which I will be sending via ftp. I am able to store the results of simple select queries to the txt file. but I am not sure how to store the values when using a cursor. I have given the sql query below.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naveensraj
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

man command output to a txt file

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: I am trying to outut the man command output into a text file which will help me for future reference. 2.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariniiyer300
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Output redirection of c binary file to a file in shell script is failing

I am struck up with a problem and that is with output redirection. I used all the ways for the redirection of the output of c binary to a file, still it is failing. Here are the different ways which I have used: ./a.out | tee -a /root/tmp.txt 2>&1 ./a.out | tee -a /root/tmp.txt 1>&1 ./a.out |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maya29988
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing inline binary data from txt file

I am trying to parse a file but the filehas binary data inline mixed with text fields. I tried the binutils strings function , it get the binary data out but put the char following the binary data in a new line . input file app_id:1936 pgm_num:0 branch:TBNY ord_num:0500012(–QMK) deal_num:0... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tasmac
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to convert output.txt into html file

I have output.txt file generated through shell scripts which need convert in tabular format using html can you please help me output.txt Token State Date1 Date2 Description Name 34567 open 27/06/13 28/06/13 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijay_rajni
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desired output.txt for reading txt file using awk?

Dear all, I have a huge txt file (DATA.txt) with the following content . From this txt file, I want the following output using some shell script. Any help is greatly appreciated. Greetings, emily DATA.txt (snippet of the huge text file) 407202849... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emily
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to attach a .txt file or .log file to mail and mailx command

Hi, I am trying to attach a .log file or .txt file to mail command to send an email once my ksh script executed. I am unable to use mutt command as it has been not installed and i am not supposed to install it. I have tried many ways by googling which has not helped me to succeed. Here is my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samah
5 Replies
sysidconfig(1M) 														   sysidconfig(1M)

NAME
sysidconfig - execute system configuration applications, or define set of system configuration applications SYNOPSIS
sysidconfig [-lv] [-a application] [-b basedir] [-r application] Invoked without any options, the sysidconfig program executes a list of applications. An application on this list is referred to as a "sys- tem configuration application." Every application on this list will be passed one command-line argument, -c. This flag will cause the sys- tem configuration application to perform its configuration function. Without options, sysidconfig should only be invoked by startup scripts, which occurs during the initial installation and during a reconfigure reboot. All applications on the list will be executed, if possible. All activity taken by the sysidconfig program is logged in the sysidconfig log file, /var/log/sysidconfig.log. If one or more of the applications on the list are either not present at execution time, are not exe- cutable, or execute but return a failure code upon completion, then that information will be logged as well. Successful completion of the program can be assumed if no error message is present in the log file. Programs are executed sequentially, with only one configuration application active at a time. Executed with the -l, -a, or -r options, the sysidconfig program allows the super-user to list the defined configuration applications, and to add items to or remove items from that list. Running sysidconfig with options is the only way to view or manipulate the list. Only the super-user can execute the sysidconfig program with options. The -b and -v options change the behavior of sysidconfig, and can be used with or without the list manipulation options discussed above. The -b basedir option is used to specify a reference root directory other than the default, /. The -v option duplicates the log file output on stdout. By default, no SPARC based applications exist on this list. However, the based systems are delivered with one application, kdmconfig(1M), on the list. kdmconfig is not delivered on SPARC based systems. This application is an extension of the sysidtool(1M) suite of programs. It is executed during initial installation and during a reconfig- ure reboot, before the window system has been started. Graphical User Interface (GUI) applications will not execute successfully if they are added to the list of configuration applications via sysidconfig -a. This program is referenced, but not fully described, in the sysidtool(1M) manual page. The valid options are: -a application Add the named application to the list of defined applications. When next invoked without arguments, sysidconfig will run this newly added application after all previously defined applications. application must be a fully qualified path name that is not currently on the list of applications to execute. -b basedir Specify an alternate base directory (/ is defined as the default base directory if no other is specified). The specified directory is used as the root directory when adding, listing, removing, or executing configuration applications. The log file where information is recorded is in /var/log, relative to the specified basedir. In the log file, the basedir is not noted. This means, for example, that if the super-user on a diskless client's server executes: sysidconfig -b /export/root/client -a /sbin/someapp then the diskless client client would have /sbin/someapp executed upon reconfigure reboot. The diskless client's log file would note that /sbin/someapp was added, not /export/root/client/sbin/someapp. Note - The root file system of any non-global zones must not be referenced with the -b option. Doing so might damage the global zone's file system, might compromise the security of the global zone, and might damage the non-global zone's file system. See zones(5). -l List defined configuration applications. Applications will be executed one at a time, in the order shown in the list. -r application Remove the named application from the list of defined applications. application must be a fully qualified path name and it must be on the existing list of applications to execute. -v Verbose mode. This option echoes all information sent to the log file to stdout. Such information includes timestamp infor- mation about when the program was executed, the names of applications being executed, and results of those executions. The sysidconfig program will return 0 if it completes successfully. When executed with the -r or -a options, error conditions or warnings will be reported on stderr. If the requested action completes suc- cessfully, an exit code of 0 will be returned. EPERM The program was executed by a user other than the super-user. EINVAL Option -l, -a, or -r was passed and the action could not be completed successfully. /var/log/sysidconfig.log sysidconfig log file See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWadmap | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ sys-unconfig(1M), sysidtool(1M), attributes(5) Only kdmconfig(1M) When run without options, a log of the sysidconfig program's activity can be found in /var/log/sysidconfig.log. This file contains a time- stamp log of each program executed, its resulting stderr output, and its exit code. If an application in the list was not found or is not executable, that will also be noted. 6 Apr 2005 sysidconfig(1M)