Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: USTAR tar archive
Operating Systems Solaris USTAR tar archive Post 302492539 by reddyr on Monday 31st of January 2011 08:36:34 PM
Old 01-31-2011
Can you tell me exactly what you have run to take backup (creating tar file) and from which directory you ran?

If the tar file has old messages file and if you overwrote latest messages file then there is no way you could restore latest messages file. BUT you may get little recent message files in the form of messages.0,1,2 etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive: time, date?

Is there a way to know when (date, time) a tar archive on tape was created? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: croy75
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archive with .Z files

Hello, I have a tar archive full of compressed .Z (compressed with the compress command) files. I have restored the tar to a disk but am looking for a way to uncompress every file in every sub-directory. Under normal circumstances, I would just change directories and "uncompress *" but with 1600... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kun2112
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Archive (tar)

Hi, I want to archive below directories ex: /home/oracle/ddd0 /home/oracle/ddd1 /home/oracle/ddd2 I want a command(tar) which will let me archive the above directories excluding *.dmp(dump files), *.log(log files) in those directories. So the archived file doesn't have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dreams5617
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Q: tar archive help

hey how do you create a archive and add file to an existing archive. i keep getting an error: dir/#: No such file or directory currently using tar -cvfu name.tar files files searching from a word document each line having different file extention. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nookie
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

choose what to extract from tar archive

Hello! I want to extract a choosen directory (and its contents) from a tar archive and i have tried what i believe is every option i could find in the manual. I think i have done it once before, but i don't remeber how. Could anyone please tell me how to do? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar archive issue

Hi, I make a tar archive: tar -czvf /path_to/cucu.tar.gz /path/dir_to_archive/ In the archive the /path/dir_to_archive/ is maintained for every file. I need that the archive to be made without the /path/dir_to_archive/ to contain only the files in /path/dir_to_archive/. Thanks,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: potro
4 Replies

7. Programming

read file from tar.gz archive

I want to write a c-program which reads a textfile from a tar.gz archive. How can I do it? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: krylin
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Archive::Tar problem

Hello, I have a problem using Archive::Tar. it seem very trivial but i cannot get it work. First I have a list of files I grab from a directory. Then I create a tar archive and write the files into the archive. everything works great, except that I cannot properly extract the files. What... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amcrisan
0 Replies

9. Linux

tar archive

I have made tar archive of my system.. How can I make that tar archive to be bootable.. simply to install new linux from the archived tar file.. thanks in advance (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with number of files in a tar archive

I cant seem to work out how to count the number of executable files in a particular tar archive? Only in a directory as a whole. I also cant work out how to count number of certain file types in a tar archive. Only the directory, pretty stuck :( (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Razor147
9 Replies
SENDFILES(1)                                                         [nmh-1.5]                                                        SENDFILES(1)

NAME
sendfiles - send multiple files via a MIME message SYNOPSIS
sendfiles [delay] mailpath subject file1 [file2 ...] DESCRIPTION
The shell script sendfiles, is used to send a collection of files and directories via electronic mail. sendfiles mailpath "subject" files ... sendfiles will archive the files and directories you name with the tar command, and then mail the compressed archive to the "mailpath" with the given "subject". The archive will be automatically split up into as many messages as necessary in order to get past most mailers. Sometimes you want sendfiles to pause after posting a partial message. This is usually the case when you are running sendmail and expect to generate a lot of partial messages. If the first argument given to sendfiles starts with a dash, then it is interpreted as the number of seconds to pause in between postings, e.g., sendfiles -30 mailpath "subject" files ... will pause 30 seconds in between each posting. Extracting the Received Files When these messages are received, invoke mhstore once for the list of messages. The default is for mhstore to store the combined parts as a new message in the current folder, although this can be changed using storage formatting strings. You can then use mhlist to find out what's inside; possibly followed by mhstore again to write the archive to a file where you can subsequently uncompress and untar it. For instance: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore 9 % uncompress < 9.tar.Z | tar xvpf - Alternately, by using the -auto switch, mhstore will automatically do the extraction for you: % mhlist 5-8 msg part type/subtype size description 5 message/partial 47K part 1 of 4 6 message/partial 47K part 2 of 4 7 message/partial 47K part 3 of 4 8 message/partial 18K part 4 of 4 % mhstore 5-8 reassembling partials 5,6,7,8 to folder inbox as message 9 % mhlist -verbose 9 msg part type/subtype size description 9 application/octet-stream 118K (extract with uncompress | tar xvpf -) type=tar conversions=compress % mhstore -auto 9 -- tar listing appears here as files are extracted As the second tar listing is generated, the files are extracted. A prudent user will never put -auto in the .mh_profile file. The correct procedure is to first use mhlist to find out what will be extracted. Then mhstore can be invoked with -auto to perform the extraction. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder SEE ALSO
mhbuild(1), mhlist(1), mhshow(1), mhstore(1). Proposed Standard for Message Encapsulation (RFC-934) DEFAULTS
`-noverbose' CONTEXT
None MH.6.8 11 June 2012 SENDFILES(1)