Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Edit files with cat
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Edit files with cat Post 302492241 by Yogesh Sawant on Sunday 30th of January 2011 04:10:01 PM
Old 01-30-2011
may be you are referring to sed or awk

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to edit large files using vi

How to edit large file using vi where you can't increase /usr/var/tmp anymore? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nazri
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Edit Multiple Files in VI

Here's what I have... $ vi foo1 - open foo1 and work around for a while. I yank a few lines into a buffer and then :w to save. Next I :e foo2 to open foo2 and paste my buffer. I :w to save, but I would like to then be able to go directly back into foo1 where I was before I opened foo2. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: djschmitt
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cat files

Hi, I was a typical Windows guy. Like to do things just by clicking my mouse:cool:. I got a new job now...where they are big on unix. I am trying to wet my fingures now with unix. Haven't taken the dive yet. I am trying to find a solution for this problem. Please help me with some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep78
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch !!!

Hi Can anybody tell the difference between Difference between cat , cat > , cat >> and touch command in UNIX? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
6 Replies

5. HP-UX

cpio.cat.z files????

what are cpio.cat.z files??? Can I delete them??? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldaliosmane
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat certain files in directories to files named after the dir?

Hi all, I have a directory with many subdirectories each named like so: KOG0001, KOG0002, ...KOG9999. Each of these subdirectories contain a variable number two kinds of files (nuc and prot) named like so: Capitella_sp_nuc_hits.fasta (nuc) and Capitella_sp_prot_hits.fasta (prot). The... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

edit _config files

Hi, I am trying to edit sshd_config file through the vi editor. logged on as a root. when I try to write the file I get: Read-only file, not written; use ! to override when i type :w!, I get: Error: etc/ssh/sshd_config Permission denied. I want to change: #PermitRootLogin no to yes freeBDS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: emosms
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using cat on specific files only

I am concatenating txt-files using cat: cat *.txt > file.dat However, the same directory has the installation instructions included, which is also a txt file: install.txt I currently have the install.txt file renamed to install._txt, but I prefer a solution using regular expressions. Is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat N files in a folder

I am new to Linux and I am trying to cat only N files in a folder. N is dynamically given number at runtime. If I give N as 2 then cat only 2 files in the folder and If I give N as 5 then cat only 5 files in the folder. Is there any way to do that? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMusunuru
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip and edit many files

Experts - I have an requirement to gunzip and edit many files in a pair of directories. I have two scripts that work great when run separately, but I'm having problems combining the two. The goal is to gunzip the files found in the first script and pipe them to the bash/sed script and... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: timj123
9 Replies
PYP(1)							      General Commands Manual							    PYP(1)

NAME
pyp - The Pyed Piper: A Modern Python Alternative to awk, sed and Other Unix Text Manipulation Utilities SYNOPSIS
pyp [options] files ... DESCRIPTION
pyp, the Pyed Piper, is a command line tool for text manipulation. It is similar to awk and sed in functionality, but its subcommands are Python based, and thus more familiar to many programmers. It can operate both on a per-line base and on the complete input stream. Different features can be pipelined in a single command by using the pipe character familiar from shell commands. pyp backs up its input for reruns with modified commands, and can save commands as macros. On the downside, the rerun feature makes it unsuitable for continuous pipe operation. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, use --manual. -h, --help Show this help message and exit. -m, --manual Prints out extended help. -l, --macro_list Lists all available macros. -s MACRO_SAVE_NAME, --macro_save=MACRO_SAVE_NAME Saves current command as macro. use "#" for adding comments EXAMPLE: pyp -s "great_macro # prints first letter" "p[1]". -f MACRO_FIND_NAME, --macro_find=MACRO_FIND_NAME Searches for macros with keyword or user name. -d MACRO_DELETE_NAME, --macro_delete=MACRO_DELETE_NAME Deletes specified public macro. -g, --macro_group Specify group macros for save and delete; default is user. -t TEXT_FILE, --text_file=TEXT_FILE Specify text file to load. For advanced users, you should typically cat a file into pyp. -x, --execute Execute all commands. -c, --turn_off_color Prints raw, uncolored output. -u, --unmodified_config Prints out generic PypCustom.py config file. -b BLANK_INPUTS, --blank_inputs=BLANK_INPUTS Generate this number of blank input lines; useful for generating numbered lists with variable 'n'. -n, --no_input Use with command that generates output with no input; same as --dummy_input 1. -k, --keep_false Print blank lines for lines that test as False. default is to filter out False lines from the output. -r, --rerun Rerun based on automatically cached data from the last run. Use this after executing "pyp", pasting input into the shell, and hitting CTRL-D. SEE ALSO
awk(1), grep(1), sed(1). AUTHOR
pyp was written by Toby Rosen <tobyrosen@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Khalid El Fathi <khalid@elfathi.fr>, for the Debian project (and may be used by others). March 19, 2012 PYP(1)