Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep/awk column or variable?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting grep/awk column or variable? Post 302492083 by birei on Saturday 29th of January 2011 04:06:59 PM
Old 01-29-2011
Hi,

Try this 'perl' script:

Code:
$ cat script.pl
use strict;
use warnings;

die "Usage: $0 <word> <file>\n" if  @ARGV < 2; 

my $column = $ARGV[0]; 
open my $file, "<", $ARGV[1] or die "Cannot open file: $!\n";

while (<$file>) { 
    print "$1\n" if /\b${column}\s*=\s*(.*?)\s+/i;
}
$ perl script.pl 
Usage: script.pl <word> <file>
$ perl script.pl etot infile 

Regards,
Birei

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

can awk print column using a variable ??

i want to print the column file using awk or cut in dynamic manner like trmp=2;temp1=1;temp3=2 awk 'BEGIN{OFS=IFS="\t"} {print $temp,$temp1,$temp3}' client_data.txt or cut -f $temp1,$temp2,$temp3 -d"\t" file_name . but it is showing error , In awk can i use variable as in printing... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
36 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row to column converter using Awk or grep?

Hello, Can someone please help me on this.:confused: I have a file which has more than 1 million lines (XML file). What I need is: Search for "abcd" in the input file > output the result into a output.txt (colloum1) Search for "efghi" in the input file > output the result in to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Needhelp2
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep/awk on a single column in a for loop

Hi I'm trying to loop through a small list of id's and then pull out a few columns if the id matches that found in column 2 of the larger file. I managed to get one command to work awk -F " " '{if ($2 == '154080196') print $2,$3,$4}' tst.txt | less However, when I try it in a for loop I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flotsam
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a variable column using awk

Hi everyone, Ok here's the scenario. I have a control file like this. component1,file1,file2,file3,file4,file5 component2,file1,file2,file3,file4,file5I want to do a while loop here to read all files for each component. file_count=2 while ] do file_name=`cat list.txt | grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Gamemaster
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk arrays - compare value in second column to variable

Hello, I am trying to redirect files to a directory by using a config file. The config files is as such: xxxxxx,ID,PathToDirectory xxxxxx,ID2,PathToDirectory2 and so on... I have a variable that should match one of these IDs. I want to load this config file into an awk array, and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jrfiol
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk or grep to search one column and output the other

Hello, it would be great if someone can help me with the following: I want to search for the rows from fileA in column 1 of fileB and output column 2 of fileB if found in fileC. In the moment I search within the complete file. How can I change the code so only column 1 is searched? cat fileA... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manyaka
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use grep/awk to remove part of column

hi all, how can i use grep or awk to clean the following input data: n<>the<>96427210 861521305 123257583 n<>obj<>79634223 861521305 79634223 n<>nmod<>68404733 861521305 68422718 where the desired results is to remove all non-numeric characters?: 96427210 861521305 123257583 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep/awk part of info of a column

I have a question that I am at a loss to solve. I have 3 column tab-separated data, such as: abs nmod+n+n-commitment-n 349.200023 abs nmod+n+n-a-commitment-n 333.306429 abs into+ns-j+vn-pass-rb-divide-v 295.57316 abs nmod+n+ns-commitment-n 182.085018 abs nmod+n+n-pledge-n ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to awk or grep the last column in file when date on column contains spaces?

Hi have a large spreadsheet which has 4 columns APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96085 Corp IT Desktop and Apps APM00111803814 server_2 96034 Storage Mgmt Team APM00111803814 server_2 96152 GWP... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to extract value from column using variable

I am having trouble extracting the value in the columns declared in a variable. I have tried several different variation of awk but both give me the column number and not the actual value of that column. Any suggestions? Neither of the "extract" variables below are performing as desired ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
5 Replies
TRUNCATE(1)							   User Commands						       TRUNCATE(1)

NAME
truncate - shrink or extend the size of a file to the specified size SYNOPSIS
truncate OPTION... FILE... DESCRIPTION
Shrink or extend the size of each FILE to the specified size A FILE argument that does not exist is created. If a FILE is larger than the specified size, the extra data is lost. If a FILE is shorter, it is extended and the extended part (hole) reads as zero bytes. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -c, --no-create do not create any files -o, --io-blocks treat SIZE as number of IO blocks instead of bytes -r, --reference=RFILE base size on RFILE -s, --size=SIZE set or adjust the file size by SIZE bytes --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The SIZE argument is an integer and optional unit (example: 10K is 10*1024). Units are K,M,G,T,P,E,Z,Y (powers of 1024) or KB,MB,... (pow- ers of 1000). SIZE may also be prefixed by one of the following modifying characters: '+' extend by, '-' reduce by, '<' at most, '>' at least, '/' round down to multiple of, '%' round up to multiple of. AUTHOR
Written by Padraig Brady. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report truncate translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
dd(1), truncate(2), ftruncate(2) Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/truncate> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) truncate invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 TRUNCATE(1)