Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: syslog
Operating Systems Solaris syslog Post 302492007 by maooah on Saturday 29th of January 2011 04:17:40 AM
Old 01-29-2011
syslog

Hi all,

/var/log is the location it generates logfiles with name syslog , syslog.0 , syslog.1 up syslog.7 and it will delete the files after syslog.7 the old files but in my case i dont find any logfile in the /var/log location. This issues arises after some abnormal shutdown to the server before everything working as normal.
Any help or pointer to check the cause of the issue.

Regards

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf?

Hi Community Which are the available entries to forward syslog in syslog.conf i have put *.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit;user.alert;user.emerg;kern.notice;auth.notice;kern.warning @172.16.200.50 and it's not going through.giving error message like below: syslogd:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bentech4u
2 Replies

2. AIX

Cannot send syslog event from AIX 6.1 to RHEL Syslog server

Hi everyone, I am trying to configure AIX 6.1 using syslogd to send syslog event to syslog server configured on RHEL. However, RHEL never receives the events. I have tried to redirect the syslog event on AIX to a local file and successful. Only forwarding to remote server fails. Firewall... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michael_hoang
10 Replies
SYSLOG(3)								 1								 SYSLOG(3)

syslog - Generate a system log message

SYNOPSIS
bool syslog (int $priority, string $message) DESCRIPTION
syslog(3) generates a log message that will be distributed by the system logger. For information on setting up a user defined log handler, see the syslog.conf(5) Unix manual page. More information on the syslog facili- ties and option can be found in the man pages for syslog(3) on Unix machines. PARAMETERS
o $priority -$priority is a combination of the facility and the level. Possible values are: syslog(3) Priorities (in descending order) +------------+------------------------------------+ | Constant | | | | | | | Description | | | | +------------+------------------------------------+ | | | | LOG_EMERG | | | | | | | system is unusable | | | | | | | | LOG_ALERT | | | | | | | action must be taken immediately | | | | | | | | LOG_CRIT | | | | | | | critical conditions | | | | | | | | LOG_ERR | | | | | | | error conditions | | | | | | | |LOG_WARNING | | | | | | | warning conditions | | | | | | | |LOG_NOTICE | | | | | | | normal, but significant, condition | | | | | | | | LOG_INFO | | | | | | | informational message | | | | | | | | LOG_DEBUG | | | | | | | debug-level message | | | | +------------+------------------------------------+ o $message - The message to send, except that the two characters %m will be replaced by the error message string (strerror) corresponding to the present value of errno. RETURN VALUES
Returns TRUE on success or FALSE on failure. EXAMPLES
Example #1 Using syslog(3) <?php // open syslog, include the process ID and also send // the log to standard error, and use a user defined // logging mechanism openlog("myScriptLog", LOG_PID | LOG_PERROR, LOG_LOCAL0); // some code if (authorized_client()) { // do something } else { // unauthorized client! // log the attempt $access = date("Y/m/d H:i:s"); syslog(LOG_WARNING, "Unauthorized client: $access {$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR']} ({$_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT']})"); } closelog(); ?> NOTES
On Windows NT, the syslog service is emulated using the Event Log. Note Use of LOG_LOCAL0 through LOG_LOCAL7 for the $facility parameter of openlog(3) is not available in Windows. SEE ALSO
openlog(3), closelog(3). PHP Documentation Group SYSLOG(3)