Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting does the pid of background process show in /proc? Post 302491970 by homeboy on Friday 28th of January 2011 08:36:38 PM
Old 01-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
The code
Code:
[ ! -d "/proc/$!" ] && ((count = TIMEOUT))

tests to see the the directory is missing. If so it sets count to TIMEOUT. This makes the loop stop.
thanks so much.i thought the "=" to be a equal rather than a assign operatorSmilie
Quote:
Not all systems have a /proc filesystem. Maybe yours does not. This undermines to portability of that code.
my operating system is Linux2.6.35,it has the /proc,but the relative file(directory) of running background process can't be found in it in this example.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID of process started in background??

I am having a problem getting the PID of a process I start in the background is a csh. In tcsh and sh it's simple $! give it to you But in csh this just returns Variable syntax From the man page it should work but it doesn't???? Any help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stilllooking
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

read maps from /proc/pid/

hi, i hav a query abt reading the contents of /proc/pid/maps file.is there any system apis or functions available to get the data from dat file and parse according to my need. i need name of the .so,Create date of the .so file.,Location of .so file etc. please provide a good source. yes i hav... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaykhuntia
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A question about the PID of a background function

Dear all, I'm writing a KornShell script that calls inside it a function in background mode #!/bin/ksh function myfunction { . . .} myfunction |& . . . How can I capture the PID of the function myfunction that runs in background? Thanks in advance :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill PID running in background in for loop

Guys, can you help me in killing the process which is running in back ground under for loop I am not able to find the PID using ps -afx|grep <word in command I entered> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID from background ssh

Hello. I was wondering if someone can help me out with something. To simplify my life, I have written a tiny script to open an ssh tunnel through another linux host so that I can access the esxi hosts on that network using the client. For this I have to tunnel ports 443, 902, and 903. Here is what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: numetheus
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background process, return code and pid.

Hey all, Okay, this one is tricky and I'm not sure there is a niec way to do it, or indeed anyway to do it. The main issue revolves around timing out a hung ssh. I am doing this by creating a wrapper script for the ssh with the following requirements. My requirements are: Defineable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Closing open file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd

Hi guys, i need to write a shell script that will close file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd will calling exec 4<&- solve the problem ? thanks in advance :) (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_romeo
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/proc/pid/maps

I think the libc.so is shared between processes, because it is a shared library and OS is engaged for saving memory. But, below, the maps of bash, shows r-xp and r--p rw-p attributes to libc.so which mean private memory space. Can anybody explain this for me? :)cat /proc/$$/maps... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Using "$!" to get the PID of the Last Ran Background Process

Hello All, I was looking into creating a script that would be used only to start a Daemon and create a lock file... F.Y.I. It's for Nagios' NRPE Daemon Plugin... Anyway when I run the command to start the Daemon (below): /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -d And... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
14 Replies
Tcl_Exit(3)						      Tcl Library Procedures						       Tcl_Exit(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_Exit, Tcl_Finalize, Tcl_CreateExitHandler, Tcl_DeleteExitHandler, Tcl_ExitThread, Tcl_FinalizeThread, Tcl_CreateThreadExitHandler, Tcl_DeleteThreadExitHandler - end the application or thread (and invoke exit handlers) SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_Exit(status) Tcl_Finalize() Tcl_CreateExitHandler(proc, clientData) Tcl_DeleteExitHandler(proc, clientData) Tcl_ExitThread(status) Tcl_FinalizeThread() Tcl_CreateThreadExitHandler(proc, clientData) Tcl_DeleteThreadExitHandler(proc, clientData) ARGUMENTS
int status (in) Provides information about why the application or thread exited. Exact meaning may be platform-spe- cific. 0 usually means a normal exit, any nonzero value usually means that an error occurred. Tcl_ExitProc *proc (in) Procedure to invoke before exiting application. ClientData clientData (in) Arbitrary one-word value to pass to proc. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The procedures described here provide a graceful mechanism to end the execution of a Tcl application. Exit handlers are invoked to cleanup the application's state before ending the execution of Tcl code. Invoke Tcl_Exit to end a Tcl application and to exit from this process. This procedure is invoked by the exit command, and can be invoked anyplace else to terminate the application. No-one should ever invoke the exit system procedure directly; always invoke Tcl_Exit instead, so that it can invoke exit handlers. Note that if other code invokes exit system procedure directly, or otherwise causes the application to terminate without calling Tcl_Exit, the exit handlers will not be run. Tcl_Exit internally invokes the exit system call, thus it never returns control to its caller. Tcl_Finalize is similar to Tcl_Exit except that it does not exit from the current process. It is useful for cleaning up when a process is finished using Tcl but wishes to continue executing, and when Tcl is used in a dynamically loaded extension that is about to be unloaded. On some systems Tcl is automatically notified when it is being unloaded, and it calls Tcl_Finalize internally; on these systems it not nec- essary for the caller to explicitly call Tcl_Finalize. However, to ensure portability, your code should always invoke Tcl_Finalize when Tcl is being unloaded, to ensure that the code will work on all platforms. Tcl_Finalize can be safely called more than once. Tcl_ExitThread is used to terminate the current thread and invoke per-thread exit handlers. This finalization is done by Tcl_Final- | izeThread, which you can call if you just want to clean up per-thread state and invoke the thread exit handlers. Tcl_Finalize calls | Tcl_FinalizeThread for the current thread automatically. Tcl_CreateExitHandler arranges for proc to be invoked by Tcl_Finalize and Tcl_Exit. Tcl_CreateThreadExitHandler arranges for proc to be invoked by Tcl_FinalizeThread and Tcl_ExitThread. This provides a hook for cleanup operations such as flushing buffers and freeing global memory. Proc should match the type Tcl_ExitProc: typedef void Tcl_ExitProc(ClientData clientData); The clientData parameter to proc is a copy of the clientData argument given to Tcl_CreateExitHandler or Tcl_CreateThreadExitHandler when the callback was created. Typically, clientData points to a data structure containing application-specific information about what to do in proc. Tcl_DeleteExitHandler and Tcl_DeleteThreadExitHandler may be called to delete a previously-created exit handler. It removes the handler indicated by proc and clientData so that no call to proc will be made. If no such handler exists then Tcl_DeleteExitHandler or Tcl_DeleteThreadExitHandler does nothing. Tcl_Finalize and Tcl_Exit execute all registered exit handlers, in reverse order from the order in which they were registered. This | matches the natural order in which extensions are loaded and unloaded; if extension A loads extension B, it usually unloads B before it | itself is unloaded. If extension A registers its exit handlers before loading extension B, this ensures that any exit handlers for B will | be executed before the exit handlers for A. | Tcl_Finalize and Tcl_Exit call Tcl_FinalizeThread and the thread exit handlers after the process-wide exit handlers. This is because | thread finalization shuts down the I/O channel system, so any attempt at I/O by the global exit handlers will vanish into the bitbucket. KEYWORDS
callback, cleanup, dynamic loading, end application, exit, unloading, thread Tcl 8.1 Tcl_Exit(3)