Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting does the pid of background process show in /proc? Post 302491823 by Perderabo on Friday 28th of January 2011 11:30:22 AM
Old 01-28-2011
I tried that code. I set TIMEOUT to 7 and I replaced hanging_jobs with "sleep 3" and "sleep 100". The code works fine. I removed the evals and tried it again. Still works fine. While those eval's are harmless, I cannot see any reason to use them. The code
Code:
[ ! -d "/proc/$!" ] && ((count = TIMEOUT))

tests to see the the directory is missing. If so it sets count to TIMEOUT. This makes the loop stop.

Not all systems have a /proc filesystem. Maybe yours does not. This undermines to portability of that code. A more portable way to test if a process exists is to use "kill -0 $pid". This won't kill the process but it will fail the process is not there.

If anyone has any thoughts on why those eval's are useful I hope they post. They have me beat. Smilie
This User Gave Thanks to Perderabo For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID of process started in background??

I am having a problem getting the PID of a process I start in the background is a csh. In tcsh and sh it's simple $! give it to you But in csh this just returns Variable syntax From the man page it should work but it doesn't???? Any help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stilllooking
2 Replies

2. Red Hat

read maps from /proc/pid/

hi, i hav a query abt reading the contents of /proc/pid/maps file.is there any system apis or functions available to get the data from dat file and parse according to my need. i need name of the .so,Create date of the .so file.,Location of .so file etc. please provide a good source. yes i hav... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaykhuntia
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to get pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable

Hi, I need to get the pid of a process and have to store the pid in a variable and i want to use this value(pid) of the variable for some process. Please can anyone tell me how to get the pid of a process and store it in a variable. please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Amudha (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: samudha
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

A question about the PID of a background function

Dear all, I'm writing a KornShell script that calls inside it a function in background mode #!/bin/ksh function myfunction { . . .} myfunction |& . . . How can I capture the PID of the function myfunction that runs in background? Thanks in advance :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dariyoosh
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill PID running in background in for loop

Guys, can you help me in killing the process which is running in back ground under for loop I am not able to find the PID using ps -afx|grep <word in command I entered> (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID from background ssh

Hello. I was wondering if someone can help me out with something. To simplify my life, I have written a tiny script to open an ssh tunnel through another linux host so that I can access the esxi hosts on that network using the client. For this I have to tunnel ports 443, 902, and 903. Here is what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: numetheus
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background process, return code and pid.

Hey all, Okay, this one is tricky and I'm not sure there is a niec way to do it, or indeed anyway to do it. The main issue revolves around timing out a hung ssh. I am doing this by creating a wrapper script for the ssh with the following requirements. My requirements are: Defineable... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Closing open file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd

Hi guys, i need to write a shell script that will close file descriptors from /proc/pid/fd will calling exec 4<&- solve the problem ? thanks in advance :) (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: alpha_romeo
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/proc/pid/maps

I think the libc.so is shared between processes, because it is a shared library and OS is engaged for saving memory. But, below, the maps of bash, shows r-xp and r--p rw-p attributes to libc.so which mean private memory space. Can anybody explain this for me? :)cat /proc/$$/maps... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SOLVED] Using "$!" to get the PID of the Last Ran Background Process

Hello All, I was looking into creating a script that would be used only to start a Daemon and create a lock file... F.Y.I. It's for Nagios' NRPE Daemon Plugin... Anyway when I run the command to start the Daemon (below): /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -d And... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
14 Replies
WAIT(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   WAIT(1)

NAME
wait -- await process completion SYNOPSIS
wait [pid] DESCRIPTION
If invoked with no arguments, the wait utility waits until all existing child processes in the background have terminated. Available operands: pid If a pid operand is specified, and it is the process ID of a background child process that still exists, the wait utility waits until that process has completed and consumes its status information, without consuming the status information of any other process. If a pid operand is specified that is not the process ID of a child background process that still exists, wait exits without waiting for any processes to complete. The wait utility exits with one of the following values: 0 The wait utility was invoked with no operands and all of the existing background child processes have terminated, or the process specified by the pid operand exited normally with 0 as its exit status. >0 The specified process did not exist and its exit status information was not available, or the specified process existed or its exit status information was available, and it terminated with a non-zero exit status. If the specified process terminated abnormally due to the receipt of a signal, the exit status information of wait contains that termination status as well. STANDARDS
The wait command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
June 5, 1993 BSD