Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: make - foreach function
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers make - foreach function Post 302491619 by agama on Thursday 27th of January 2011 11:02:41 PM
Old 01-28-2011
I cannot explain the behaviour. I have 3.81 installed (Linux) which complains wildly when I attempted to have it parse your makefile. This is syntax that I usually rely on when using gmake and needing to do something similar to what it appears you are trying:

Code:
dir = a b c d
files = ${dir:%=%:/*}

all:
        echo $(files)

When I execute gmake the output is:
Code:
$gmake
echo a:/* b:/* c:/* d:/*
a:/* b:/* c:/* d:/*

Don't know if that helps you out any, but thought it might be worth tossing out there.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make variables in script function local?

Is it possible to make function variables local? I mean for example, I have a script variable 'name' and in function I have declared variable 'name' I need to have script's 'name' have the same value as it was before calling the function with the same declaration. The way to preserve a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
5 Replies

2. Programming

How to make a function friend to both base and derived class

Hi, I have a base class and derived a class from the base class, i want to print & read the data for the object created for the derived class,so i have overloaded both the << and >> operators and also have done the foward declaration. Below is the code snippet, #include <iostream> class... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ennstate
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Gani Network Driver Won't Install - make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make targ...

I attached a README file that I will refer to. I successfully completed everything in the README file until step 4. # pwd /gani/gani-2.4.4 # ls COPYING Makefile.macros gem.c Makefile Makefile.sparc_gcc gem.h Makefile.amd64_gcc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

I need to make a script that has 4 command line arguments to function properly.

I have no idea what the following means. The teacher is too advanced for me to understand fully. We literally went from running a few commands over the last few months to starting shell scripting. I am not a programmer, I am more hardware oriented. I wish I knew what this question was asking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wookard
3 Replies

5. Linux

foreach function in makefile

hi, I have 2 directories (../src/dir_a and ../src/dir_b) each with its own .cpp files. I have written the below foreach function, but the problem is that it is reading the .cpp files from both directories, dir_a and dir_b, to create libdir.a. Is there a way I can rewrite dirs (without... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bacpp
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Is it possible make the shell read functions 1 by 1 and calling an other function?

Greetings, I m wondering if it's possible do do the following : I have a simple function called "FindMoveDelete" which does the following : FindMoveDelete() { find . -iname "$FILENAME*.ext" -exec mv {} "$PATH/$VAR" \; && find . -maxdepth 1 -type d -iname "$FILENAME*" -exec rm -rf {}... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sekullos
6 Replies

7. Programming

Make sure strtok_r() function

Hello, I was trying to understand more on strtok_r() function with following code: #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> /* *From http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=3&topic=strtok_r A FreeBSD man pages * */ int main() { char string1; char *sep =... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make nested function local?

Hi, If I declare a function inside another function, it overwrites any previously declared function with the same name. This is NOT what I want. Example: #!/bin/bash _test() { echo test; } _myf() { # I'm using the same name as the other function. _test() { echo local test; }... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Idea to make a function as microservice

Hello - I wrote few scripts on bash shell script and grafana triggers those scripts and show on console . I want to write the console output to a log file as well by using tee command and I am successful as well . I am wondering Instead of writing same logic on multiple scripts , why... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varja
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Function - Make your function return an exit status

Hi All, Good Day, seeking for your assistance on how to not perform my 2nd, 3rd,4th etc.. function if my 1st function is in else condition. #Body function1() { if then echo "exist" else echo "not exist" } #if not exist in function1 my all other function will not proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meister29
4 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
This loop prints every value in a list together with the square and cube of the value: set values {1 3 5 7 2 4 6 8} ;# Odd numbers first, for fun! puts "Value Square Cube" ;# Neat-looking header foreach x $values { ;# Now loop and print... puts " $x [expr {$x**2}] [expr {$x**3}]" } The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)