Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming AIX linker oddities...what is going on? Post 302491523 by DreamWarrior on Thursday 27th of January 2011 04:45:46 PM
Old 01-27-2011
We'll see how that works.... I hate this linker, lol. Out of all the environments I've used, I think AIX is probably the worst. HP-UX probably was my favorite, and I originally hated Linux and thought it was really quirky, but AIX has made it look better, HA!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linker (ld)

hai I have installed Linux 7.0 on my system and i have an doubt the linker i ran simple hello.c program with gcc compiler gcc -c hello.c i want linker to produce the output so i put on the command line as ld first.o -lc but it is not running ver properly but there is an... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
1 Replies

2. Solaris

ftp oddities

I have recently set up a connection b/t a sun ultra 60 running solaris 8 and a regular old pc running XP. Unfortunately I only know a little bit about networking thanks to Winblows plug and play mentality. Can anyone tell me why my connection from PC to sun is intermittant? The IP is always... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Serious_Lee
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

dynamic linker error

Hi All Could anyone help in giving a little background to the following runtime error. /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Mmap failed due to errno: 13. Seen when executing a 64-bit ELF executable. Thanks Ed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
3 Replies

4. Linux

G++ Linker Error

Hi All, I m new to this group. I m facing one problem during my linking of CPP code at Linux env. after compliation i m getting error "undefined reference to ....." Please anyone help me to resolve this error. Regards, ASR make: Leaving directory /fwk' echo g++ -o server ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ASRRAJ
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Hp-ux linker option -c

Hi, The necessary symbols in a shared library can be exported to the application using linker option --version-script in Linux. The same can be done in Hp-ux using linker option +e. This can also be done by listing all the global symbols with +e in a file with linker option ld -c filename in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roopa_v
0 Replies

6. Programming

GCC: Choose my own linker

Hi, I do not use the default linker, and instead us another one and pass this argument -Wl,--dynamic-linker=<path to linker> to gcc when compiling. However, what happens if the linker is not under /lib and /lib64 and I am not able to create a symlink to the linker in /lib or /lib64 due to no... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shompis
2 Replies

7. Programming

gcc linker address

Hai, I have two (Pgm1.c and Pgm2.c) simple programs, which is compiled using gcc. Now we have two exe's (Pgm1 and Pgm2). When i executed the nm Pgm1 and nm Pgm2, in the listed symbols the address of main is same for both programs (08048344 T main) at run time also. Doubt: 1) What is this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
3 Replies

8. Solaris

runtime linker errors

Hey guys I have a solaris 10 OS, with a zone configured. In that zone, I am trying to install an Oracle Client. However, when I run the oracle installer, I get the following error: ld.so.1: java: fatal: libexpat.so.0: open failed: No such file or directory ld.so.1: java: fatal:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goodvikings
2 Replies

9. Solaris

Runtime Linker Problems ld.so.1

Hello all, I am releatively new to Solaris and I am the System administrator for my branch at the FAA. This is the first time I can say I have really messed something up thankfully. My issue came up after installing and uninstalling Oracle Secure Backup which i felt I needed to do a clean... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbirkes
7 Replies
elfdump(1)						      General Commands Manual							elfdump(1)

NAME
elfdump - dump information contained in object files. SYNOPSIS
num] num2] name] section] num] num2] files... DESCRIPTION
takes one or more object files or libraries and dumps information about them. The following options are supported: Dumps archive headers from an archive library. Dumps the string table(s). (Modifier) Demangles C++ symbol names before printing them. This modifier is valid with and If specified with this modifier is ignored. If specified with name, the symbol whose unmangled name matches name will be printed, and its symbol name will be printed as a demangled name. Prints the .note section which contains the compilation unit dictionary and linker footprint. This option has the same effect as Prints the compilation unit dictionary of the .notes section. Prints the linker footprint of the .notes section. The linker footprint has information on the linker used to generate the file as well as the link time. (Modifier) Prints the section whose index is num. (Modifier) Prints the sections in the range 1 to num2. If used with the sections in the range num to num2 are printed. Valid with If used with only the relocations which apply to the section(s) in the range are printed. Dumps the file header (ELF header). Dumps global symbols from an archive. Dumps the section headers. (Modifier) Dumps output information in hexadecimal, octal, or decimal format, with all options. Displays the run-time interpreter path name for (usually the location of the dynamic loader and microloader). Only shared bound executables have this string. To change the setting, use the command. Prints the object dictionary for one or more executable files, if the source file was compiled with the option or linked with (PA-RISC only) option. The object dictionary entry contains the name of the object file that contributed to a particular section, the relative offset within the section, size of the object file's contribution, and attributes of the entry. Prints the CTTI section headers according to the directory member relationship. Dumps the section in shared libraries and dynamically linked program files. Prints the section, which is only created when the incremental linker is used (with the command), or when the linker option is used (which is the default), along with the compiler option, (which is NOT the default). Prints the section, which is only created when the incremental linker is used (with the command), or when the linker option is used (which is the default), along with the compiler option, (which is NOT the default). Prints the section, which is only created when the incremental linker is used (with the command), or when the linker option is used (which is the default), along with the compiler option, (which is NOT the default). (Modifier) Dumps information about the specified section or symbol name. This option is valid with and If used with name pertains to a symbol name and will only dump the symbol entry whose name matches name. If used with the other options, name pertains to a section name and will only dump the section whose name matches it. Dumps the optional headers (program headers). (Modifier) Do not print titles, with all options. (Modifier) Suppresses printing CTTI section headers. Valid with option. Dumps the relocations. Dumps the section contents. Dumps any section beginning with as a string table. (Modifier) Dumps the section specified by name. Valid with and only. (Modifier) Dumps output information in short format. Valid with the and options. Dumps the symbol table entries. (Itanium-based systems) Dumps the value of in symbol table, in addition to information dump from option. This option is useful to verify the data stored in the symbol table. Prints the symbol whose index is num. (Modifier) Prints the symbols in the range 0 to num2. If used with print the symbols in the range num to num2. Valid with Prints versioned symbols. Prints the usage menu. Prints the unwind table. (Modifier) Verifies the CTTI section headers before printing. Valid with the option. Prints the version number for EXAMPLES
To see the functions exported from a shared library: To see the global data items exported from a shared library: To display string table information To list the shared libraries linked with a program or shared library (dependent libraries): To list the embedded path for shared libraries opened by a program: SEE ALSO
System Tools ld(1) Invoke the link editor Miscellaneous a.out(4) Assembler, compiler, and linker output elf(3E) Executable and Linking Format Texts and Tutorials (See the option) (See manuals(5) for ordering information)