Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Run Program from Bash CGI-Script Post 302491497 by JMooney5115 on Thursday 27th of January 2011 03:28:13 PM
Old 01-27-2011
I changed the path to /usr/bin/vlc, didn't work. Also, 'source /etc/profile' does nothing. I tried in the terminal '/usr/bin/vlc /etc/profile' since I'm unsure of the use of 'source /etc/profile' and vlc just ran.

The use when the script is ran is 'www-data'. Could this be an error due to it being ran as that user?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Run ksh script from cgi

Hi, I'm developing a system which requires me to run a ksh script from within a cgi script. What sort of syntax will I need to do this, I'm sure it's simple but can't find out how anywhere! Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hodges
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Wrapping a bash script for CGI

I hope its ok to start a new thread, I was going to use my existing one but thought a new one would better clarify things and provide better search for future reference. Well I have my bash program working now, all nice, user input validated, output formatted, everything is looking sexy. Now... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andyj
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to run cgi -script on Cygwin ?

All, I would like to run a cgi script in cygwin which i have installed in WinXP. My CYGWIN directory structure is /var/www/ drwxrwx---+ 2 user Users 0 Nov 23 16:24 cgi-bin drwxrwx---+ 3 user Users 0 Oct 22 17:21 htdocs drwxrwx---+ 3 user Users 0 Oct 22 17:22 icons and another... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jambesh
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] Run a program many times

Hi I'm running a program many times with differents input. I mean that i run my_prog with some parameters and i wait till the end, then i start again another simulations with some others differents parameters. Is possible to make it automatic with a script bash. Maybe i need some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dedalus
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete Files with CGI Bash Script

Hi. I could use some help with my problem. I am creating a website. One option on this website is to delete a specified file, say an image, when the user clicks on it. I want to do this with CGI. I believe bash will be the easiest since I will just type the command "rm file". I also do not know... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JMooney5115
4 Replies

6. Programming

CGI Perl script to execute bash script- unable to create folder

Hi I have a bash script which takes parameters sh /tmp/gdg.sh -b BASE-NAME -n 1 -s /source/data -p /dest/data/archive -m ARC gdg.sh will scan the /source/data and will move the contents to /dest/data/archive after passing through some filters. Its working superb from bash I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to run script through CGI?

Hi I have written a script and I want it to be run from web with the help of CGI. can you please guide me . below script is working fine if run from backend but not sure how I should run through web. #!/bin/bash string1=look string2=0 string3=.sdn.dnb echo -n "enter... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
3 Replies

8. Programming

Calling bash script from CGI

Hi, I am having two individual scripts Script 1): CGI script - is a simple script which trigger bash script Script 2): Bash script - is a script which execute which collects file system utilization information from all the Unix servers If I am executing CGI script manually from command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command through html+cgi in bash

Hi everyone, I want to kill process through the web, so I create html page with single bottom that run kill command in shell script with CGI. Here is html code: <td><form METHOD="GET" action="http://IP:port/cgi_bin/script.cgi" > <input type="submit" value= "Submit" > <INPUT name="q"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: indeed_1
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to convert my /bin/sh script with cgi and html to run it on browser!??

Hello, I want to run this script on my CentOS 6 via browser : ________________________________________________________________________________________________ #!/bin/sh echo Username? read MY_NAME echo Provisional file name? read MY_FILE echo File NAME you want to save? read MY_FILE2... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: juta2020
16 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)