Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Awk/Sed: Search Pattern from file and Print Post 302491474 by pravin27 on Thursday 27th of January 2011 02:35:01 PM
Old 01-27-2011
You can use grep with option -f and -B

Code:
grep -B 1 -f pattern_file search_file

This User Gave Thanks to pravin27 For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk how to print if the search pattern contains speace

the data file is as below: > cat master.cnf /usr| location for usr|5 /src/ver1| version 1 |10 /src/ver2/log| ver 2 log |25 /src/sys/apps/log| Application log for sys|36 /src/sys/apps/conf| configuration location for app|45 /src/sys/apps/bin| binary location app|55my script is as below: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: McLan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a pattern in a file and print previous lines from a particular point

Hi, I am new to ksh scripting and I have a problem. I have a file in which I have to search for a particular pattern say 'a' then from that line I need to search for another pattern say 'b' in the previous lines and thne print the file from pattern 'b' till the end of file. For eg: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umaislearning
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiline pattern search using sed or awk

Hi friends, Could you please help me to resolve the below issue. Input file :- <Node> <username>abc</username> <password>ABC</password> <Node> <Node> <username>xyz</username> <password>XYZ</password> <Node> <Node> <username>mnp</username> ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haiksuresh
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed/awk for reverse search and print

I have a file which is DFDG START DSFDS DSDS XXX END (VIO) AADD START SDSD FGFG END and I have to print the lines between START and END (VIO). In the files there are multiple places where START would be followed by END with few lines in between but I need to print only if START is... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: pgbuddy
18 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to search multiple pattern in file with grep/sed/awk

Hello All, I have a file which is having below type of data, Jul 19 2011 | 123456 Jul 19 2011 | 123456 Jul 20 2011 | 123456 Jul 20 2011 | 123456 Here I wanted to grep for date pattern as below, so that it should only grep "Jul 20" OR "Jul ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print pattern between two variables awk sed

I am trying to print text between two variables in a file I have tried the following things but none seem to work: awk ' /'$a'/ {flag=1;next} /'$b'/{flag=0} flag { print }' file and also sed "/$a/,/$b/p" file But none seem to work Any Ideas? Thanks in Advance (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumbaba
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

One liner pattern search with awk/sed/grep

I have an array containing bunch of characters. I have to check this array for specific character and if "Not Found than" use a goto statement to go to USAGE set options = (A B C D E F) @ i = 0 while ($i <= ${#options}) if ($options != "F" || $options != "D") then goto USAGE endif @... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dixits
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to print the lines between the pattern using awk/grep/sed?

Hi, I need a help to search a pattern and print the multiple lines between them. Input file: Tue May 29 12:30:33 EDT 2012:threadWebContainer : 357:com.travimp.hotelierlinks.abba.service.RequestHandler.requestService(String, ITICSDataSet): hotelCancelReservation request: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aroragaurav.84
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed to search a particular pattern in a file backward after a pattern is matched.?

Hi, I have two files file1.txt and file2.txt. Please see the attachments. In file2.txt (which actually is a diff output between two versions of file1.txt.), I extract the pattern corresponding to 1172c1172. Now ,In file1.txt I have to search for this pattern 1172c1172 and if found, I have to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh kumar
9 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)